Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dogs home

Anyone ever taken in a dog from a home?
Been thinking about getting a dog for years, but never committed.
Weighed up the pros and cons and feel that the time is right.
I guess they give you a lot of sound advice prior (the dogs home).
Sorry for sounding so dim, but never owned a dog in my life.
Should you get insurance?
What would the dogs home need from us when we arrive?
Any help would be appreciated.
Looking for something not too big.

Comments

• Options
    They will have to do a home visit for a start sobbest ring ahead mate, got ours as a pup, lasted 13 years from Battersea.
    Won't ever get a better dog, as the little shoite we got to replace him is proving.
    Get the ball rolling by phoning, could take 6 weeks for the home visit.
  • Options
    I would recommend insurance but ideally the sort that they guarantee a more or less stable premium on. We got stung by one 'cheap' insurance deal where once we had claimed they tried to jack up the premium loads at the next renewal. Vets bills can be extortionate if something bad goes wrong.
  • Options
    Got "Solly" my Jack Russel cross, from rescue home, the visit took ages to sort, plus paper work, had to have him chipped and insured. Once I got him the first six weeks were a mare, but now, 4 years later, he is a loved, aborable member of our family, the two new grandkids love him, and I think he quite likes them. Was bullied into having him by my daughter in law, but so glad I did it.
  • Options
    Unless you live in the top end of London there will be lots of local rescues rather than punt up to battersea some will be rescues for all breeds Mutts in Distress for one, some for a particular breed German Shepherd Welfare for example. Lots questions to ask yourself before you decide what breed you want or even if you want a crossbreed, any home visitor will come armed with lots of questions. When I home visit I often take Bailey and watch there reaction to Bailey walking around their lounge, if they start moving the best China and are nervous around him I would know they would be suited to a smaller breed.
    Insurance..... A lot of my friends don't have insurance because it's not cost effective (5/6/7) German Shepherds £400 ish a month, but they religiously put the money into the bank. But bare in mind, your holidays when they need kennelling. Jabs around £40 per dog + KC if they are kennelled
    Where are you, I'll get a localish rescue for you to check out. Some great dogs in rescues I'm sure you won't regret it.
  • Options
    Thanks TCE. I live in Blackfen.
    Looking for a smallish dog.
    I would love an Alsatian, but the Missis wouldn't
    Just a smallish Labrador type.
    Didn't realise it would be a six week process.
    Imagined just turn up and go.
    I guess they need to do reasarch prior to release.
    I know BDH have a branch at Brands Hatch, so that was going to be our first point of call.
    Thanks all for you're advice
  • Options

Thanks TCE. I live in Blackfen.
    Looking for a smallish dog.
    I would love an Alsatian, but the Missis wouldn't
    Just a smallish Labrador type.
    Didn't realise it would be a six week process.
    Imagined just turn up and go.
    I guess they need to do reasarch prior to release.
    I know BDH have a branch at Brands Hatch, so that was going to be our first point of call.
    Thanks all for you're advice

Last time we went there I would say it was 80% staffs and similar terriers.
    Nice pub nearby there though, can recall name, get the home visit sorted before you go in my opinion because if you get there and see a dog you want likelihood is you won't get it because of the time it takes to get the home visit sorted.
    Not meaning to pass on your chips but be prepared to wait a long while if that is the sort of dog you want as mainly in my experience they are full of old greyhounds, staffs, large dogs.
    Good luck though
  • Options
    If some breeders had the same 6/8 week process there wouldn't be half the rescues the are. I waited two years for Bailey and three for JJ yet I can buy a puppy for £200 in ten minutes from a kitchen breeder and that's the problem.
  • Options
    Can't beat a retired Greyhound, might check them out before making a decision.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Can't beat a retired Greyhound, might check them out before making a decision.

Good shout, I worked alongside a lady who got ex racing dogs and she prepared them for re homing, they can be quite nervous and skittish and certainly should kept on a lead unless in a secure enclosure until used their new surroundings but lovely natured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    My parents used to rescue them when I was growing up. They're gentle and devoted, with very few exceptions. Would recommend a small female as it's a first dog.
    http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/adopt-a-greyhound/
  • Options
    Staff's are great with kids mate, lovely dogs.
  • Options
    I know mate, but try telling the Missis that.
    Thanks for all your responses.
  • Options
    wouldn't be we without mine, he just adores people, shit guard dog.
  • Options
    Where do you live :-)
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2015
    Got our Jack Russell cross about 4 months ago from Last Chance Rescue in Edenbridge, we live in Lee, but it was worth going down there. Was pretty easy to sort, the dog was chipped and we took her back to be spayed a few weeks later at no charge. She's about 3 years old and was in a bit of a state when we got her but she's terrific now and my kids absolutely adore her. Amazing temperament. They have a lot of dogs to view on there site. They have local people that come to do a home visit, a lovely couple from Sidcup came to us and gave us loads of advice. From first visit the dog was home with us in 5 days.
  • Options
    Thanks Nug. Will give them a call
  • Options
    We took home a pup from last chance a year ago. Met him on the Saturday and had him home 24 hours later.
  • Options
    Don't be scared of getting a rescue dog. Personally think it's a great thing to do vs buying from a breeder but understand it's not for everyone.

Some of them have been horribly mistreated and have issues as a result but others are perfectly 'sane'. Even the damaged ones can be worked with but best not get one if you're a beginner with dogs. Do your research with the home on the dogs background and behaviour since they've had the dog.

Do your research on breeds that you think will fit you lifestyle too. You'll be unlikely to get a pedigree, but if the home has a decent idea what mix the dog is, you can get some kind of idea what's its character will be like.

If you get a pup you have a better chance of training them to be the dog you want but be prepared for cleaning up house training accidents.

I would recommend going to obedience classes - they will help you learn how to train your dog as well as help you dog get trained I didn't use everything I did at the class I attended but the skills I learnt helped me teach my dog other things.

Spend lots of time training once you get one. You really get out what you put in but it can take a lot of work and patience to get them behaving just how you want.

As others have said, they'll want to do a home check and there will be some paperwork to complete and a fee will be payable. Exactly what you'll need do will vary from charity to charity. If they aren't already, you'll be required to get the dog neutered as well (great thing to do anyway).

Personally don't have insurance. We save a bit of money every month to help pay for any vets bills we might get because we have a dog and three cats we decided that with the premium for all of them, by the time to we'd have paid your excess the insurance wasn't good value. I may regret that if one ever gets seriously ill or injured but I'm also fortunate enough that I could probably find the money another way. If you're not in a financial position to pay up yourself, or too soft to be able have them put down, insurance is probably a good idea.
  • Options
    Going to the rescue centre at Edenbridge this weekend.
    Let you know how we get on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I think getting a rescue dog is a great thing to do. I'm on my second rescue and admittedly this one poses a challenge at times, overall they're always worth it.

insurance is a must I would say, it does unfortunately get expensive as the dog gets older but I believe it's an easier way to afford sometimes large vet bills.

good luck.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Greyhounds do make great pets and can be in most cases be easy to adapt to the home life. Taking one from a retirement kennel will mean they have been vetted as suitable for rehousing. They will usually be spayed or nutured, and will have all their jabs up to date. You will also become part of a community, with lots of shows and greyhound gatherings held around the south east. As for size, they look big but it's all legs, and bitches can be quite tiny.
    They also require very little exercise, they are used to lounging about most of the day. You will also receive lots of support from the rehoming scheme .

Once you,ve had one there's no going back. Worth considering see link below for Crayford retired,s .

http://friendsofcrayfordgreyhounds.btck.co.uk

• Options
    We used to take them for walks from a retirement home in Sissinghurst (I think), somewhere in deep Kent. They are just too big for what we are after.
  • Options
    Got our lab from Battersea (Windsor branch) 4 years ago, we all love her to bits. Cost a oner but chipped and spayed slung in
  • Options
    I thought this was a thread abour your dog coming home. Of course there would have been an apostrophe. I feel such a fool.
  • Options
    Get a collie+springer. I GUARANTEE your life will become much more interesting.
  • Options
    I would love a dog but not until we retire. Would have to be one that likes cats. Will definitely go to rescue got our cats from cats protection league.
  • Options
    Last time I looked a Labrador was quite a big dog. Had loads of rescue dogs over time some with issues we could gain out (not that I've ever been very gifted at that) and some not. The most loyal dogs I've had have been the ones I have had since they were small.
  • Options
    Yep, our lab is a big old pooch, brilliant tho
  • Options
    Rescue is a such a good thing to do. Got to have insurance in my view, been there got the T-shirt in vet bills. One of ours got to 3.5k in the blink of an eye trying to save her. At least you know that you can try everything you can and not have to make decisions because of money.