Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pluto

Has anyone got any other images to share yet or is it too early. A fantastic achievement by NASA. A real feat of engineering that could've gone wrong given the amount of debris and shrapnel on its approach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33524589

Also this. What a great day to be a scientist :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33517492

Comments

• 3.11 billion miles its travelled. Unbelievable.

In the Greenwich Observatory there's a picture of Pluto the Dog on the lens of a big telescope so you can tell people you can see Pluto through it. Great gag.
  • That's mindboggling
  • edited July 2015
    Good article - thanks c4fc

PS - better than Damo's contribution :wink:

Thought it was only comets that have tails.
  • Sponsored links:

• it is incredible and mind bogglingly exciting a fantastic achievement.

I had the opportunity to look through a telescope at an astronomy group and was able to see detail on Jupiter, along with it's four moons. just that nearly made my head explode!
  • Heard on the radio that transmitter that receives and sends messages (take 4 ½ hours) has no more power than a 60 (Tony) Watt bulb.

Astounding.
  • That's no moon...
  • http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

They received their signal by the looks of things
  • Incredible stuff
  • WSS said:

Heard on the radio that transmitter that receives and sends messages (take 4 ½ hours) has no more power than a 60 (Tony) Watt bulb.

Astounding.

Amazing. Although if they'd got Glass Half Empty to fit it, it would have packed up before it reached Jupiter.
  • It is amazing what man can do when were not wanting to kick the shit out of each other.

Looking forward to more pics.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3.11 billion miles its travelled. Unbelievable.

Many Games has it seen, following Pluto it's favourite team.......
    Regardless if Charlton played Pluto in an Away match I'm sure Newcastle fans will still feel aggrieved that they've got to travel further for their away matches against Southampton and Bournemouth!!
  • I heard Sebs already done the journey when we drew Pluto Albion in the Auto Windscreens Trophy back in 96.
  • Applying to join the Euro apparently. They heard some free dosh might be available to repair that big dent in their planet.
  • It is amazing what man can do when were not wanting to kick the shit out of each other.

It was the implied threat of the ultimate kicking the shit out of each other that got us to the moon
  • Richard Scudamore is already setting out plans to have a 39th game held on Pluto whilst Sepp Blatter reckons that Pluto would stand a good chance of hosting the new World Cup if they wanted it

I don't think that they have any employment law to speak of and the migrants would struggle to get home, even with their passports. Might have to hold in summer as winter temperatures can reach a slightly chilly -240C.

• Richard Scudamore is already setting out plans to have a 39th game held on Pluto whilst Sepp Blatter reckons that Pluto would stand a good chance of hosting the new World Cup if they wanted it

I don't think that they have any employment law to speak of and the migrants would struggle to get home, even with their passports. Might have to hold in summer as winter temperatures can reach a slightly chilly -240C.

Sepp is handing out free overcoats to any migrant workers willing to help build the stadiums. Sepp doesn't care that the cost to get said migrant workers to Pluto and to actually build a spaceship would be in the billions, far outweighing the commercial returns from the sponsors. He also doesn't care that the migrant workers will likely be dead upon arrival from cancers after prolonged exposure to radiation. If they're not dead he doesn't care that their muscle mass and bone structure will be so weak that none of the stadiums will be built.

Sepp is encouraged by the fact that a large number of teams in the Europa league actually come from Pluto. Spurs have just returned from a 7th preliminary qualifying round there from the 2003 competition
  • Unbelievable to think it launched 9 years ago. Everything that's happened on earth whilst that small box has been travelling (just) to the outer reaches of our solar system and it's still effectively in our back garden. The emptiness of space boggles the mind.
  • Addicted said:

Unbelievable to think it launched 9 years ago. Everything that's happened on earth whilst that small box has been travelling (just) to the outer reaches of our solar system and it's still effectively in our back garden. The emptiness of space boggles the mind.

This. What I'd like to know is what we will find when the very edge of space is reached. Any scientists want to hazard a guess at that one? In the same way that we now know the world aint flat, will we one day find out?

I understand that the reason we may never know is considered to be that space is expanding faster than you could travel to catch up. But expanding into what?
  • Into nothing as no matter or even energy exists in this space.