Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pitch-side Sofa!

Comments

• We all agree Harveys are better than sofa world.

You can stick your DFS sale up your arse

We can see you sitting down

Sofa sofa give us a wave.

That's four new songs already.

That's just silly, Henry - the first one doesn't scan!
  • Can't see the problem personally. If asked I'd decline sitting on it as I like to have a decent view when watching football but I'm sure there will be plenty of takers and as long as they behave I don't see a problem with. Must admit I'm looking forward to seeing the first Charlton player to score next season in front of the Covered End to run over and sit on the sofa. If there was a pouffe for him to put his feet up then even better.
  • Stig said:

buckshee said:

What gets me is people slagging off Palace and their Ultras and not seeing how this is shameful? Both are high on the cringe scale but the couch is worse.

If Palace had done this I guarantee the same people on here saying it's "just a bit of fun" would be ripping the piddle out of them for it.

Are you absolutely sure you've used the right word there? Shameful? Shameful is when you do something outrageously bad. It's when you let your friends, your family or yourself down. It's when you just don't try and things go wrong. It's when your pet wombat disgraces itself on the middle of your new carpet. The only shameful thing here is the misuse of the word shameful. It is not, and never will be, shameful to place a sofa near a corner flag. Anyone who feels shamed by this, really must try to get a better grip of reality.
    And ditto to that misused and abused word "embarrassing"
  • Stig said:

buckshee said:

What gets me is people slagging off Palace and their Ultras and not seeing how this is shameful? Both are high on the cringe scale but the couch is worse.

If Palace had done this I guarantee the same people on here saying it's "just a bit of fun" would be ripping the piddle out of them for it.

Are you absolutely sure you've used the right word there? Shameful? Shameful is when you do something outrageously bad. It's when you let your friends, your family or yourself down. It's when you just don't try and things go wrong. It's when your pet wombat disgraces itself on the middle of your new carpet. The only shameful thing here is the misuse of the word shameful. It is not, and never will be, shameful to place a sofa near a corner flag. Anyone who feels shamed by this, really must try to get a better grip of reality.
    Yep , you've nailed it , shameful
  • It's a bit odd, and I can't see it lasting the season, but it doesn't bother me greatly.

As long as they never get rid of RRR or start playing "goal music" I'm pretty cool with them trying new things.
  • edited July 2015

buckshee said:

I honestly don't see the problem. Some of you lot are desperate for a barney over nothing!

It's proper embarrassing that's what. Along with showing the match live on the screen. I've no need as strangely enough I'm there.
    You are missing the point. This is not for you, me and anyone else who has been going to Charlton for years. The reality is that we probably will still keep turning up regardless because, well, we do.

this is about trying to generate a new market, specifically young families who are switched on to social media and consuming entertainment and media in a different way than happened in the past. A googlebox generation, if you will.

They know that the sofa wont be popular with a section of fans, but in the scheme of things, that doesn't matter The thinking is that if you keep aiming everything at the old guard who have been going for years you will end up having a slow and painful death. Try to do things differently, and you will eventually create a new market with potential for growth. Even if this doesn't work, something will.

Personally, I think this is a daft idea and would hate to be picked out by fancam or sat on the sofa. But I do understand the need to try new things to build new markets.
    I don't quite understand how this will be a way of bringing new supporters?

I also don't see what this has to do with these families you mention. apart from them recognising the googlebox show.

This goes on social networking sites, a young mother sees this and says to her husband, "hey why don't we go to football today" the husband reply's "but I cant stand those plastic seats and we both dislike football" the wife then says "actually we can sit on a comfortable sofa and criticise the game just like they do on googlebox" so the husband and the wife round up the kids, the ipads and jump into their suv and set off for the valley.
  • Stewart said:

Does that mean the capacity of the ground is now 27,114?

That's Blue sky thinking right there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Are the people who sit on the sofa meant to do anything? Do they commentate to a camera or something?
  • edited July 2015
    Struggling to think what is so embarrassing about having a pitch side sofa. They have them at the cricket and Baseball. The tiniest change and people get on their soap boxes saying the club is going to hell in a hand cart. Grow up FFS.
  • Not the first club to come up with the sofa idea. image
  • Unfortunate name.
  • 1StevieG said:

Struggling to think what is so embarrassing about having a pitch side sofa. They have them at the cricket and Baseball. The tiniest change and people get on their soap boxes saying the club is going to hell in a hand cart. Grow up FFS.

Calm down, Stevie G, Calm down. Soap boxes rule OK.

I would rather have a Thomas the tank engine as we've
    enough fair weather fans who stay down the sofa end on a match day.

• With some of the horror shows we have had at the valley there will probably be a queue to hide behind it !
  • Not really sure why you are all getting so worked up about this. It's not embarrassing.

Every sports club needs to increase it's commercial activity and you can see these days that clubs are looking at increasingly quirky ways of adding commercial partners who provide a club with either money or supplies. Clubs have nutrition partners, 3rd kit sponsors, travel partners etc etc.

Charlton have obviously partnered with Harvey's who will be paying us to sponsor the TV's and whatever else. As part of the sponsorship, Harvey's have obviously wanted to do a quirky little activation, for as cheap as possible, than will get the name 'Harveys' in peoples heads. It's not a new idea, DHL did exactly the same thing with Harlequins Rugby - http://parcel.dhl.co.uk/blog/dhl-front-row.

Also there is a now a 5 page thread on here about it which will please Harveys, and we have money from Harveys. Win win.
  • edited July 2015

Not really sure why you are all getting so worked up about this. It's not embarrassing.

Every sports club needs to increase it's commercial activity and you can see these days that clubs are looking at increasingly quirky ways of adding commercial partners who provide a club with either money or supplies. Clubs have nutrition partners, 3rd kit sponsors, travel partners etc etc.

Charlton have obviously partnered with Harvey's who will be paying us to sponsor the TV's and whatever else. As part of the sponsorship, Harvey's have obviously wanted to do a quirky little activation, for as cheap as possible, than will get the name 'Harveys' in peoples heads. It's not a new idea, DHL did exactly the same thing with Harlequins Rugby - http://parcel.dhl.co.uk/blog/dhl-front-row.

Also there is a now a 5 page thread on here about it which will please Harveys, and we have money from Harveys. Win win.

Nice try, but "obviously" if there was any validity in that Charlton would have mentioned the firm in their own publicity for the inititiative, since the commercial relationship would be the point of it. Looks like a contra deal for the sofa to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• People saying "it's a revenue stream" - erm, how?

Because Harvey's will be paying us
  • edited July 2015

People saying "it's a revenue stream" - erm, how?

Harvey's are paying us to have it.

Yes I'd mock palace if they had it, just as they would mock us if we had cheerleaders and they didn't.

It's the same as any kind of piss taking that you do.

The following is a public service announcement directed at all the constant negativity on here at the moment:

Please stop the whining about the insignificant things.

You're starting to piss some fans right off with this kind of negativity over things that aren't going to negatively affect you, but financially assist the club.

Maybe the forum should change it's name to Charlton Death.

I mean come on even with a summer packed with investment, you're all still finding reasons to be morbid.
  • Not really sure why you are all getting so worked up about this. It's not embarrassing.

Nice try, but "obviously" if there was any validity in that Charlton would have mentioned the firm in their own publicity for the inititiative, since the commercial relationship would be the point of it. Looks like a contra deal for the sofa to me.

Or they were using this as a test and the press release announcing the relationship with Harveys will be made before the season starts. Let's wait and see, but I would be very surprised if it were literally a contra deal for the sofa as, as someone else mentioned, it seems Harveys now sponsor the tv's at the ground.
  • buckshee said:

I honestly don't see the problem. Some of you lot are desperate for a barney over nothing!

It's proper embarrassing that's what. Along with showing the match live on the screen. I've no need as strangely enough I'm there.
    You are missing the point. This is not for you, me and anyone else who has been going to Charlton for years. The reality is that we probably will still keep turning up regardless because, well, we do.

this is about trying to generate a new market, specifically young families who are switched on to social media and consuming entertainment and media in a different way than happened in the past. A googlebox generation, if you will.

They know that the sofa wont be popular with a section of fans, but in the scheme of things, that doesn't matter The thinking is that if you keep aiming everything at the old guard who have been going for years you will end up having a slow and painful death. Try to do things differently, and you will eventually create a new market with potential for growth. Even if this doesn't work, something will.

Personally, I think this is a daft idea and would hate to be picked out by fancam or sat on the sofa. But I do understand the need to try new things to build new markets.
    I don't quite understand how this will be a way of bringing new supporters?

I also don't see what this has to do with these families you mention. apart from them recognising the googlebox show.

This goes on social networking sites, a young mother sees this and says to her husband, "hey why don't we go to football today" the husband reply's "but I cant stand those plastic seats and we both dislike football" the wife then says "actually we can sit on a comfortable sofa and criticise the game just like they do on googlebox" so the husband and the wife round up the kids, the ipads and jump into their suv and set off for the valley.
    I agree with this. Do any of you honestly think that a single solitary new long term fan will be "created" by this initiative?

I know it's in my interest, but getting the club on Sky TV more than once a season is going to encourage far more new fans than a chuffing settee. But when I, or anyone else kick up a stink about that, the same people who think that shagging on the pitch or a chaise longue is wonderful, tell me that because anything other than a 3PM kick off destroys their entire life and that the presence of the cameras apparently turn CAFC into 11 blind jellyfish, we shouldn't complain...

It isn't embarrassing or shameful, neither is it productive or ground breaking. If, as Airman points out, Harveys are not even getting a shout in the publicity, then the best it is, is money for nothing. Which will be very short term, but that's the way of the world these days.
  • edited July 2015

Not really sure why you are all getting so worked up about this. It's not embarrassing.

Or they were using this as a test and the press release announcing the relationship with Harveys will be made before the season starts. Let's wait and see, but I would be very surprised if it were literally a contra deal for the sofa as, as someone else mentioned, it seems Harveys now sponsor the tv's at the ground.
    The idea didn't come from Harveys, but regardless if they were the originators it would be called the "Harveys Fans' Sofa" and their branding would be much more prominent.

Charlton can't sell the TV advertising. It has little real-world value and limited opportunity cost, so it's exactly what you would throw in as an extra to make up a contra, i.e. both sides gain with no net cash benefit either way.

Sure Charlton may have covered the set-up costs as well as received a sofa, but no way would you launch a commercial deal without promoting the branding.

Nothing wrong with such a deal, but you're assuming a larger commercial relationship to try to explain the initiative. It's the other way around.

It's a sofa bed. If the match is boring you can pay extra to have it converted and have a nap.
  • I love how Watt is awkwardly photoshopped on to the sofa, its the same photo from the home kit announcement. I can picture our overlords sitting around a corporate table spending a whole day thinking this up. If you want to "engage" with the fans you pissed off just spend on the playing squad, if we are successful, 90% won't care who you are or what you do.

I can't wait for the kisscam

I'm next to @WSS and @Harry Monk no way am I kissing either of them
  • cafctom said:

Its just occurred to me that I've spent twenty odd minutes of my lunch break reading a 5 page internet thread about a settee. FFS.

You havent just read the Thread... You've also contributed to it, it seems ;)