Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice from TV experts needed please

Hi everyone

Just bought a 4k TV in Currys. The guy said I need to upgrade my HDMI cables to 2.0 versions to get 4k. Their HDMI cables were £90! Anyone know whether I need to buy these from them or if it makes a difference getting a cheaper one online? Or if I need it at all? I've got my sky, Xbox and PS3 hooked up to my old hd TV with hdmi cables ATM.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    No, 4K will work with any HDMI cable. He was only trying to sell you a ridiculously overpriced cable. It won't make any difference in terms of the quality. 4K looks awesome by the way, enjoy your new purchase!
  • Options
    Don't you need HDMI 2.0 cables to get 60fps?
  • Options

Don't you need HDMI 2.0 cables to get 60fps?

That's what he said.
  • Options
    The hdmi 2.0 protocol is required for 4k. The cables are wired the same so unless they're really poor quality they will probably work at the higher bit rate. I'd stick with your original cables.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Used my existing cables on my TV, watched a couple of programmes in 4k (netflix) and as said its an awesome picture.
  • Options
    Brilliant! When would I need 60fps anyway? Films?
  • Options
    sorry to be Mr dumb here...... what is 4k TV?
  • Options

All tv is broadcast at 50 fps in the UK i think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wait to you see 8k!
  • Options
    The real question is the sound, pointless having an amazing picture quality if the sound still comes out of a couple of tin cans strapped to the sides of the box
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

The real question is the sound, pointless having an amazing picture quality if the sound still comes out of a couple of tin cans strapped to the sides of the box

Very true. I bought one of these from Richer Sounds as I didn't want multiple speakers. It is amazing quality.

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/cant-dm50-blk
  • Options
    Two tin cans!!!! I've only got one, no wonder the sound is rubbish.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Very true. I bought one of these from Richer Sounds as I didn't want multiple speakers. It is amazing quality.

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/cant-dm50-blk
    £300 to listen to the TV ?

You must watch it a lot.....
  • Options
    I use this with my TV, but like most retailers they are taking the rise with their pricing. I paid £295 for this sound bar , I wanted the Bose full surround but unfortunately the fun police reined me in on that one because of the cables. :(
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars-sound-base/samsung/hwj7500-xu/sams-hwj7500-xu
  • Options
    Got to say, I didnt understand a bleeding word of that! I know im probably not the target audience but couldnt they have written that in plain English?
  • Options
    This is one of those topics that really annoys me. If you go to AV Forums it explains there all you need to know about HDMI cables. Basically cheap ones work the same as the expensive ones. Digital TV is all noughts and ones, it's either one or the other.
    But if you can see the cables you might want to buy something a little more eye catching and blinging. As far as I know 2.0 refers to a channel from the TV end back to the av equipment. Most people won't need it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    So what content runs on 4k at the moment or in the near future?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wait to you see 8k!

I'm looking forward to 16k 32k 64k.

My old Commodore was brill.
  • Options
    Netflix does I think
  • Options

Netflix does I think

Netflix does have some 4k content, we watched what we wanted in a week and then dumped it. It wasn't worth the additional cash Netflix wanted IMO.
  • Options
    The big tv cable rip off.

It is a digital signal. The cable does no processing of the signal. If the signal is poor it is as poor in a two pound cable as a sixty quid cable. If the signal is good likewise.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The big tv cable rip off.

It is a digital signal. The cable does no processing of the signal. If the signal is poor it is as poor in a two pound cable as a sixty quid cable. If the signal is good likewise.

Indeed. The shits at Argos even try to get you to buy a rip-off HDMI lead for Humax PVRs when Humax include one in the box!
  • Options

Nope, 25fps.

Pretty pointless buying anything for 4k atm, basically no one production wise works in 4k unless the budget is huge.

• Options

Nope, 25fps.

Pretty pointless buying anything for 4k atm, basically no one production wise works in 4k unless the budget is huge.

Most movies are also shot at 25fps as well, so what's the point in transmitting 60 I wonder? Also according to CNET, HDMI 2.0 is a hardware change not a cable change and new cables are not needed.
  • Options
    50-60hz not same as fps which is the camera speed its a while since I did a course in film tho
  • Options
    razil said:

50-60hz not same as fps which is the camera speed its a while since I did a course in film tho

The old HDMI 1.4 supported 120 Hz apparently but nothing was broadcast at that refresh rate anyway! TV manufacturers say the higher refresh rate reduces blurring in fast-moving content like football. But tests have indicated that is not actually the case.