Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    You should think yourselves lucky, the M25 & M40 were murder today. I set off at 2pm to see a client in Oxford & got there just before 6pm. Left just after 7pm & hit the M25 (J16) at 8pm - sat in a traffic jam between J 14 - 11 for almost an hour & a half, finally got home at 10.15 !! 4 lanes of the M25 gridlocked at 9pm
  • Options

You should think yourselves lucky, the M25 & M40 were murder today. I set off at 2pm to see a client in Oxford & got there just before 6pm. Left just after 7pm & hit the M25 (J16) at 8pm - sat in a traffic jam between J 14 - 11 for almost an hour & a half, finally got home at 10.15 !! 4 lanes of the M25 gridlocked at 9pm

That's why I rarely did home visits.
  • Options
    Another lovely morning on Kent's roads.

Lorry fire on A2 at Bean means gridlock on the roads again. Medway Towns and Maidstone at a standstill again.
  • Options

Lorry fire on A2 at Bean means gridlock on the roads again. Medway Towns and Maidstone at a standstill again.

Took an hour and 20mins to get from Strood to Orpington this morning as had to get down to Snodland and then along the M20, unfortunately its the only other way everyone else could use to get up into London and beyond the M25.
  • Options

Took an hour and 20mins to get from Strood to Orpington this morning as had to get down to Snodland and then along the M20, unfortunately its the only other way everyone else could use to get up into London and beyond the M25.
    That sounds like an amazingly quick journey, took me an hour to get from Gravesend to Greenhithe, a massive 9 miles door to door.
  • Options
    Had to do the same, head away from London on the M2 then across to the M20 and back in that way.
    Usual route had a mile long queue just to get onto the A2 which was at a standstill.

Everyone with the same idea so Snodland etc was busy.

Must have got lucky though really, Rochester to Bermondsey in 1 hour 45 minutes.
  • Options

Glad I've got the day off, would have fun a fun journey this morning.
  • Options
    At the end of March 2017 the numbers of licensed cars and vans stood at their highest ever level. Indeed, in the year to March 2017 the stock of vehicles increased by 2.2 per cent. This is the sixth consecutive quarter that year-on-year increases have exceeded 2 per cent.

Take a look at the figures in this DfT publication - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/620223/vehicle-licensing-january-to-march-2017.pdf

So basically, there's more cars on the road than ever whilst road building has largely come to a stop - total road length in Great Britain in 2016 was only 600 miles greater than in 2015.

And all that can lead to eventually is total gridlock at all times of the day.
  • Options

At the end of March 2017 the numbers of licensed cars and vans stood at their highest ever level. Indeed, in the year to March 2017 the stock of vehicles increased by 2.2 per cent. This is the sixth consecutive quarter that year-on-year increases have exceeded 2 per cent.

Take a look at the figures in this DfT publication - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/620223/vehicle-licensing-january-to-march-2017.pdf

So basically, there's more cars on the road than ever whilst road building has largely come to a stop - total road length in Great Britain in 2016 was only 600 miles greater than in 2015.

Problem is though this incident was caused by a lorry fire rather than congestion.

Most mornings it can be a little bit slow on this stretch of the A2 but my journey to work still only takes roughly 10-mins longer than the quickest time when the roads are completely empty... Of course today seems to have been a freak incident but in my opinion most issues surrounding road congestion are down to accidents and careless driving.
  • Options

Problem is though this incident was caused by a lorry fire rather than congestion.

Most mornings it can be a little bit slow on this stretch of the A2 but my journey to work still only takes roughly 10-mins longer than the quickest time when the roads are completely empty... Of course today seems to have been a freak incident but in my opinion most issues surrounding road congestion are down to accidents and careless driving.
    Don't disagree with you - accidents and other incidents are huge sources of congestion. But equally you can't have another 950,000 NEW vehicles coming onto the roads every 3 months without this also having a large impact on congestion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took me 50 minutes to do my journey of 6 miles, all of which are on country lanes.

It only takes one incident on one of the motorways to cause gridlock these days. Too many houses being built in Kent to cope with our ever increasing population.
  • Options

Took me 50 minutes to do my journey of 6 miles, all of which are on country lanes.

It only takes one incident on one of the motorways to cause gridlock these days. Too many houses being built in Kent to cope with our ever increasing population.

Looking at your user name it looks as if you be familiar with Hermitage Lane where Maidstone Hospital is. How will that cope once all the new homes down there are occupied most of which could have 2 x cars per home?

• Options

Looking at your user name it looks as if you be familiar with Hermitage Lane where Maidstone Hospital is. How will that cope once all the new homes down there are occupied most of which could have 2 x cars per home?

Although I don't currently live in Maidstone, I am familiar with Hermitage Lane and know of the problems there. New houses keep being built all around Maidstone and the infrastructure cannot cope now so when they are all occupied it will be even worse. The new Aldi/McDonalds/Pounstretcher isn't helping things and the retail park just around the corner in Aylesford is gridlocked at peak times.

Masses of new houses all being built on the southern side of the town will also add to the congestion in the area.
  • Options
    A2 was not good this morning.

Thought I'd do the smart thing coming back from Sittingbourne today, A249 and then towards home up the M20.

Didn't figure on the M20 being tediously slow as well.
  • Options
    Normally I'd be seething and would have copped all of this

Today I'm ok

I only had to go to a site in upnor. Medway tunnel wasn't even headache
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    We recently moved to Bearsted, Maidstone to a property on the main A20. We knew that it was a busy road, but were not prepared for the M20 to be closed every night from Junctions 8 to 7, between 8pm and 6am.

Highways England suggest that traffic comes off the M20 at Ashford, follow the A251 to Faversham, then continue on the M2 towards London. This is a huge detour and takes the traffic through small villages. There re also major roadworks on the M2.

It is therefore no surprise to see that instead, drivers choose to come off at Junction 8 and then travel through residential areas of Maidstone before rejoining the M20 at Junction 7.

Cars and small vans are not a problem but the HGVs make the whole house shake as they thunder through. This continues all night and trying to sleep through it is very difficult.

As this is the main motorway from Folkestone and Dover to the rest of the country and the ports/Channel Tunnel continue working all night, there is a continuous flow of HGVs all night.

I have just looked at Highways England website and it seem this is to carry on until mid January and the thought of insufficient sleep until then is not a happy one.

I can't see why they can't do the work at night but leave a lane open so that huge lorries do not travel through roads not suitable for them. Complaints to Highways England go unanswered.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Tonight both the M20 and the M2 are closed westbound meaning ALL traffic coming from Europe has to travel along roads which are totally unsuitable. This is total lunacy, Highways England just couldn't get any worse with their planning.
  • Options

Tonight both the M20 and the M2 are closed westbound meaning ALL traffic coming from Europe has to travel along roads which are totally unsuitable. This is total lunacy, Highways England just couldn't get any worse with their planning.

For what reason?
  • Options
    So sorry to read this - my heart goes out to all who live along the roads being affected. If this were happening in France, I don't doubt the locals would be out barricading the minor roads!
  • Options

For what reason?
    Roadworks - we've been suffering with the M20 being closed every night for the last 3 weeks and according to Highways England website it is to continue until January. Huge HGVs are coming through residential streets of Maidstone from 8pm to 6am.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God, thats dreadful. On both M20 and M2 ?
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

So sorry to read this - my heart goes out to all who live along the roads being affected. If this were happening in France, I don't doubt the locals would be out barricading the minor roads!

I feel like doing that when I'm kept awake half the night.
  • Options

God, thats dreadful. On both M20 and M2 ?

Yep - great planning isn't it? I emailed Highways England over a week ago but have had no response and have also contacted my local MP.

It feels like Operation Stack all over again.
  • Options
    I live on Willington Street and that has lorries during the night all the year ‘round. After a while you stop hearing them.

There is talk of a relief road but there was talk of that when I bought the house eleven years ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I live on Willington Street and that has lorries during the night all the year ‘round. After a while you stop hearing them.

There is talk of a relief road but there was talk of that when I bought the house eleven years ago.

Maidstone desperately needs the relief road but I doubt it will be built, just more and more houses instead.

As I type this there is a continual procession of HGVs going past and it is so frustrating to know there is nothing you can do about it. We had a brief respite over the weekend which I suspect was due to the Leeds Castle Firework display.
  • Options
    At least this will be one benefit of quitting Europe - the lorries will be all be log-jammed at the channel ports.
  • Options

Maidstone desperately needs the relief road but I doubt it will be built, just more and more houses instead.

As I type this there is a continual procession of HGVs going past and it is so frustrating to know there is nothing you can do about it. We had a brief respite over the weekend which I suspect was due to the Leeds Castle Firework display.
    Youve put me right off moving down that way
  • Options
    clb74 said:

It depends where you're thinking of moving to, this is a nice area on the whole.
  • Options

N01R4M said:

I feel like doing that when I'm kept awake half the night.
    Buy some ear plugs, my wife can even sleep through my snoring with ear plugs. (serious comment).
  • Options

clb74 said:

It depends where you're thinking of moving to, this is a nice area on the whole.
    It would be an area id consider when deciding to move away.
    Am I right in thinking your renting your place .
    Did you not know what these roads were like before you moved in or is there not much available down there.