Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The only non-naff shirt sponsorship in football ?

The Charlton/University of Greenwich shirt sponsorship seems to me to be the only one that doesn't 'devalue' the brand of either side. I hate it when I see clubs that have sponsors that are basically promoting gambling to kids for instance or look to have sold their soul to a corporate but the Charlton/University of Greenwich one just seems so right and is a win/win for both sides. I think it's great for Charlton to be associated with a Uni and it's got to be fantastic for the University of Greenwich to be able to promote its name globally and be associated with such a popular sport. Anybody think of a similar non-naff shirt sponsorship of is ours the only one ?

http://eta.ecommzone.com/lz/CAFC/00AROQ/06a7b2fe606b33ab875fd7eff711fa6f71/actions/redirect.aspx?url=http://addicks.clubstore.co.uk/away-replica?utm_source=CA&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AwayReplica

Comments

• edited August 2015
    I believe that Northampton Town are sponsored by the University of Northampton although that is somewhat devalued by the fact that their new away kit is pink!

http://m.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/8203-Northampton-Town-reveal-pink-away-kit/story-27473269-detail/story.html
  • I believe that Northampton Town are sponsored by the University of Northampton although that is somewhat devalued by the fact that their new away kit is pink!

To be fair their away kit is pink to promote cancer awareness, which is a a great thing for them to do.
    Ah! I didn't realize that.

If so. Fair play to Northampton.
  • I believe that Northampton Town are sponsored by the University of Northampton although that is somewhat devalued by the fact that their new away kit is pink!

http://m.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/8203-Northampton-Town-reveal-pink-away-kit/story-27473269-detail/story.html

Not really a colour that has been associated with success in football I believe so that might devalue it somewhat...still, a 'good' shirt sponsorship in my view
  • Maybe the club and the uni should be knocking out very cheap sweatshirts and T-shirts to the youth of the world a la those 'UCLA' and similar ones you see people wearing...brand promotion and the old Tesco winner of pile them high and sell them cheap (and make a lot of money)
  • I don't like all the crap betting firms, etc either. But I'm not bothered about proper businesses like Standard Chartered or Samsung. One of the best in the past was the old blue star logo for the erstwhile Newcastle Brewery: local firm for the local club. For similar reasons I got on okay with Andrews AC.
  • I work in banking so the standard chartered one for me is a big loser for Liverpool, not that I like them anyway. Alcohol promotion to kids is wrong, full stop. Local business sponsorship is naff for a club, makes them look like losers who can't get a big name.Big corporate sponsorship looks like the club has sold its soul.
  • I believe in recent times Villa did free sponsorship for a charity.

Also, again fairly recently Barcelona had "UNICEF" on their shirts.

To be fair their away kit is pink to promote cancer awareness, which is a a great thing for them to do.
    Who isn't aware of cancer ?
  • I work in banking so the standard chartered one for me is a big loser for Liverpool, not that I like them anyway. Alcohol promotion to kids is wrong, full stop. Local business sponsorship is naff for a club, makes them look like losers who can't get a big name.Big corporate sponsorship looks like the club has sold its soul.

Why? Standard Chartered barely operate in the UK. The target audience is all those African Liverpool supporters. Your views on local firms is odd. Was The Woolwich a bad sponsor for us? Andrews also has national coverage but are HQ'd locally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have you guys seen the new Necastle strip? It has blue stripes in it because of Wonga!

Meanwhile the fans have launched their own kit in protest at Ashley's business model.
  • Greenie said:

se9addick said:

I believe that Northampton Town are sponsored by the University of Northampton although that is somewhat devalued by the fact that their new away kit is pink!

What a strange comment to make?
    Why ?
  • Greenie said:

se9addick said:

What a strange comment to make?
    Does pink resonate with cancer now or is it just for breast cancer? In which case either you are aware already or you will be none the wiser. So the comment is actually pretty reasonable.

And I say that as someone with stage 4 cancer on the scale on which 1= diagnosed and 5= dead or as good as.
  • se9addick said:

Thought it was to raise money for cancer research
  • Chrispy51 said:

se9addick said:

Thought it was to raise money for cancer research
    That makes more sense, good luck to them - hope they make lots for a good cause.
  • edited August 2015
    se9addick said:

I'm not suggesting that who is / isn't aware of cancer. Just merely pointing out Northampton's reasoning behind the choice of kit colour.

But if you're asking me who in the entire world isn't aware of cancer, I'd probably struggle to give you a definitive answer.

Ah! I didn't realize that.

If so. Fair play to Northampton.
    Sorry mate, wasn't digging you out over it.
  • se9addick said:

I'm not suggesting that who is / isn't aware of cancer. Just merely pointing out Northampton's reasoning behind the choice of kit colour.

But if you're asking me who in the entire world isn't aware of cancer, I'd probably struggle to give you a definitive answer. Apoligies for that.
    Sorry - I was being a bit flippant - pet peeve of mine when people say "we're raising awareness" of horrendous illnesses that I would imagine the vast vast majority of people in this country are painfully aware of.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

But if you're asking me who in the entire world isn't aware of cancer, I'd probably struggle to give you a definitive answer. Apoligies for that.
    Sorry - I was being a bit flippant - pet peeve of mine when people say "we're raising awareness" of horrendous illnesses that I would imagine the vast vast majority of people in this country are painfully aware of.
    True but some people may not be aware of early warning signs, treatments, care etc hence the campaigns around testicular cancer to make men "give then a feel" so it is picked up early and hopefully when still treatable.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

True but some people may not be aware of early warning signs, treatments, care etc hence the campaigns around testicular cancer to make men "give then a feel" so it is picked up early and hopefully when still treatable.
    A very worthy cause and definitely worth raising awareness of.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I know what you mean.

Well that's good, didn't know what cancer was until I found out they were wearing pink and googled cancer.
  • Turns out it's a crab. Thanks Google!

Isn't their home kit brown? Bit of a dilemma there....
  • edited August 2015

Well that's good, didn't know what cancer was until I found out they were wearing pink and googled cancer.

Isn't their home kit brown? Bit of a dilemma there....
    Cobblers
  • edited August 2015
    Personally I wouldnt care if we were sponsored by "Big Bouncy Bullocks" if they paid us enough money to get a decent striker.

Errr... so what is good ? (guess UOG is, but what else)
  • edited August 2015
    JiMMy 85 said:

Have you guys seen the new Necastle strip? It has blue stripes in it because of Wonga!

Meanwhile the fans have launched their own kit in protest at Ashley's business model.

I think the alternative home kit is a lot nicer. They also mention the fact that they don't approve of having wonga as the sponsor for ethical reasons.