Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evocative place names

Comments

• Ashby Cum Fenby is the next village to mine
  • Addickted said:

Shingaycum Wendy in Bucks

I've already said that and it's in Cambridgeshire.
  • Inner Ting Tong, near Budleigh Salterton, Devon.
  • Indian Queens.

Looe.
  • I like the small town in Surrey called Friday Street immortalised by song of the same name by Sir Paul Weller.
  • Shepshed fc play at butt hole lane
  • There really is an Idle working men's club, near Bradford I think.
  • Village not far from me called Wetwang. Named after an incontinent earl apparently. Or maybe not.
  • Always remember the inner sleeve notes to Paul Young's No Parlez album in the 80s. Featured loads of photos of him and the group as they made the album. One was of a place they went through and had the caption of "have you ever..."

Shitterton (in Dorset I believe).
  • In Malaysia, there is Klang, which might ring bell with some of you. And, of course, Kuching - the sound of an old fashioned till closing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Inner Ting Tong, near Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Budleigh Salterton. I like that - sounds like a TV antiques expert
  • Upper Moutere...I heard it referenced in a movie one day in the same way one might use Timbuktu but it is just up the road from where i grew up for god's sake (Lower Moutere is closer)
  • Whenever i hear people talk about Charlston i hear Charlton with a lisp
  • Upper and Lower Slaughter.
  • Penistone always makes my eyes water
  • The first line of my previous addres was ' 1 Blue Ball '
  • Cust - I hear banjos and see dessert
  • Sponsored links:

• Dildo.

That would also make my eyes water
  • two villages just north of Lincoln: Toft Next Newton and Newton By Toft .. a bit like Patrick fits Michael and Michael fits etc. etc. .. there is another place on a small canal in the same area named Brandy Wharf .. a local comedian has expertly changed all the local road signs to Randy Dwarf

Reminds of when I worked in Manchester and the signs for Canal Street had their first letters removed. Quite appropriate for the area ;-)
  • edited August 2015
    Last one - Slough - it evokes a bloated corpse of a pig in some sort of fetid Dickensian sump
  • shine166 said:

The first line of my previous addres was ' 1 Blue Ball '

Rather that than 'Blackball' mate (another NZ one)
  • Village not far from me called Wetwang. Named after an incontinent earl apparently. Or maybe not.

You beat me to it. Always have a giggle as we pass through Wetwang whenever we go to Filey.
  • I always laughed at a sign the other side of Blackwall Tunnel that said 'Bow Locks this way'.
  • edited August 2015

Village not far from me called Wetwang. Named after an incontinent earl apparently. Or maybe not.

Are you in Beverley AUN?

You beat me to it. Always have a giggle as we pass through Wetwang whenever we go to Filey.
    Always seems to feature on Look North weather - or is that them trying to seem ironic or tongue in cheek?
  • Intercourse, Pennsylvania which is just down the road from blue ball, Pennsylvania