Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GAA

Comments

• Options
    Don't Kilkenny lose out because they don't/won't play football?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

no wonder they do well every year :wink:

Wow! Do you know what the criteria is @palarsehater ? I'd imagine population is one, which explains Dubs at one end and Leitrim at the other, but would have thought the Cats would be further up the list.
    FFS, bad as it is following Charlton, what chance have I got with Leitrim?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Wow! Do you know what the criteria is @palarsehater ? I'd imagine population is one, which explains Dubs at one end and Leitrim at the other, but would have thought the Cats would be further up the list.
    i would imagine its population as amount of people in dublin compared to the rest, and school funds etc, some good matches over the weekend.

think the dubs will get Sam again kerry don't look that great this year.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Oh, I don't know, with a bit of wining and dining, the right mood music and subtle lighting, I reckon you could be in there....
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Oh, I don't know, with a bit of wining and dining, the right mood music and subtle lighting, I reckon you could be in there....
    I think that's some form of incest @NornIrishAddick :wink:
  • Options
    Some semi-final between Galway and Tipp.

I was convinced that Galway had thrown it away with all their wides.

The odds would have been very long on neither Kilkenny nor Tipperary being in the mix for the All Ireland Final at the start of the Summer.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Cracking game between Tipp and Galway. 3rd year on the trot that only 1 point separates the two sides, with Galway (sadly for me) edging out the Premier County this time. Some great points, but some bloody awful misses from frees. Poor conditions, but no excuse for some of those misses.

The GAA will be gutted at Bubbles miss at the end. They love a draw :wink:
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

TelMc32 said:

I think that's some form of incest @NornIrishAddick :wink:
    Well, I do a cousin on my dad's side married to a cousin on my mum's side.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Cracking game between Tipp and Galway. 3rd year on the trot that only 1 point separates the two sides, with Galway (sadly for me) edging out the Premier County this time. Some great points, but some bloody awful misses from frees. Poor conditions, but no excuse for some of those misses.

The GAA will be gutted at Bubbles miss at the end. They love a draw :wink:

• Options
    As a neutral (mostly - a brother in law is from Tipp), I really enjoyed the game. Watching on RTE, I have to say that the pundits are worth watching themselves...

Roscommon v Mayo replay tomorrow, with it being a Bank Holiday South of the Border, down Monaghan way...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

As a neutral (mostly - a brother in law is from Tipp), I really enjoyed the game. Watching on RTE, I have to say that the pundits are worth watching themselves...

Roscommon v Mayo replay tomorrow, with it being a Bank Holiday South of the Border, down Monaghan way...

That's the whole point of sports coverage on RTÉ now, they try and create pantomime. Football is unwatchable on there now as they spend their time coming up with arguments and attacking our managers. George Hook made a career out of it, Dunphy would never have had a career if they were hiring on merit, and now Spillane, Brolly etc on the GAH. The head of sports on there has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    How good are Mayo? Difficult to say given how poor the Rossies were. As a Kerry supporter I don't know whether I should be worried or not. Time will tell.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

That's the whole point of sports coverage on RTÉ now, they try and create pantomime. Football is unwatchable on there now as they spend their time coming up with arguments and attacking our managers. George Hook made a career out of it, Dunphy would never have had a career if they were hiring on merit, and now Spillane, Brolly etc on the GAH. The head of sports on there has a lot to answer for.
    Dunphy has been a pastiche probably since Italia 90, but I was hugely impressed with Shefflin.

I'm a Tyrone man, so I probably view Brolly and Spillane in a more negative light than will others, but even they do sometimes talk sense. As for George Hook, the enjoyment is watching everyone else in the studio line up to dismantle whichever straw man argument he has brought to that day's game.

But, I will say that there is always debate and at least one contrary voice to be heard, which in the world of punditry has to be a good thing (Souness and Hamann on RTE were tremendous value for money).

As an aside, it will be interesting to see what the Chris Kamara/Jeff Stelling trip around Irish GAA clubs and counties will be like (a nephew met them when filming a segment with the Tyrone U17s, and The Irish Examiner reported them to have previously been at Michael O'Muircheartaigh's club, where they commentated on a match together).
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'm a Donegal man and Spillane literally called our football "shiite" in 2011. He's not doing that because he's a well-read scholar of the game - he's stirring up ratings with the lowest common denominator.

Same with Dunphy, Souness is my hero since he put manners on Dunphy and was never invited back to RTÉ. But at least Hamaan and Souness and some of the WC pundits want to analyse the game. Compare Giles, Dunphy and Brady complaining about players not being passionate with Monday Night Soccer on Sky, or Super Sunday. Sky have basically made it into edu-tainment, the analysis is interesting, the characters are a part of the modern game and sometimes Graeme Souness puts manners on Thierry Henry for a bit of excitement. Sky's coverage isn't with out its issues but RTÉ are manufacturing drama because they believe it's the best way to get viewers (and in this country, they may be right).

Rant over.
    Good luck in the semis, I live in Dublin so there'd something extra-special about a Tyrone victory. Knowing as many Tyrone people as I do, they'll have the game won before they walk out.
  • Options
    I will give Spillane some respect for, belatedly, retracting his "puke football" comments - but probably only because every team outside Ulster has copied our style of defence, including Kerry.

I really cannot watch football on RTE when Ireland are playing without turning down the sound, George Hamilton has been the bane of my life and the punditry is mostly shite (even Apres Match has got stale). I do absolutely hate Dunphy.

I had thought that Mickey Harte's best days were behind him, but I'm beginning to believe that Tyrone may just have what it takes.
  • Options
    Off topic talking football, but Ray Houghton does my head in on Sky for the Republic games. Someone needs to educate him that sometimes...less is more.

Just shut the feck up Ray!!!!!
  • Options
    I think this should upset everyone here then:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJyo1nQU9oE
  • Options
    Waterford have had a spell here where they have ripped Cork apart. Some stunning hurling from the Decies.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Two points down and they then just turned up the gas to win by 11!! Stunning end to the match. 4-19 to 0-20 Great game. Looking forward to a Waterford v Galway final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No Tipp, no Cats in the Final. A pivotal year perhaps.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Two points down and they then just turned up the gas to win by 11!! Stunning end to the match. 4-19 to 0-20 Great game. Looking forward to a Waterford v Galway final.

Little misleading there - the red card changed the game. Suddenly Waterford had so much space, two quick goals and it was over.
  • Options
    Well that was exciting. Hopefully Kerry will step it up on Saturday and squeeze Mayo out. If Donncha Walsh is fit that'll help.
    Can't think that the Dubs would be worried though.
  • Options
    thought the ref had a bad game yesterday few in the pub ( the alex clapham ) were saying all the refs play for the ga, will be another 50,000 + crowd at croker next saturday. so lines there pockets.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Well that was exciting. Hopefully Kerry will step it up on Saturday and squeeze Mayo out. If Donncha Walsh is fit that'll help.

There is the minor issue of a semi-final against Tyrone to be addressed first, though....

There are three matches in Croke Park on Sunday....

Two of them involving Tyrone teams (admittedly, the first match on the day is an U17 final - in preparation for the Minor Championship moving to U17 from U18 players).
  • Options
    GAA love those tied matches
    Mayo should have won, don't think they have lost their chance as they will now try and exploit the Kerry back line which looked vulnerable.
    Dublin will win the all Ireland football anyhow, the hurling final should be a cracker.
  • Options

iainment said:

There is the minor issue of a semi-final against Tyrone to be addressed first, though....

There are three matches in Croke Park on Sunday....

Two of them involving Tyrone teams (admittedly, the first match on the day is an U17 final - in preparation for the Minor Championship moving to U17 from U18 players).
    I realise that. But to rephrase neither Tyrone or the Dubs would have seen anything exceptional really from Kerry or Mayo.
    The Kerry minors did well yesterday though.
  • Options
    Up Tipp.
  • Options
    scidbox said:

Up Tipp.

They forgot to tip up.
  • Options
    Can't help feel that Mayo let their chance slip yesterday. Challenging conditions, but so many missed chances (by both sides, to be fair) and quite a few from fairly straight-forward positions. That said, it was a really enjoyable game to watch.

As said above, the GAA really do love a draw! I bet they were gutted that Galway got that last-second winner the other week v Tipp (I was, as I backed the draw at 9-1 during the game) :wink: