Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ASMR

Does anyone have any experience with ASMR?

It's the phenomenon, known as Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) which produces a distinct, tingling sensation in the head, scalp or back, in response to visual, sound or feeling stimuli.

There are some seriously "odd" videos on YouTube with tens of thousands of views, just containing people whispering, almost inaudibly, scratching various surfaces or making other very quiet noises to stimulate ASMR.

I suspect some people will admit to "getting it"; some will not understand what the fuss is all about (especially as most of the proponents seem to be crazy Americans); and the vast majority will have no idea what it is!

Comments

• The sound of a ball brushing Simon Makienok's hair 400 times <<<would listen

(I get this the most with a particular kind of elderly person's speaking voice - slightly wet-sounding but authoritative)
  • Have had it for as long as I can remember. It was great when I found out that I was not alone as I started to fear something was very wrong with me. Get it very strongly from whispering and when talking to certain people over the phone.
  • I think so. Didn't realise it was a 'thing'. Listening to one of those videos now. It seems it's supposed to be relaxing, but I find it uncomfortable.
  • IA said:

I think so. Didn't realise it was a 'thing'. Listening to one of those videos now. It seems it's supposed to be relaxing, but I find it uncomfortable.

I find it uncomfortable (or at least very off putting) most of the time. But it really does help me when I am stressed.
  • I had no idea this was a thing! Pleased to find out I'm not the only one that has it. My family think I'm weird because it feels horrible for me to touch wet clothes with my fingernails. Whispering definitely gets me and I feel it in my lower back.
  • edited September 2015
    When I hear the name Pardew whispered, my skin crawls.
    Is this the same kind of thing?
  • Also reading up about it, seems to say it's 'pleasurable'. Sometimes it is for me, but sometimes it's very uncomfortable. And with the whispering, sometimes it's more the sensation of air on the ear that sets it off as well as the sound.
  • IA said:

I think so. Didn't realise it was a 'thing'. Listening to one of those videos now. It seems it's supposed to be relaxing, but I find it uncomfortable.

I find it uncomfortable (or at least very off putting) most of the time. But it really does help me when I am stressed.
    I listened to about 5 minutes of it last night, and I'm still in a bad mood from it and feel weird because of it. It stressed me. Just some bloke tapping a wooden box and then a woman tapping headphones. The whispering in all the videos does nothing.

When I say I didn't realise it was a 'thing', I mean I didn't realise it was unusual. But I guess it probably is. Not strong sensations.
  • edited September 2015
  • I don't get it, is this supposed to be a good thing or bad thing?

I can't stand whispering and lip smacking. Programmes like Big Brother have to go off if they're whispering.

I've found it's got a lot worse as i've got older as well.

Am i the only one with this?