Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fantastic win for 4th-tier CZ Jena against Hamburg !!

German Cup 1st Round today - fabulous scenes in Jena when stumbling Bundesliga.1 giants HSV came to a sold-out-for-weeks Ernst-Abbe Sportfeld. In furnace-like conditions 13,800 saw a 35-metre free-kick missile on 15' (1-0), an equaliser 49', 2-1 in the 58th, a second heartbreaker in the 93rd, and finally a great winner ("worthy of the legendary Uwe Seeler himself") in the 116th.

A brilliant day for our Network comrades - Gratulieren !!

Comments

• Bloody hell. That square will be rocking tonight, eh, GHF?

• Schott to pieces !!

• 9 minute video here

Looks like a classic giant killing cup-tie. Must have been great to be there. Shocking decision for HSV's first.

That stand opposite where we were, GHF...has that been expanded?

• PA - many, many thanks for this sensational video !! Yes, FCC did put in some extra temporary terracing.

HSV's first goal a joke - the ball well over the line before being centred. And the winner - a superb goal and the first in senior football for the 19-year-old scorer.

Incredible !!

• Yesterday, after a so-so league season, FCC hosted rivals (third-tier) Rot-Weiß Erfurt in the final of the Thuringia (State) Cup. FCC prevailed 2-0 in what also happened to be the 100th derby match. Over 9000 attended to see FCC lift the Cup for the third straight year. Once again congratulations to our friends in Jena.

• Just unearthed some YouTube footage of the same fixture two years ago (FCC won 5-0!!). The Erfurt fans produced a banner 25m long which read (thanks to @GermanAddick for the translation) "If anyone's going to destroy the club it's us [our job, not yours]! Piss off, Duchatelet !" Popular and respected everywhere he goes, it seems ....
  • edited May 2016

Just unearthed some YouTube footage of the same fixture two years ago (FCC won 5-0!!). The Erfurt fans produced a banner 25m long which read (thanks to @GermanAddick for the translation) "If anyone's going to destroy the club it's us [our job, not yours]! Piss off, Duchatelet !" Popular and respected everywhere he goes, it seems ....

Did you forget the youtube link GHF?

Edit: found it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mpCciv4Rc - its at 1.18.

They seem like a nice friendly bunch.
    What i dont understand is why would the Erfurt fans be unfurling a banner slagging off Duchatelet when he owns Jena ? - or have i missed something.?

• Sadly a link is beyond me .... if you go to FC Carl Zeiss Jena vs Rot Weiß Erfurt Thüringenpokal 2014 that will get you started. Approx 20000 views. Banner appears at 1m 20 sec. Several other videos of the same match.
  • edited May 2016
    Bollocks to them. I don't want Roly's teams getting any success.

• I think what they mean is that as FCC's deadly rivals history decrees that any mayhem and destruction is their prerogative - they don't need an absentee Belgian to do the job for them. IIRC, RD does business in Erfurt and wanted to buy RWE first of all, but the strict German ownership rules defeated him and he ended up with 49.8 per cent of FCC.

No need to begrudge FCC success - they suffer much as we do. The Jena fans' hoarding says it all. Umbeugsam & Unverkäuflich - inflexible/unbending & not for sale (unbuyable).
  • Sponsored links:

• I think what they mean is that as FCC's deadly rivals history decrees that any mayhem and destruction is their prerogative - they don't need an absentee Belgian to do the job for them. IIRC, RD does business in Erfurt and wanted to buy RWE first of all, but the strict German ownership rules defeated him and he ended up with 49.8 per cent of FCC.

No need to begrudge FCC success - they suffer much as we do. The Jena fans' hoarding says it all. Umbeugsam & Unverkäuflich - inflexible/unbending & not for sale (unbuyable).

Yes GHF, that's what they told us when we were there, and I think this video predates his purchase of FCC, so at the time he was probably still interested in RWE.

BTW, I've had a message from a couple of Jena ultras seeking our help and support. The issue does not seem to be directly RD-related so I am going to try and get back to them to understand more about what's going on, before posting it up.
  • Get Latriene in there, she'll really fuck them over!

• PA - my understanding was that in Dec 2013 and Jan 2014 RD acquired the three clubs - first Alcorcon, then us and finally FCC, but Wiki appears to have had some details deleted and I cannot verify it. Incidentally, I've never understood how RD managed to do due diligence and all purchase formalities for three clubs in three different countries simultaneously and over a holiday period at that. Smart guy.

RWE clearly dodged a bullet. It's encouraging that FCC ultras have made contact - we/they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Yes GHF, that's what they told us when we were there, and I think this video predates his purchase of FCC, so at the time he was probably still interested in RWE.

BTW, I've had a message from a couple of Jena ultras seeking our help and support. The issue does not seem to be directly RD-related so I am going to try and get back to them to understand more about what's going on, before posting it up.
    If they need any Dutch leaflets - i've got 4900 of them they could have !

• In this season's Cup FCC at home to the mighty Bayern Munich tonight - currently losing 1-0 having given Lewandowski a cheap goal in the 4th minute. Showing on BT Sports 3.

The stadium absolutely bursting with 19000 - looks great.

• In this season's Cup FCC at home to the mighty Bayern Munich tonight - currently losing 1-0 having given Lewandowski a cheap goal in the 4th minute. Showing on BT Sports 3.

How do they boost the attendance like this? they must be putting up temporary stands

Like the tricolour nets they have

• The side opposite the main stand has the extra space. Temporary floodlights also.

Now 0-2 - another gift for Lewandowski on 34'.
  • edited August 2016
    H-T 0-3 - decent finish by who else? Lewandowski from the edge of the area 42'.

A nice little dig during commentary. In 1980/81, the season that FCC were losing finalists in the ECWC, Roma came to Jena 3-0 up from the first leg. FCC won a sensational game 4-0 (brilliant highlights vid on YouTube), beating amongst others one Carlo Ancelotti (used a naughty elbow late on, the dirty barst).

FCC have done their best, and no disgrace, but the difference in class man-for-man no surprise.

• Oh dear ....

Vidal 0-4 72' and Hummels 0-5 77'
  • Sponsored links:

• Finished 0-5. Fine display by the FCC goalie.

And we will need a goalie at the end of the season, I wonder where he will come from

And we will need a goalie at the end of the season, I wonder where he will come from
    Jena are not part of the player network. RD only has 49% of the club, and they told him where to park that idea.
  • Interesting that Bayern would send such a strong side to a cup game against a 4th division team and so early in the season.
  • edited August 2016
    Have they started redeveloping part of the ground yet? I think it's due to be one of the curves.

It would appear RD will be a major beneficiary (the plan being similar to the STVV model), but something like 80% of the money is coming from the state and municipal authorities.
  • edited August 2016

Interesting that Bayern would send such a strong side to a cup game against a 4th division team and so early in the season.

Anchelotti wanting to ensure his side have a good start with no potential upset against lowly opposition maybe?

Had Bayern lost to Jena then he'd probably have been thrown to the media in Germany and it wouldnt be the best start replacing Pep
  • Interesting that Bayern would send such a strong side to a cup game against a 4th division team and so early in the season.

Anchelotti wanting to ensure his side have a good start with no potential upset against lowly opposition maybe?

Had Bayern lost to Jena then he'd probably have been thrown to the media in Germany and it wouldnt be the best start replacing Pep
    I guess so, but you'd think they would have more than enough to see off Jena without risking the likes of Lewandowski.

Well that's the magic of the (DFB) Cup. Heaving 4th division stadium as the locals take on the glittering global stars. I remember back in the dim and distant past the FA Cup was like that.

I guess so, but you'd think they would have more than enough to see off Jena without risking the likes of Lewandowski.

Well that's the magic of the (DFB) Cup. Heaving 4th division stadium as the locals take on the glittering global stars. I remember back in the dim and distant past the FA Cup was like that.

Has the Bundesliga even started yet? - Could it have been a glorified final friendly for Bayern and Anchelotti to test his team ahead of the season proper?
  • Pretty sure the top clubs in Germany always send strong sides out in the first round of the cup, i think they use it as an extra pre season game. Even under Guardiola, Bayern always had near full strength teams
  • Have they started redeveloping part of the ground yet? I think it's due to be one of the curves.

It would appear RD will be a major beneficiary (the plan being similar to the STVV model), but something like 80% of the money is coming from the state and municipal authorities.

Yes, the curve where the ultras gather. They are very pissed off about it.
    I think we need to find out about the exact deal up there. We should bear in mind that he only has 49% of the overall club, but he might still have done a deal where, e.g. he (rather than FCC) gets most of the revenue from the hotel that I think is going to be built there. Which might be understandable if he has put up most of the capital, but less so if the German State has.

Ujpest are also developing their ground, and have moved out while it is being done.

Project for the autumn to reach out to fan groups there. Jena is an easy drive for me. It would be good to share authoritative information on these projects on CL, maybe needs a separate thread.