Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Not one for laws usually, but this is a good one.
  • Options
    Whilst I'm not against a charge for plastic bags. They wouldn't litter this country if people didn't throw them around.
  • Options
    Spending a lot of time in Wales, I'm used to this. Bit of a pain at times but it does help to make me remember to get the reusable bags out of the car boot.
  • Options
    Buy a fish, razor blades or an axe and you get a free bag.
  • Options
    The charge is too low for me. If the government wants to discourage the use of plastic bags, the price should be at least 15p. At 5p, it would just be factored in to many people's weekly shopping bill and becomes a stealth tax.

At least it's not as bad as the Scottish system, which put a charge on paper bags too.
  • Options
    I think the companies who your walking around advertising their logo should cover the cost, or make all carrier bags plain white.
    paying 5p to walk around advertising a multi billion pound companies logo is ludicrous.
  • Options
    Only applies to shops/companies that employ more than 250 people. The legislation is a complete farce.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cant they/dont they make plastic bags biodegradable ?
  • Options
    With all that goes on in the world I cant see why a frickin Plastic bag is high on the give a fck list.
  • Options
    the world id also cope before the advent of the supermarket bag so they are only advertising material in the first place

incidentally a chap who works with me takes hundreds of supermarket bags every now and again to his family home in nigeria and actually sells them ..almost considered as designer luggage in remoter parts
  • Options
    Mate, I find it hard to find the time to go shopping let alone remember my bag for life when I leave the house.
  • Options
    The bags are usually crap anyway and barely last until you get home.

Unless they up the quality from the current 'freebies' - I can't see it reducing the numbers that much.

Will the sale of bags now be covered by the 1979 sale of goods act? ;)
  • Options
    lolwray said:

cant they/dont they make plastic bags biodegradable ?

Yes, but that contributes to global warming.
  • Options

The bags are usually crap anyway and barely last until you get home.

Unless they up the quality from the current 'freebies' - I can't see it reducing the numbers that much.

Will the sale of bags now be covered by the 1979 sale of goods act? ;)

No, because you're not buying the bag, you're paying tax on it.
  • Options
    At least those scumbags who pack up their rubbish in a carrier bag and dump it by the side of the road will pay a little towards the environmental damage they cause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You can say that about almost anything that does not involve violence Charltonparklane.

It works well here in Portugal. When they brought it in the supermarket we use gave away bags for life for a week.

A week is about as long as my 'bags for life' usually last!
  • Options
    scidbox said:

This came in in Ireland about 10 years ago. Was against it at first but now has my total support. Amazed when I am in UK and I see people ask for a plastic bag when they only have a carton of milk and probably a bag full of bags at home. Took a while but now a totally different mentality over here towards bags and waste in general.

The cost is a lot higher in Ireland. That's why I think the price is too low if they want to discourage use.
  • Options
    It's been quite normal outside London to pay 5p for a bag for years.
  • Options
    Have they specified what they are going to do with the 5p tax?
  • Options
    I believe that some of the supermarkets will give the money to environmental charities
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Have they specified what they are going to do with the 5p tax?

It's not a tax. The money will go to wildlife charities as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    If it is a compulsory charge on a product then it is a tax.
  • Options
    long overdue
  • Options
    It's not compulsory though is it? No one is forcing you to use a plastic bag. If it bothers you, just take your own bag.
  • Options
    As long as the 5pence goes to funding recycling projects, litter pickers, environmental projects and other positive contributions to our lives and not the supermarket profit I'm all for it