Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Glad, Borough

Anyone here drink at The Gladstone in Borough? Cracking little pub and music venue. Going to be demolished for luxury flats. So sad what's happening to London and I have no idea what anyone can do to stop it.

http://deserter.co.uk/2015/09/pubwatch-the-gladstone-arms/

Comments

• Options
    That's a shame, went in there after the Bournemouth game, lovely little pub.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Anyone here drink at The Gladstone in Borough? Cracking little pub and music venue. Going to be demolished for luxury flats. So sad what's happening to London and I have no idea what anyone can do to stop it.

Start drinking more at pubs I guess? If it's more profitable to have it as a pub rather than sell it for flats then the owners won't be so quick to sell up.
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Start drinking more at pubs I guess? If it's more profitable to have it as a pub rather than sell it for flats then the owners won't be so quick to sell up.
    Hardly. The Glad is a very successful pub, but the land is worth more to build on. If you can make 9 luxury flats on top of it, you can make a fortune. In this case, some offshore company is going to level the pub to do just that. Another community pub gone and the money goes straight off to a tax haven.
  • Options
    Bloody hell what a depressing tale.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Vincenzo said:

Hardly. The Glad is a very successful pub, but the land is worth more to build on. If you can make 9 luxury flats on top of it, you can make a fortune. In this case, some offshore company is going to level the pub to do just that. Another community pub gone and the money goes straight off to a tax haven.
    Yes, that was my point. It's clearly more profitable to sell that land and build flats on it.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Bloody hell what a depressing tale.

Sorry to spoil the mood!
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Vincenzo said:

Yes, that was my point. It's clearly more profitable to sell that land and build flats on it.
    You could say that about anything though, I doubt there's a single building in London that you couldn't make a handsome profit from knocking down and replacing with a few more flats, that doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen.

London circa 2030 - a mass of identikit apartment blocks all sat on top of a Tesco Express, with a Paddy Power next door on one side and a Starbucks on the other.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    MrLargo said:

Vincenzo said:

Vincenzo said:

You could say that about anything though, I doubt there's a single building in London that you couldn't make a handsome profit from knocking down and replacing with a few more flats, that doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen.

London circa 2030 - a mass of identikit apartment blocks all sat on top of a Tesco Express, with a Paddy Power next door on one side and a Starbucks on the other.
    Exactly - one can only pray that special places like Greenwich and Blackheath escape this fate.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Drink in pubs ?
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Drink in pubs ?
    I do. That is not going to stop a developer demolishing it and building luxury flats though. London real estate is worth more than people's social lives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MrLargo said:

Vincenzo said:

Vincenzo said:

Exactly - one can only pray that special places like Greenwich and Blackheath escape this fate.
    Far to late for that, lost 3 local pubs in the last few years mine included all to pull down and replace with flats. They, the property developers will go to any length to get viable businesses shut down. This includes in my case getting the local council to publish lies about the business that repeated across other outlets. And the constant attempts to shut me up in courts about the truth
  • Options
    At some point the bubble will burst, as a lot of this luxury housing is aimed at foreign investors, who are driving prices up, and not even living here! Hopefully sooner than later.

• Options

At some point the bubble will burst, as a lot of this luxury housing is aimed at foreign investors, who are driving prices up, and not even living here! Hopefully sooner than later.

I hope it will, if there's to be any future for Londoners. But until there's some political will to deal with the problem, we face more of this
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/25/its-like-a-ghost-town-lights-go-out-as-foreign-owners-desert-london-homes
  • Options
    The world is changing in lots of ways. It doesn't often seem to be for the better, does it?
  • Options
    Shame about The Glad, went to a gig there last year and it was so mobbed I started to feel claustrophobic - not used to big crowds you know.
    Miss the OLB
  • Options
    Haven't been in there for a few years, not that is relevant to its current situation, but didn't it used to be a Gay pub ?
  • Options
    It was at some point, I believe. A while back now.
  • Options
    Thing is, only about 1% of the population give a fuck about our culture.

Most people are either too wrapped in social media and/or working long hours to have any time for pub going. The coffee shop is a much better option to carry on the above in a civilised atmosphere.

Then, there is the kids who can't afford it and probably to them, it is an out-of-date pastime anyway, something that your parents did.
    (Not to mention the other forms of non-alcoholic drugs).

From the councils and governments views it's more houses/flats to meet house building targets and investment. Bonus.

So, it leaves a view sad individuals that hang on to the past as the country turns in to some healthy homogenised society where pubs will be museum pieces of a bygone age.

Society has changed. The pub was generally and traditionally the home of manual labour working man. These have gone and along with, most of the pubs.

It is bizarre that you could smoke in work and some say it's bizarre smoking was allowed in pubs and restaurants and without dismissing the obvious healthier benefits of those decsions, how long has the pub got as a pastime? Will they look back in hundred years and be amazed that we often consume four pints, say, of beer?

I don't know if it's the developers I'm more pissed off at or the majority of the population who couldn't care less.

• Options
    Ssh don,t say it out loud, but I blame the bloody immigrants !
  • Options
    Went out for a wander lunchtime today and noticed that two pubs near my office had recently been closed and boarded up.

One is the Harcourt Arms, which used to be a cracking Swedish pub full of.... er..... Swedes, funnily enough!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pubs = Old People's Day Centres.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to hear what any young uns on here have to say about pubs. I certainly don't believe they're for oldies, not in London, anyway. And not at The Glad.