Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    If people stopped driving to work and took public transport it would free up he roads nicely πŸ˜‰

If it really gets on your tits, move closer to work. Simples!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

If people stopped driving to work and took public transport it would free up he roads nicely πŸ˜‰

My drive to work is only 6 miles which I can do in 11 minutes if the traffic is okay, but it can often take 45 minutes. Public transport would take much longer and involve taking one bus into the town centre and then another to where I work.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

My drive to work is only 6 miles which I can do in 11 minutes if the traffic is okay, but it can often take 45 minutes. Public transport would take much longer and involve taking one bus into the town centre and then another to where I work.
    Plus be twice as expensive...

A monthly train ticket from Strood to Orpington for me (involving two changes) would be Β£312... the petrol I put in my car each month... Β£120 that lasts me commuting and recreational travel
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Plus be twice as expensive...

A monthly train ticket from Strood to Orpington for me (involving two changes) would be Β£312... the petrol I put in my car each month... Β£120 that lasts me commuting and recreational travel
    I did put a smiley on my comment!

That said, to make a comparison with public transport you would have to add in tax, repairs, insurance and, usually the most expensive bit, the depreciation in the value of a car.

I drive almost everywhere. Just don’t expect everybody else stay off the road to make my life easier. Kids need to get to school, people need to get to work. Having commuted for years and years I really appreciate having my own space, a comfortable seat, and not having to stand about on a platform waiting for the announcement that I have 2 minutes to cross to the platform on the other side of the station. Bliss.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Redrobo said:

Unfortunately Public Transport is incapable of coping with existing demand let alone any more.

The morons that make these decisions from their ivory towers never face 'hands on' the consequences of those decisions. If they did the decisions would be a whole lot better.

I am sure many of us work or have worked with bosses of that ilk.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Just ban women drivers. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Carter said:

So how do we feel about people who speed up as you overtake them?

I swear people get the hump that someone might be wanting to go faster than them...

In my own car, it doesn't bother me, I am confident of overtaking most vehicles swiftly

In my van, it drives me fucking mad. It's restricted to 70mph so for me to be overtaking I am cofident they are doing a speed worthy of being overtaken. Then it's like a switch goes on and some silly pride kicks in that means they can't let a van overtake them so they speed up. I then drop back in and sure as eggs is eggs they will drift into daydreaming again and I'll begin the wholetter charade again. I can't say or get across how much this annoys me as it is always middle lane ignoramuses who do it
    This happened to me yesterday morning, I ended up having to overtake the twat on the inside and then he gave me a dirty look!

That 70mph restriction on the vans is killer .
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

How do people feel about those that use the exit lane to zoom past the already slow moving traffic to cut in at the last minute before the exit ?

What baffles me about this is why so many people let them in. If everyone took a stand and agreed not to let them do it then they’d be forced to stop. But they know that some mug will leave a big enough gap for them to squeeze into.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Dizzle said:

How do people feel about those that use the exit lane to zoom past the already slow moving traffic to cut in at the last minute before the exit ?

What baffles me about this is why so many people let them in. If everyone took a stand and agreed not to let them do it then they’d be forced to stop. But they know that some mug will leave a big enough gap for them to squeeze into.
    Fully agree. I actually accelerate to reduce the gap between mine and the car in front so they can't get in.

The only problem is at that moment @Carter is trying to overtake me and is abusing me for speeding up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Unfortunately Public Transport is incapable of coping with existing demand let alone any more.

The morons that make these decisions from their ivory towers never face 'hands on' the consequences of those decisions. If they did the decisions would be a whole lot better.

More people should cycle. Especially for commutes less than 10 miles each way.
  • Options

FORD said:

I blame Brexit for the M20 nightmare - heard several theories now all connected to Brexit (using up EU grants, finishing off and bringing forward all roadwork to limit disruption on and post Brexit day, prep for lorry park op stack measures)

All fake news I'm sure, but why they are choosing to remove the hardshoulder is beyond me. I travel on that road every day and everyday I see cars on the hardshoulder broken down or even worse on fire. What loons actually make these decisions and do they ever actually drive?

A20 of course was nothing to do with any of that and is a horrendous accident. RIP to those involve and thoughts are with their families and friends.

Partially accurate..... some of the night works on the M20 are modifications to the hard-shoulder, in preparation for coping with delays at ports in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
    I have to disagree on that one, works took place on the M26 a couple of weekends ago to test the M26 as a Brexit/Port Delay buffer, not the M20.

The hard shoulder on the M20 is being removed to make way for a 4th lane.
    Well sorry that you feel the need to disagree with me but i was told by one of the blokes who is actually doing the work, i had to meet him at j8 services to conduct a test, he was working on improving the hard shoulder on M20 in preparation for possible issues with Brexit..... not sure why he'd need to lie.....
  • Options
    iainment said:

LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Wouldn't that be nice

I'll strap all my tools to my back and I reckon at a squeeze I'd get some in some panniers

In other news, as much as I would love to, it's not practical
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Carter said:

iainment said:

LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Wouldn't that be nice

I'll strap all my tools to my back and I reckon at a squeeze I'd get some in some panniers

I did say more people not all people.

But having said that cargo bikes are brilliant.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Carter said:

iainment said:

LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Wouldn't that be nice

It requires a certain level of facilitation that doesn't exist in a lot of workplaces anymore though mate

I worked with a guy who cycled in and he stank in the summer, he'd turn up to work soaked in sweat and then begin work. I didn't really blame him as there was nowhere for him to have a shower and he was adamant cycling in was how he was going to do it

I've got the same problem, got a new bike through the cycle to work scheme with the intention of riding into the yard early to get the van but I had the same problem, no showers, there used to be showers but they cost money and no way am I smelling like he did all day

More kids should be walking to school though, there was a walking bus near me, had stops and everything and the kids and the people who gave up their time to run it would be seen in hi vis jherkins marching to and from school. I assume the volunteers can't be found now which is a shame
  • Options
    iainment said:

Carter said:

iainment said:

LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Wouldn't that be nice

If people just used bikes to get from a to b in and around their local area it would significantly improve congestion and we'd be a healthier society.
  • Options
    Carter said:

iainment said:

Carter said:

iainment said:

LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Wouldn't that be nice

It requires a certain level of facilitation that doesn't exist in a lot of workplaces anymore though mate

I worked with a guy who cycled in and he stank in the summer, he'd turn up to work soaked in sweat and then begin work. I didn't really blame him as there was nowhere for him to have a shower and he was adamant cycling in was how he was going to do it

I've got the same problem, got a new bike through the cycle to work scheme with the intention of riding into the yard early to get the van but I had the same problem, no showers, there used to be showers but they cost money and no way am I smelling like he did all day

More kids should be walking to school though, there was a walking bus near me, had stops and everything and the kids and the people who gave up their time to run it would be seen in hi vis jherkins marching to and from school. I assume the volunteers can't be found now which is a shame
    No showers at my work so I have a thorough wipe down with baby wipes. Which does the job adequately.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Carter said:

iainment said:

Carter said:

iainment said:

LenGlover said:

Redrobo said:

Wouldn't that be nice

No showers at my work so I have a thorough wipe down with baby wipes. Which does the job adequately.
    With respect, no it doesn't

Near enough every festival I've been to I've been regailed with stories of how someone thinks they have conquered festival hygiene by bringing a tub of baby wipes or wet wipes with them. And they always stink

Im not disagreeing with you in the sense that I believe we are a dramatically lazy population and it's easily done. Holland and Belgium everyone is cycling to and from where they want to be heading and an upshot of that is vehicles are more aware of them, there are hugely harsh penalties for hitting a cyclist and so cycling is a safe form of transport. Over here it isn't sadly, the standard of driving is poor in the UK and the attitude is poor. Try telling someone who does all of their motorway driving in the outside lane that they should be overtaking then moving back into the left hand lane and I guarantee either that will become a row or they will dismiss you as some sort of coppers pet.

• Options
    Accident on th A20......looks like if could be at the Sidcup junction. London bound.

Only saw it from the footbridge between Swanley & Crockenhill. Nothing coming down towards Kent so perhaps they are holding the traffic. Sorry I can't give any more info but was catching the train from Swanley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It has been a dreadful day on Kent's roads.

Both the M20 and M2 were gridlocked this morning resulting in chaos on all surrounding roads. Too much traffic and too many roadworks which are not co-ordinated and so many routes are closed overnight. Moving around the county is not an easy thing to do these days.
  • Options
    Nightmare day. Took me 1hr 15 from Maidstone to Snodland this morning. M20 and M2 with probs = gridlocked Maidstone, which I only had to tackle as needed to drop the wife at the station.

Took one lad in my office 3hrs from the isle of sheppey!!!

Then coming home just now, problems in Maidstone again, issues before junction 6 and London bound junction 7 a car on fire and what looked like horrendous tailbacks. That’s before the Swanley incident too!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    WTF going on tonight!!

Just taken me an hour to drive from Bexleyheath down to Rochester because of a lane closure around the Rochester Bridge!!

Edit: So they've decided to start road works on the Bridge yet instead of closing @ 8pm they've decided to do it earlier!!

• Options

WTF going on tonight!!

Just taken me an hour to drive from Bexleyheath down to Rochester because of a lane closure around the Rochester Bridge!!

Took me an hour to get from when I joined at Falconwood to the Pepper Hill turn off. No idea what is going on. Ball ache though!
  • Options

WTF going on tonight!!

Edit: So they've decided to start road works on the Bridge yet instead of closing @ 8pm they've decided to do it earlier!!

I went down that way at lunchtime & it was all clear.......coming back just before 4pm & it was already queing back to the Medway Tunnel junction.
  • Options
    Luckily when I joined the queue it was β€œonly” at Bluewater.
    Still took about half an hour to do the 10 minutes to start of the M2