Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's your favourite Radio 4 comedy?

edited September 2015 in Not Sports Related
I mean, obviously it's "I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue", but are there any others that you like?

Comments

• Surely I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is an amusing game show rather than a comedy?

If that is what we are talking about then the old favourite Just A Minute has its moments.

In terms of what I would call comedies, ie a dramatised funny story, decent ones seem few and far between these days. Cabin Pressure wasn't bad amongst relatively recent offerings.

There is a sketch show with Punt and Dennis amongst others which addresses topical issues that can be amusing if that counts.
  • I have never listened to Radio 4, so can't participate.
  • The only part of Radio 4 that makes me switch off instantly is the "comedy".

Oh, and "Thought For The Day".
  • LenGlover said:

Surely I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is an amusing game show rather than a comedy?

If that is what we are talking about then the old favourite Just A Minute has its moments.

In terms of what I would call comedies, ie a dramatised funny story, decent ones seem few and far between these days. Cabin Pressure wasn't bad amongst relatively recent offerings.

There is a sketch show with Punt and Dennis amongst others which addresses topical issues that can be amusing if that counts.

That's The Now Show Len and it is very good.
  • boggzy said:

The only part of Radio 4 that makes me switch off instantly is the "comedy".

Oh, and "Thought For The Day".

My other half has R4 on all the time, in every room in the house. Things like Just a Minute and the Now Show are what I find bearable. Mind you, even she is starting to go off the Archers.

• I'm to young for radio 4 lol
  • Listen to comedy on iPLayer at work, so here's a selection of my favourites:

The Unbelievable Truth (panel game)
    News Quiz (panel game/topical satire)
    John Finnamore's Souvenir Programme (sketch show)
    Cabin Pressure (sit com)
    Old Harry's Game (sit com)
    The Now Show (topical satire)
    Mark Steele's In Town (stand up)
    Just a Minute (panel game)

Loads and loads more in there, really is a great resource. Can also catch them all on Radio 4/4 Extra.
  • Favourite ever is Down the Line. Also like Mark Steele, The Now Show, the News Quiz and Just A Minute. Cabin Pressure is OK as was Count Arthur Strong (though not on tv). I do find though that too many of their sit coms either seem to be set in some mystical past or some sci-fi future and these do nothing for me. The David Sedaris' monolgues crack me up.
  • Stig said:

Favourite ever is Down the Line. Also like Mark Steele, The Now Show, the News Quiz and Just A Minute. Cabin Pressure is OK as was Count Arthur Strong (though not on tv). I do find though that too many of their sit coms either seem to be set in some mystical past or some sci-fi future and these do nothing for me. The David Sedaris' monolgues crack me up.

I loved Count Arthur Strong on R4 - TV not as good but still an immense comedy character.
  • I like Hut 33 when it's repeated (+ the old favourites of The Navy Lark and Goons - just for the old fashioned double entendres)
  • Sponsored links:

• Ed Reardon's Week
    Clare in the Community
  • Old Harry's Game is very good.

Lenin of the Rovers had it's moments

On The Hour, which became The Day Today on BBC2

Both Knowing Me, Knowing You and the League of Gentlemen started on Radio 4, so also worth a mention.

The Now Show is pretty awful, although it seems to have been going for at least 15 years

(Mark Steele is a massive Nigel)
  • What's radio 4?
    I'm too old for radio 1 but think I'm not older enough for radio 4.
  • Chizz said:

I mean, obviously it's "I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue", but are there any others that you like?

None that hold a candle to "I'm Sorry..."
    After a false start years ago because of a power cut shutting The Orchard in Dartford, I finally got to see the theatre staged version of the show and I have hardly ever laughed so hard for so long. Priceless. Strongly recommended when it comes around your way again.
    Back when God was a boy and radio was all in black and white "The Million Pound Radio Show" had a few bright moments but it didn't last long.
  • edited September 2015
    bobmunro said:

Stig said:

Favourite ever is Down the Line. Also like Mark Steele, The Now Show, the News Quiz and Just A Minute. Cabin Pressure is OK as was Count Arthur Strong (though not on tv). I do find though that too many of their sit coms either seem to be set in some mystical past or some sci-fi future and these do nothing for me. The David Sedaris' monolgues crack me up.

I loved Count Arthur Strong on R4 - TV not as good but still an immense comedy character.
    I listen to a lot of R4 comedy and like most of it, but count Arthur strong just seems like the biggest pile of toot ever. Can you explain to me what I quite clearly am not appreciating?
  • edited September 2015
    IdleHans said:

bobmunro said:

Stig said:

I listen to a lot of R4 comedy and like most of it, but count Arthur strong just seems like the biggest pile of toot ever. Can you explain to me what I quite clearly am not appreciating?
    With you on that one. Misses my funny bone by a country mile.

Clue is obviously the daddy. other favourites in our house are Cabin Pressure, Old Harry's Game, the News Quiz, Fags Mags and Bags and Ed Reardon's Week. Also enjoy Mark Steele's stuff, even if he is Palace. Marcus Brigstock is good as well. John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme and that Mitchell and Webb Sound are good sketch shows. The Unbelievable Truth is good and also like The Museum of Curiosity.

Now Show used to be hood but has been shite for a long while now, I only really listen out of habit these days.

• edited September 2015
    IdleHans said:

bobmunro said:

Stig said:

Couldn't stand the Arthur Strong show, and in fact its probably the only radio comedy I turn off (apart from some of the comedy showcases from the fringe which are often awful, oh and David Sidaris), I found it very one dimentional, deeply unfunny and more irritating than anything else. I do like some of the older shows like the Navy Lark, Revolting People and Hancock, but cant really get into the Goons.
  • Mitchell & Webb Sound = Brilliant.
  • 'Just a minute' a simple formula built to last. Now celebrating 50 years thanks to the sharp witted nonagenarian host Nicholas Parsons.

The special edition '50 years in 28 minutes' worth a listen if only to rekindle those old, lost voices, could/should have been afforded an hour imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jrxpt
  • Never really listened to R4 (apart from TMS & the shipping forecast, of course)

However, growing up as a kid I remember my parents would put on the radio after evening dinner which the sound of the Archers coming on would be my excuse to go upstairs & do some homework or watch tv. I do remember "just a minute" & now wish I had stayed & listened to some more, esp when Kenneth Williams was on it. Also wished I heard more of "sorry, I haven't a clue"
  • Sponsored links:

• Will listen out for Alexei. Have been rather disillusioned with R4 comedy for a while.
  • Cheers AK, will listen to that tonight. My experience with iPlayer deadlines is that bad programmes are available forever more in podcast form, but decent ones disappear from the intranet in a flash and can only be obtained as overpriced CDs.
  • Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Splendid comedy, from a decent chap.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gkcst

I agree about AS Imaginary sandwich bar is very good indeed.
  • Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Splendid comedy, from a decent chap.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gkcst

Agree - very funny. In fact of all the 6.30pm slot shows his latest series is the only one that had be laughing out loud in the car driving home.

The Godfather of alternative comedy.

• I'm not early a fan of Just a Minute, ironically it seems very repetitive.

Mark Steel's in Town is good. The Unbelievable Truth too.

And yes, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue is still brilliant.

The News Quiz is much better than The Now Show, too.
  • How old are you lot?
  • Womans Hour