Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Goal Scoring Record

I'm a great believer that if penalties in 90 minutes go towards a players scoring record then ones scored in shootouts at major championships should definitely count (pressure and importance).

Do any of you staticians out there know if the Top 10 goal scoring record for England would look much different if this was the case?

Joint 1) Bobby Charlton 49

Joint 1) Wayne Rooney 49

2) Gary Lineker 48

3) Jimmy Greaves 45

4) Michael Owen 40

5) Tom Finney 30

6) Nat Lofthouse 30

7) Alan Shearer 30

8) Vivian Woodward 29

9) Frank Lampard 29

10) Steve Bloomer 28

Comments

• Options
    Don't agree - to start with shoot outs have only been around about forty years, so anyone who has played since then has their stats distorted compared to those who came before. And if you happen to play for a team that wins or loses in 90 minutes, rather than one like England, on a world level again the stats are distorted. I'm out...
  • Options
    Agree with Algarve, I can't see any logic in including them. (That said I do always think of Super Clive as having scored 4 at Wembley).

If you're looking at penalties I find it more interesting to not include them at all. That would put Charlton top on 46 with Greavsie, Rooney and Lineker all level on 44
  • Options
    Own goals is on 49 too
  • Options

1) Wayne Rooney 50

2) Bobby Charlton 49

3) Gary Lineker 48

4) Jimmy Greaves 45

5) Michael Owen 40

6) Tom Finney 30

7) Nat Lofthouse 30

8) Alan Shearer 30

9) Vivian Woodward 29

10) Frank Lampard 29

• Options
    edited September 2015

Saw this on Twitter, not sure how reliable it is.
  • Options
    10% of his goals have come against San Marino.

Seriously though, his record is a fantastic achievement.
    Could be generations before its beaten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great achievement for Rooney

From a selfish point of view, I'm happy he broke it at the first attempt as the prospect of weeks of "he'll break it this time" would have been unbearable. There was some record last season that BBC spent several weeks saying Messi would break "tonight".
  • Options
    Was checking some stats earlier during a Facebook discussion with a Rooney hater and discovered that a third, 16, of Bobby Charltons goals were in home internationals this of course at a time when England were by far the dominant force. Rooney has scored 36 of his goals in meaningful internationals although would I am sure be the first to admit not enough were in World Cup final matches
  • Options

Those are really interesting - including the "gimme games" shows how even it is in just about all regards.

I'm sure Rooney would swap all 50 goals for a World Cup winners medal though
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Those are really interesting - including the "gimme games" shows how even it is in just about all regards.

I'm sure Rooney would swap all 50 goals for a World Cup winners medal though
    I was surprised at home many friendlies Bobby Charlton played in considering that people always talk about how many more friendly games there are these days. Although I'm sure being the world cup hosts and qualifying automatically meant more friendlies than normal.

Yeah, you'd be mad not to.
  • Options
    Who cares about this record - he hasn't won one thing apart from a huge pay packet.
  • Options
    Don't get paid for playing for England.
  • Options
    Let's hope that with the 'pressure of the record' gone he can kick on and show his international class without people on his back. Oh it's England team
  • Options
    What's quite interesting from the Bobby Charlton stats are how much many of the countries we thrashed have progressed.

8-1 and 10-0 wins against the USA
    8-0 against Mexico
    8-1 against Switzerland

Are all unthinkable results nowadays
  • Options

Own goals is on 49 too

But he's played for England over 800 times since 1872.
    There will come a day when Own Goal is the leading scorer for every country.
  • Options
    edited September 2015