Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's your favourite Radio 4 comedy?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

How old are you lot?

Younger the average Radio 4 listener but I drive a lot for work! The radio (Normally Radio 2 and 5 Live but with others thrown in) keeps me sane!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

How old are you lot?

Dazzler21 said:

How old are you lot?

Old enough to still call it the wireless.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

How old are you lot?

I'm the age of Radio 4's target audience.
  • Options
    There was a new one on recently that was quite good but I can't remember its name - had Marcus Brigstock and Kerry Godliman in it, about a family of middle class eco warriors. Have to say it is the first completely new show that has been funny that they have had on for a while. Several of the old favourites are still good though. Wish they'd bin the Now Show though and just give us the News Quiz every week.
  • Options
    Dead ringers and the news quiz are superb. Makes up for ‘have I got news for you’ only being on once a week.
  • Options
    Dead Ringers has had a resurgence, it was good when it first started and then went a bit crap and then disappeared completely. The newer series have been good. Particularly like the Brexit Bulldog. John Culshaw still always just sounds like John Culshaw though.
  • Options

Dead Ringers has had a resurgence, it was good when it first started and then went a bit crap and then disappeared completely. The newer series have been good. Particularly like the Brexit Bulldog. John Culshaw still always just sounds like John Culshaw though.

Yes and Jan Ravens Mrs May is simply uncanny. Is there a new series soon?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Not as good as her Diane Abbott. Not sure about a new series, there has just been a two part Christmas special on though.
  • Options
    I think we have to wait until June for the new season.
  • Options

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Splendid comedy, from a decent chap.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gkcst

Thanks for the recommendation. I thought this was genius. I didn't stop smiling once and the Tim Peake and Wilf Mbanga stuff had me creasing up. Just disappointed that I've missed the rest of the series.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

Not as good as her Diane Abbott. Not sure about a new series, there has just been a two part Christmas special on though.
    The Christmas special x2 was really really top draw.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm a massive fan of radio comedy (it has the advantage over television that your own mind provides the images, rather than someone else) - before it became 5Live, Radio 5 was a genuine public service radio station, providing, amongst other things, some great comedy, whilst preserving us from Nicky Campbell.

I like almost all that has been mentioned before - I think Count Arthur Strong went off the rails a bit after the first series. The Now Show suffered a bit with the change in personnel (but then I liked Mitch Benn & co. more than their replacements).

Radio 2 and Radio 4 (and predecessors) have produced some classics, available via 4 Extra, like Much Binding in the Marsh, Beyond our Ken, Round the Horne, Stop Messing About and (a must for a civil servant) The Men from the Ministry. I'll even admit that Roy Hudd has done some good stuff with the News Huddlines and the Secret Casebook of Sherlock Holmes.

Other than that, I'd highly recommend Naked Radio, Radio Active (the spoof on In at the Deep End was bed wettingly funny), The Consultants, and (I think this began on the Radio) Scotch and Wry. Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation is worth a listen.

Of course, no list of enjoyable radio comedy is, IMHO, complete without reference to the Doings of Hamish and Dougal, You'll Have Had Your Tea, which is probably my favourite R4 comedy.