Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic Foreign Football Team/Club - Does it matter to you?

(Qualification: I am not UKIP, indeed I politically self identify as an anarchist.)
However, I am interested, does anyone care if foreigners make up the majority of the team, which this season seems certain...or is success on the pitch all that matters?

Comments

• Options
    Troll
  • Options

We have a proud history of signing overseas players.

Our signing of Jeppson in the 50s lead to the league changing the rules to ban overseas players without UK passports

My only concern is that you need, IIRC, nine "home grown" players in the squad and are they any good (players and characters).

And you never know; a few muslim players doing well might make a few people change their minds : - )

• Options
    Is 50/50 for me...

Would love to have a team of British Players but their value now is so crazy its pretty much impossible i.e. why sign an English Left-Back for £2m when you can buy one from the Spanish Leagues for £500k its like buying a 10-pack of Carlsberg from Sainsburys for £20 instead of from Lidl for £5 because you love Sainsburys, why do it when you can save £15!!

Think these days, so long as we've got British players coming through from the Youth team (and who are good enough) alongside foreign talent then am happy with that, just would never want a full team and bench filled with foreign players
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me one little bit if they are doing the business on the pitch. Some of the best players I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt have been foreigners.
  • Options
    Jensen, fish, kish need i go on?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Troll

Nothing troll about it.

As it currently stands, with Solly and Jackson's injury records, it looks very likely we'll play a game at some point this season with no Englishman on the pitch.

I'm interested to know what people think of it

• Options
    Pringle, Svenssen
  • Options

Is 50/50 for me...

Would love to have a team of British Players but their value now is so crazy its pretty much impossible i.e. why sign an English Left-Back for £2m when you can buy one from the Spanish Leagues for £500k its like buying a 10-pack of Carlsberg from Sainsburys for £20 instead of from Lidl for £5 because you love Sainsburys, why do it when you can save £15!!

Think these days, so long as we've got British players coming through from the Youth team (and who are good enough) alongside foreign talent then am happy with that, just would never want a full team and bench filled with foreign players

key point
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Troll

Why? I posed a sincere question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No problem here, just want the best players we can afford,.
  • Options

Our signing of Jeppson in the 50s lead to the league changing the rules to ban overseas players without UK passports

My only concern is that you need, IIRC, nine "home grown" players in the squad and are they any good (players and characters).

And you never know; a few muslim players doing well might make a few people change their minds : - )

What exactly are the "IIRC" guidelines? Just the UK?
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Troll

Nothing troll about it.

As it currently stands, with Solly and Jackson's injury records, it looks very likely we'll play a game at some point this season with no Englishman on the pitch.

I'm interested to know what people think of it

We still have Cousins, Harriot, Pope, KAG, and maybe even Henry... That statement is unlikely rather than "likely" AFKA!
  • Options
    ilovelucy said:

Pedro45 said:

Troll

Why? I posed a sincere question.
    It is a question, IMO, that is seeking others to express views which may be seen by others to be overtly racist. I.E. If X forum poster says I want a British team, he can be seen as racist.

As long as we have 11 players sweating blood to play for Charlton, it doesn't matter where they come from!
  • Options
    I am far more interested in their commitment to the club and their ability rather than what their birth certificate might say. The worst thing is probably the fact that we have no idea whether we have signed some potential stars or a bunch of losers. I suspect it is a mixture but have no way of knowing until, at least, QPR have come to The Valley. Of course, in reality, we think we know what we are getting when an Englishman joins us, but I suspect that often we get it wrong.
  • Options
    If it works for Chelsea and Arsenal (and a host of other clubs), I don't see it as an issue. I want Charlton to be a success and I'm not bothered where our players are from...as long as they're going to improve us of course
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    ilovelucy said:

What exactly are the "IIRC" guidelines? Just the UK?
    If I Remember Correctly

"Teams currently have to field six home-grown players in the 18-man match-day squad but increasing it to nine would ensure at least two would have to be in the starting line-up.

The Football League deem home-grown players to be someone who irrespective of their nationality or age, has been registered with an English or Welsh club for three seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday."
    http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/11260278.Football_League_clubs_to_vote_on_new_home_grown_rule/
  • Options
    Nearly all the best players to have played for Charlton (apart from the GK position) have been foreigners; although SOME have been rubbish. So I am totally in support.

• Options
    Chizz said:

Nearly all the best players to have played for Charlton (apart from the GK position) have been foreigners; although SOME have been rubbish. So I am totally in support.

I dunno... Thomas Myhre (Norway) / Stephan Anderson (Denmark) / Stephen Henderson, Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot (Republic of Ireland) all have international caps :)
  • Options

Chizz said:

I dunno... Thomas Myhre (Norway) / Stephan Anderson (Denmark) / Stephen Henderson, Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot (Republic of Ireland) all have international caps :)
    :-) Although he didn't have an international cap, it's Sam all the way for me!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    There's an amazing stat (I believe it's true) that Celtic's 1967 European Cup winning side's starting 11 were all born within 5 miles of Park Head and had supported the club all their lives. That doesn't happen any more.

I'd rather a foreign player who relates to the club and the fans than a UK player who doesn't. If they wear the badge with pride they are Charlton, irrespective of nationality.
  • Options
    It was only a few years ago that Charlton played Newcastle at The Valley, when both teams' Captain, Manager and Chairman were born in their club's city.
  • Options
    I had a feeling that this issue may rear its head at some point. Personally I have absolutely no issue with who plays for 'our' club as long as they have the required ability, want to be here, and are good people that respect the fans.

Not that you can really tell anything from social media but our signings so far this season seem like really good guys. Though he was purchased last season, Igor appears to be an upstanding young bloke, and his little show of respect to Bob Snow was a lovely touch. Plus is wife is well fit.
  • Options
    In an ideal world I'd prefer a strong team of Brits with a couple of foreign players in there. My favorite all time Charlton side was Chris Powell's team of 2011/2012 which was mostly English with a couple of foreign players around the squad to add the necessary flair. That squad was easy to connect with.

Then again, if this team wins promotion then I expect it will be easy to connect with them as well. As it stands right now, I don't really feel much affinity with Luzon or any of the players who have joined over the last year. They're OK but I don't really get excited about them.