Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Does It Feel Different This Season?

I took a quick look at Soccerbase yesterday to remind myself of last seasons Charlton results.
We've actually got the same amount of points after 4 games this season as we did last season after 4 games.

But without going over the top, and getting to carried away, this season it feels different , sure we've played on paper harder teams this season , than at the start of last season, but their actually seems more belief and togetherness that we could do something beautiful and special (sounds very romantic).

The question for me is , can we erm keep it up so too speak, we've all seen many a false dawn , regarding Charlton , last season we went unbeaten until the 18th of October, abeit with way too many draws, and i remember our 5 game winning start in the Premiership , when Danny Murphy was playing for us, but with a fully fit squad, Big Mac , and Magic Feet Tony onboard,, do we have enough to unlock teams , and score lots more goals this season?

And why does it feel different this season?

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=527&teamTabs=results

Comments

• Options
    Beaten tougher teams already and drawn where would potentially have lost?

Also there's more togetherness (apparently)
  • Options
    More play off quality players - Henderson, Solly, Diarra, Beaur, Kashi, Ba, JBG. Plus potential in Fox, Mak, Igor and KAG. Henry fits into first group if we get him although suspect it will be after the weekend though.
  • Options
    Last season we were riding our luck from day one. This we have only had one lucky result - at Derby - the others have been deserved, in fact it appears we could have won at Forest with better finishing.
  • Options

Last season we were riding our luck from day one.

That's just not true mate. Day 1 was actually two points dropped as we should have been home and hosed against Brentford.

• Options
    You know what - you are right AFKA, I saw that one on a stream, apologies. But soon after we were, weren't we?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This group of players seem to want it more. Maybe the respect for the manager and the desire to fight for the team is greater than last year.
  • Options

That's just not true mate. Day 1 was actually two points dropped as we should have been home and hosed against Brentford.

Was thinking about the comparisons with Brentford last year and Forest this year myself mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    its v early days - but it does feel good, we do have another 42 games to play, so as mentioned on other posts yes we are doing v well atm but I think after 15 matches its better to have a look then, great result on weekend but as I said before we should of had the game out of hulls sight not concede in the 89th min, if we would of drawn that match that really would of been wasteful and we done it too many times last season, brighton away a match that sticks out for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It's all about how we react when that first loss does come.
    We lost to a strong AFCB side but when we lost to Fulham away last season (it would be that lousy lot, wouldn't it!) we caved in and went onto some very indifferent form.

Luzon may be the difference, if he can keep the boys going like he has done so far already this season then we could have a decent season.
  • Options
    The core of this team is beginning to remind me of the Southampton team that went up two divisions and has stayed in the Premiership despite sales.

We have strong individuals, some of whom could already play at a higher level, and some who are showing good promise to perform at that level. Combined with the team spirit and a very good manager, we may well have the real thing here.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure at the same stage last season I was feeling just as good about the side.
  • Options
    Good points being made, it does feel different, it does feel better.

I'm not saying it'll end any better, but a few of these players seem better. As stated the Midfield has improved a lot.

Bob Peeters was loved at this stage, but I never really took to him. Guy Luzon's wife I have taken to very quickly and I think he has shown more of a connection with the players already.
  • Options

I think there is a danger that we going a bit overboard like some did last year.

Remember one poster was claiming Bob Peters was the third best manager in our history this time last year.

I think our squad is stronger now than then but injuries can soon bring us down.

Let's give it 10 games and see where we are.

This. It's easy to get excited but I really think some are getting a bit carried away. Squad is paper thin at the moment and I don't want to start getting carried away until we have strengthened more.

Although, I really love all the positivity on here atm re Luzon, RD and the players. Long may it continue.
  • Options

Also played one of our best halves of football in recent seasons against Derby and fully deserved that win
  • Options

Also played one of our best halves of football in recent seasons against Derby and fully deserved that win
    Still not topped that performance since imho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This time last year we had survived the threat of relegation and still recovering from CP's sacking, seen Riga who had done a very good job replaced with Peeters, and there was a sense of unease at best, mistrust at worst, with RD.

We've now got a degree of continuity with Luzon (same manager who ended the season well actually starting the next season!), the general feel is that the players brought in are of a higher quality, and I get the general impression that some of the network experiment fears have dissipated.

Not surprising that it feels different this season, certainly compared to the same point last year.
  • Options
    Many of us are obviously getting carried away, as we did last season but we are fans, we are meant to.

I start every season with the hope of glory in the league and cups.
  • Options
    There was the same sort of buzz this time last season, people were mentioning play-offs or a top half competitive season etc as much as they are now.. the problem seems to be our risk in squad depth, the quality and team morale is there.. but an injury or two and/or tactics being worked out (teams finding our weaknesses and punishing them) cost us last season, could do the same this.

Henderson coming back will certainly be a huge boost. When a mistake as big as Pope's vs Hull is made but the rest of the team brush it off and still go onto win the game that is quite incredible really.
  • Options
    I'm waiting until January/February before I get excited.

It feels great now but we usually don't tit it up until Christmas. If we can get past the hump I'll be excited.
  • Options

Just think.... we still have Henderson and Vetokele to come back.

Just said I feel people are getting carried away, but that post made me feel giddy and excited like a little girl.
    I'll have a word with your father young man next time I see him!

Go and do something manly!

:-)

• Options
    Potential. I think we all were possibly surprised at last season winning streak, apart form day 1 we scrapped some results, take Saturdays game, under Powell, Riga and Peeters we would have settled for a draw IMHO. Luzon is different gravy and appears to have got the 'win at any costs' attitude, that you must have in a results driven business/sport.
    However having seen us a few times I believe we have the potential to do well and at the moment I'm expecting playoffs at least (injuries apart), coupled with Luzons attitude, the excellent signings, the team camaraderie, the clubs stance and policy, remember it wasn't long ago that we had ex coach's saying how bad the regime is and intimating that it will ruin Charlton and RD picks the team, shows what they knew and it appears to be utter bollox.

Its our year Lifebuoys and Girls.
  • Options
    Last season Igor was out star man, and when he got injured, we struggled. This season, we don't seem as dependant on one player, Saturday with Watt missing should have been a struggle, but we found a new hero. That bodes well, though our bench showed that we still lack depth
  • Options
    I felt very good after we beat Derby in the third game last season. I don't think we've had a performance as good as that so far this season.

Far too early to tell whether we are top 6 material or not but the squad seems stronger and it's hard not to feel a bit excited.
  • Options
    For me the difference is that last season after the good start I got the feeling that 'if we're lucky' and put together a good run or two - we could maybe sneak into the play-offs, whereas this year I think that on merit the team could be there-or-thereabouts. (Huge 'could' there!)

Also, it feels like the club might be setting it's sights higher this season as last year I seem to remember it being played down when we started well - whereas this summer Katrien mentioned a higher points target (70?) and new signings (including players signing new contracts) have noticeably been talking about 'ambition' and stuff like that.
  • Options
    I love the optimistic feel around the club, but I cant help feeling its a little premature.

That is not to say that this team is not better than last years, I am sure that it is. My concern, as others have expressed, is the squad depth. Injuries are already biting, 4 games in and that's before other teams have had a chance to work out our better players.

We may add, other clubs may never get to grips with this side, one thing is certain, its far to early to get carried away. Let hope we ride this current crest all the way to May. Don't hold your breath, remember, its the hope that kills you.