Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your Top Five... Boring Spectator Sports

On the back of the tennis is boring thread I thought we could broaden things out a little.

Show Jumping - A bunch of pompous-arsed pratts testing their nags to see which is the least afraid of heights. Ridiculous.
Crown Green Bowling - Thankfully I haven't seen this in ages. Any 'sport' that you can play whilst smoking a pipe isn't a sport.
Tennis - Swingball for the middle classes.
Basketball - Too many points, games decided on misses rather than actully scoring (or whatevery they call putting a ball through a hoop).
Golf - Ball gets hit. Ball goes up in the sky. Watch the clouds for a few seconds. Ball lands on grass. A complete and utter dullfest.

Comments

• Handball
    F1
    Gymnastics
    Synchronised Swimming
    UFC
  • Chess
    Tiddlywinks
    Wheelchair Tennis
    F1
    Triathlon
  • Cricket x 5
  • Golf
    curling
    baseball
    Swimming
    Show jumping
  • Stig said:

On the back of the tennis is boring thread I thought we could broaden things out a little.

Show Jumping - A bunch of pompous-arsed prats testing their nags to see which is the least afraid of heights. Ridiculous.
    F1- How many hours long is this?
    Tennis - Swingball for the middle classes.
    Basketball - Too many points, games decided on misses rather than actually scoring (or whatever they call putting a ball through a hoop).
    Golf - Ball gets hit. Ball goes up in the sky. Watch the clouds for a few seconds. Ball lands on grass. A complete and utter dullfest.

Slight correction Stig and you are there. I believe you can have a beer whilst bowling.
  • Archery
    Shooting
    Dressage
    Croquet
    Boules
  • Can't say I find any sport boring. I appreciate the time and skill that goes into being at the very top.
  • F1: a 200 mph car park nothing happens until they change the tyres and everyone gets excited. Fans are the biggest anoraks in sport
    Swimming: Dull, Dull, Dull
    Baseball: Unfathomable rules, played by fatties
    Dressage: teaching a horse how to dance.....how silly is that
    Curling: A cross between a game and housework
  • Ice Hockey, can't follow the puck so boxing is better.
    Tennis, it goes here, it comes back, it goes there, it comes back duh, very very dull.
    Synchronised swimming, only recommended as a spectator if you're in the water with them.
    Basketball, you have to be 10 foot tall, and the only surprise is if they miss, not if they score.
    Show jumping, would be improved if the position of horse and rider were reversed.
  • F1
    Wrestling
    Fishing
    Fencing
    Sailing
  • Sponsored links:

• Speedway/F 1: after the first corner where the excitement ?

American Football: Mobile chess between the adverts.

Baseball: Rounders Between the adverts.

Ice Hockey: Mass fighting on ice, like the boys on a Friday night.

Show jumping: Esoteric and Colourful(come on you reds) but still boring.

• Horse Racing: If you're not betting on it, whats the point?

Golf: Fell asleep just now even typing the word (but much more enjoyable to play it must be said)

Basketball: Takes the term 'end to end' too far.

Fishing: Remember seeing 5 mins of this on Sky Sports. Sitting watching a bit of water for hours on end.

Bowls: That clip of the Pharrell Williams song being played at the World Bowls cracks me up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/bowls/25885158
  • Cricket
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Synchronised Swimming
    Diving
  • F1
    American Football
    Basketball
    Rugby
    Cricket
  • American Football, Baseball, Cricket
  • Wrestling (Choreographed pratting about)
    Horse Racing (Maybe if you bet or you're a jockey, otherwise?)
    Basketball (I utterly fail to see the appeal in watching each team consecutively run the length of the court and score - the only surprise is when they don't)
    Speedway - (Little boys on their bikes)
    Rugby League - (Fat, northern homoerotic mud wrestling)
  • F1
    Basketball
    Baseball
    American football
    Horse racing
  • F1
    Sailing
    Archery
    Climbing
    Baton Twirling

• Italian Football
    Womens Football
    Womens Cricket
    Chess
    Italian Womens Football or cricket......
  • Basketball - tall people with squeaky shoes
    baseball - just don't understand it
    American football - I like all the colour and pomp of it all but the actual game never gets going.
    majority of athletics - all the stuff that happened inside the Olympic stadium pretty much.
    hunting
  • Sponsored links:

• I appreciate the time and skill that goes into being at the very top.

Filth
  • edited July 2015
    American Football
    Horse Racing ( unless I have a bet on on it )
    Synchronised Swimming
    Dressage
    Basketball

Just missing out are The Boat Race , F1 & Baseball
  • At least the boat face is a decent piss up if you go down to the river

Went to a Sandown park the other week and the horse racing was much duller than I expected

• F1 you have to be missing something
    American Football
    Gaelic Football
    Volleyball
    Underwater Hockey
  • Golf
    Basketball
    American Football
    Horse racing
    Swimming
  • Rugby Union manages to be both the most boring and the most loathsome & all my hatred is reserved for it. Maybe rowing and track cycling too. Water polo as one that seems like it might be fun but isn't. Oh, I'm on 4 now? Ok, baseball then
  • f1 in its current format
    cycling. theres nothing to actually see beyond a twenty second whizz-by.
    basketball
    the marathon
    beach volleyball (just kidding...)
  • Basketball (netball made easy)
    Baseball (rounders)
    American "football"
    Diving
    Cycling
  • Cycling. Always cycling. Hate it. Then rugby (all forms).

My team at work was swallowed up into the oxymoronical 'Content and Cycling' department, and our boss doesn't give two shits about content. On our away day this week, we had to get a talk by one of Dave Brailsford's mates and watch the TDF for an hour. I was furious. "Oh you are in the movies editorial team are you? Let me tell you about the cobblestones of southern France..."

No, really, don't. I stopped listening three hours ago and have been enjoying a daydream about saving this pub from a terrorist attack.