Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GAA

Comments

• I thought it was a very poor game, the Mayo keeper at fault for dropping the ball and giving a pen away and getting a black card. That cost them the game.
  • Sorry for Mayo. But if you're cursed, you're cursed.
  • I'd say it's about temperament, not a curse - in the first game Aiden O'Shea had a wild kick at the end which if it had gone over would have drawn them level at that stage and the late point would then have won it for them - and today the goalie dropped the ball at a crucial time. Dublin make mistakes too, and made loads in the semi against Kerry, but they have the strength in depth to drop the odd clanger and pull things back again. But anyway here's a thought both of today's results would have been different if Charlton had Diarmiud Connolly as a penalty taker and Mayo had Declan Rudd in goals!
  • Ah but temperament in Mayo is effected by the curse(even though it's bollocks). If you have a reason to explain the loss then subconsciously some players will be beaten before they even walk out on the pitch.
  • iainment said:

Ah but temperament in Mayo is effected by the curse(even though it's bollocks). If you have a reason to explain the loss then subconsciously some players will be beaten before they even walk out on the pitch.

I think that, no matter how much they would have claimed otherwise, the Mayo players will have believed that, notwithstanding the two own goals in the first game, they had lost their opportunity a few weeks ago. By rights (because of the pool of players available) Dublin should beat just about everyone. Thankfully, they are not that good, certainly lacking the ability and self-confidence of Kerry or (and I say this just because it pleases me) Tyrone in their pomp, and, on their day, Mayo could have beaten them well. The legend of the curse will not have helped, but I do think that they never really believed that they could cause an upset over two games.

That said, it is handy for Dublin to have the home advantage...
  • Dublin really didn't live up to the hype did they.
  • Think Mayo should have gone for goal at the end with the free. I know you are always told, take your point, as it was so late, it was all or nothing moment.
  • I wondered yesterday while watching why O'Neill's shirts had 3 stripes on them.

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/akirwan/david-vs-goliath-oneills-vs-adidas/
  • It was on in The Rose of Denmark yesterday by the way.
  • Curb_It said:

It was on in The Rose of Denmark yesterday by the way.

That would have saved me a bit of travel in the wet if I'd known :(
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    watched in porterhouse cracking bar, so many different beers, they showed in the upper and basement bars, so the main bar was reasonably easy to get a drink.
  • @iainment can't believe Kerry have given this away. Awful game, so many fouls and very difficult conditions. A draw snatched from the jaws of victory.
  • Missed it. Drat.
  • Ha!

The Dubs run ended!

• iainment said:

Ha!

The Dubs run ended!

What run was that?
  • iainment said:

Ha!

The Dubs run ended!

What run was that?
    36 games unbeaten.
  • Just off to the pub to watch Ciarrai and Corcai. Here in Ciarrai.

Hoping that the Kerry team put on a show. But worried that Cork might dig deep and pull off a shock.

The glory of sport. You never know what might happen.

Ciarrai abu!

• Can't believe I've only just seen this thread!!!!
    Think it's well known Bruv played in the same team as Paul Walsh.
    But we also had one cousin Terry Kearns who played for Meath in the 70's & another cousin Gerry Sheridan who played for Cavan in the 90's.
    Now that I live in West Cork I keep a watchful eye on the Rebel County but my heart belongs to Cavan no matter how shite they are lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Deep into injury time Kerry 1-21 Cork 0-14.

Very one sided.
  • Yep Cork were poor.
    The hurling after was fabulous.
    A very good win for Galway.
  • Up the Dubs!
  • Ha! Slan Gaillimh!
  • Pairc Ui Chaoimh now the best provincial GAA stadium in the country. www.paircuichaoimh.ie - come on you reds!
  • redsek said:

Pairc Ui Chaoimh now the best provincial GAA stadium in the country. www.paircuichaoimh.ie - come on you reds!

Not a patch on Healy Park... ;-)

Actually, Casement Park should also be really something when it's finished, but Cork can be rightly proud of the ground (though I do really like Semple Stadium). The GAA are spending big at the moment.
  • no wonder they do well every year :wink:

• no wonder they do well every year :wink:

Wow! Do you know what the criteria is @palarsehater ? I'd imagine population is one, which explains Dubs at one end and Leitrim at the other, but would have thought the Cats would be further up the list.