Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evocative place names

Comments

• Last one - Slough - it evokes a bloated corpse of a pig in some sort of fetid Dickensian sump

That's because that is EXACTLY what it's like
  • Idle jr has just started working in a pub in a little village called Cockpole Green. Clearly some sort of STD.
    The pub is called The Horns.
  • Intercourse, Pennsylvania which is just down the road from blue ball, Pennsylvania

Been there and it's populated by Amish people and their buggies!!!
  • There is a town in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania called "Intercourse".
  • There is a town in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania called "Intercourse".

Thanks Colin
  • Places like Bagshot and Middle Wallop always remind me of the Two Ronnies, on the other hand......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankers_Corner,_Oregon
  • Places like Bagshot and Middle Wallop always remind me of the Two Ronnies, on the other hand......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankers_Corner,_Oregon

The United States Geological Survey classifies Wankers Corner as a "locale":[1] "a place at which there is or was human activity".

Love it! So much activity the Geological Survey had to get involved!
  • I drove through a place called Battledykes in Scotland, it conjured up the image of 100 foot robot Amazonian lesbians with thick Scottish accents fighting it out to the death.

Nice
  • I would drive past a pub every day on my way home from work, called The Sloop. Which despite being a type of boat sounds more like something discharged during afterbirth to me.
  • Indian Queens, sounds like it should be found in Lower Manhatten rather than Cornwall.
    Lovely song about it by Nick Lowe
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to pass by Feltham Close in Hampshire(?) shortly after Nether Wallop on holiday as a kid.
  • IdleHans said:

Last one - Slough - it evokes a bloated corpse of a pig in some sort of fetid Dickensian sump

That's because that is EXACTLY what it's like
    Yes i did pass through once... it felt like my consciousness was being shat on
  • Intercourse, Pennsylvania which is just down the road from blue ball, Pennsylvania

Damn I was gunna say this lol
  • Living in Wisconsin, we have a lot of cities with names of Native American/French influence that can be quite hard to pronounce

Oconomowoc
    Ashwaubebon
    Sheboygan
    Lac Courte Oreilles
    Chequamegon Bay
    Kaukauna
    Kewaunee
    Manitowoc
    Trempealeau
  • I live close by Lake Minnewanka - wanka pronounced wonka apparently in old Native Indian dialect. Bunch of wonkas.
  • Skinners Bottom in Cornwall, near Ventongimps!
  • Village not far from me called Wetwang. Named after an incontinent earl apparently. Or maybe not.

Are you in Beverley AUN?

No, living in the historic Ryedale market town of Malton at the moment.
  • Cockupbum, Mid Glamorgan
  • brogib said:

Cockupbum, Mid Glamorgan

Always thought that was on the Sussex coast
  • and who can forget Wetcock Innear?

Not a place name but something that happened to "a friend of mine" in a seedy Swansea bar once.
  • Sponsored links:

• The wicket keeper's Holding the batsman's Willy
  • dogpat65 said:

Everyone's favourite in donegal is the wonderful village of Muff just on the coast offers some brilliant water sports for the adventurous enthusiast.

http://www.muffdivingclub.ie

I can honestly say that I have been there. Great place :smile:
  • Village not far from me called Wetwang. Named after an incontinent earl apparently. Or maybe not.

Are you in Beverley AUN?

No, living in the historic Ryedale market town of Malton at the moment.
    was in Malton (lovely town) last week at Eden Camp .. looked in vain for the Johnstone horse racing HQ .. passed through Wetwang on the way in and out ..

Not a place name but something that happened to "a friend of mine" in a seedy Swansea bar once.

was he playing next to the glory hole?

was he playing next to the glory hole?
    With his very own Wetwang
  • None of you are playing properly. It has to be a two word name, and has to conjure up a picture of someone in your mind (literary character, movie star etc)
  • Well to recap my two in the light of the rules clarification:

Old Wives Lees is three words and thus void it would appear but nevertheless puts me in mind of a Stepford Wives scenario in a remote village.

Huish Episcopi puts me in mind of a jovial pickwickian dickensian character spreading bon homie to all whom he encounters.

• Ponders End - a 1950s film where a character considers their mortality
    Elmers End - where children's books go to die

Blandford Forum - a gentle old-fashioned cure for insomnia
  • Sandy Beds

Dildo in, I think, Austria

Cumming, Georgia