Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The International Break

For once the break may help us.
After visiting Wolves on Saturday we don't play again until Sat 12th against Rotherham giving our eight injured players further time to recover.
Some of our players like JBG may be required by their countries but it can't be many ,so the remainder can have a rest for two weeks.
When you list the injured players - Henderson, Vetokele, Solly, Jackson, Watt, Reza, Ceballos and Moussa it is remarkable that we are doing so well.

Comments

• Options
    How many of the players, other than JBG, are likely to be called up?

Most of new boys don't appear to be regulars in their national sides.
  • Options

How many of the players, other than JBG, are likely to be called up?

Most of new boys don't appear to be regulars in their national sides.

I don't know if there are any of our youngsters like Mitov and Fox involved in any games
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Talal said:

Still a frustrating time. Always hated international breaks.

Me too, not interested in International football.
    Possibly the only good thing about league one was still having domestic fixtures on an international weekend.
  • Options
    Especially now the Euros are so much easier to qualify for, there's no tension or excitement. It's more a case of avoiding failure. That's why I don't play Guitar Hero anymore - the best you can hope for is to not fail.
  • Options
    I'd like to see the Football season continue on during the International Break... If you have your First choice Goalkeeper is called up then tough, you deal with it
  • Options
    what about Kashi & Bergdich, won't they get call-ups?
  • Options
    I love the internationals, break or not. Bring 'em on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Especially now the Euros are so much easier to qualify for, there's no tension or excitement. It's more a case of avoiding failure. That's why I don't play Guitar Hero anymore - the best you can hope for is to not fail.

Speak for yourself @JiMMy 85 I'll be in the Algarve watching Ireland play Gibraltar in a non-event as we've managed to feck up our chances of qualifying yet again!!

I will console myself with a villa in the sun for 2 weeks and a few jars of Sagres!! :wink:
  • Options
    Going back to the original point, yes the international break is at a very good time for us, as we have a number of players either injured or coming to terms with the pace of Championship football
  • Options

I'd like to see the Football season continue on during the International Break... If you have your First choice Goalkeeper is called up then tough, you deal with it

That would be fascinating - it would be like Second-String-Week in the Premier League. Would only work if it could be enforced though - you just know teams like Chelsea would claim their player was too injured to travel for their country, but was suddenly alright to play for the club.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Talal said:

Still a frustrating time. Always hated international breaks.

Me too, not interested in International football.
    same here, far prefer watching Charlton
  • Options

That would be fascinating - it would be like Second-String-Week in the Premier League. Would only work if it could be enforced though - you just know teams like Chelsea would claim their player was too injured to travel for their country, but was suddenly alright to play for the club.
    Be a great opportunity for the youngsters as well, gives them a first team chance, plus could tighten the League... If Chelsea have their full squad on duty and play Charlton who only have two or three Internationals then the smaller teams have more of a chance of winning and could close the gap in terms of league position
  • Options

Be a great opportunity for the youngsters as well, gives them a first team chance, plus could tighten the League... If Chelsea have their full squad on duty and play Charlton who only have two or three Internationals then the smaller teams have more of a chance of winning and could close the gap in terms of league position
    Brilliant, this is sounding more and more like a good idea - what do we need to do to get the ball rolling?
  • Options

Brilliant, this is sounding more and more like a good idea - what do we need to do to get the ball rolling?
    Sadly my last point more than anything is why the idea is dead... FFP was brought in more so because the big clubs wanted to close ranks together rather than having another case like Portsmouth.

Any idea that could potentially see a club like Charlton or Newport into the Semi Finals of the Champions League isnt going to stand a chance
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Don't forget, when we were in the PL, we had a team of internationals as well. Imagine a team without Deano, Powell, Young, Fish, HH, Holland, JJ, Bartlett, Jensen, Kinsella, Kishishev etc

We would have been just as badly off as the likes of Chelsea
  • Options

Don't forget, when we were in the PL, we had a team of internationals as well. Imagine a team without Deano, Powell, Young, Fish, HH, Holland, JJ, Bartlett, Jensen, Kinsella, Kishishev etc

We would have been just as badly off as the likes of Chelsea

Know what you mean... Was just using a Charlton team with no Internationals as a general example.

Reckon Bournemouth would be a good example now of a team that wouldnt be drastically hit with absentees