Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ginger Baker documentary

anyone see this last night ? bloke seems a right nutter to me - onto his 4th wife, living in S Africa & having nothing to do with his other children.

Comments

• Options
    Ginger's always been a nutter .. for example .. when he was a heroin addict back in the 70s, a time when he had pots of cash, he took off in a Ferrari (could have been a Maserati) for the Sahara desert, drove until the car broke down, dumped it and lived with 'the natives' for a few weeks, all in an attempt to stay away from the smack for a little while ..

I once saw him live with 'Air Force' at the late lamented Mistral club at Beckenham .. Ginger was so stoned, his chat between numbers was totally incomprehensible and he ended up having a fight with one of his female backing singers after she tried to interpret his muttering .. BUT .. what a terrific drummer .. the Ginger Nutter from Lewisham
  • Options
    I was at school with him at Shooters Hill GS 1949- 1956 .Already a free spirit then.
  • Options
    Not a great fan of the drums, but what a 'natural' musician. A great documentary that won awards a couple of years ago. The section when he was doing 'play-offs' with other legendary drummers was fascinating and the way he described the experience enthralled me. He said any drummers worth their salt would make their sound blend as one.
    The other obvious wonderment is how the fella has longevity after doing himself so much damage.
    Wonder where in Lewisham he hailed from?
  • Options
    Sure I've read comments from one or two on here who've met him and said he's a tosser.
  • Options
    Yes, he was always a nutter but what a drummer. In his prime whilst with Cream.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Clapton thought he was the best drummer ever - totally dissed John Bonham & Keith Moon, which I though was off as I've repeatedly heard that Bonham was one of the greatest drummers ever.
  • Options
    It's a great documentary. There's no doubt he was a nutter and a bit of a knob, as well as a great drummer. But it's a very enjoyable film.
  • Options
    All credit to the mother of his children that they appear to have turned out normal. It was also quite telling when his African partner took a long while to answer the question as to whether Baker was a good Stepfather.
  • Options
    I loved it. I reckon Eric sees him alright for a few quid here and there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rob said:

Clapton thought he was the best drummer ever - totally dissed John Bonham & Keith Moon, which I though was off as I've repeatedly heard that Bonham was one of the greatest drummers ever.
    I got the impression that Clapton was saying that Bonham et al. were "just drummer" whereas Ginger was a composer and drove the band to make better songs.

It boggles the mind that he is still alive and Jack Bruce is gone.
  • Options
    I actually thought his son Kofi was a better drumming judging on that part where they drummed together which was a nice seen but Ginger was vile to Kofi later!!!
  • Options
    For me Ginger Baker was one the best drummers I have ever seen/heard his roots are primarily Jazz and he bought that swing to everything he has ever done. Saw him with Airforce and also The Baker Gurvitz Army (Ginger seems to like military references) both times he was astonishing. Because he was such a different kind of drummer I don't think comparisons with John Bonham and Keith Moos are either fair or relevant.

But certainly he came from that generation of UK drummers who were basically Jazzers who turned to blues/rock which would include Charlie Watts and the great John Heisman amongst many.

That said he has never in his life been a nice man but sometimes that is how genius shows itself
  • Options
    As someone posted last time a great drummer...... a not so great human being.
    Alway's wondered why Clapton had him in Blind Faith, and apparently he just turned up?......
    I also could not understand his hatred of Bonham, both had there dark side, but Bonzo was a rock drummer, and yes as Ginger would have it he is a Jazz Drummer/Rock Drummer. Still think they are the best rock trio of all time, and that segment of Cream in the USA was terrific.
  • Options
    Apparently Ken according to Clapton in an interview the idea was to have Jim Capaldi from Traffic on drums but Steve Windwood having been door stepped by Baker argued that he would give the new band star attraction. Clapton predicted the quick downfall having had the experience of working with Baker in Cream.

Cream probably are the best rock trio of all time although I have to throw into the ring The Jimi Hendrix Experience who were not too shabby either
  • Options
    Not too familiar with Baker other than cream, but he was amazing... Total jerk though. Really enjoyable doc.

I prefer the jimi Hendrix experience to cream... Hard to say which was better. Hendrix was surely the equivalent of Baker, bringing in all the different styles and genres and blending it into something unique?
  • Options
    Of course Cream pre-dated The Experience so in that aspect they were there first. For me Jimi was and always will be a Blues man, basically Voodoo Chile is Muddy Waters Rollin Stone on Steroids and he cut his teeth on the Chitin circuit with T Bone Walker and the like where the playing of the guitar behind the head and with the teeth was kind of stock in trade. But he imagined the whole genre differently and yes he was absolutely unique. Near the end he was working (in the studio at least with Miles Davis amongst others) so he did embrace other musical genres.

we can debate this all night but I feel blessed to not only have lived during these great musicians careers but had the privilege of seeing them live
  • Options
    Very good documentary. Always thought he was from Shooters Hill way, wrong apparantley.
  • Options
    I'm only 35 and would kill to have seen either band live in their prime!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I'm only 35 and would kill to have seen either band live in their prime!

They weren't too shabby in 2005!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was at school with him at Shooters Hill GS 1949- 1956 .Already a free spirit then.

Not on Wiki but he used to play for the Trad jazz outfit of Terry Lightfoot and we went to see him once at the Shakespeare in Woolwich. He was only 16 or 17 at the time
  • Options
    Saw the Cream reunion at the RAH in 2005 and they were mustard. Met Ginger down in Chatham a few years later but he told me to fuck off when I made conversation. Had to laugh
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Saw the Cream reunion at the RAH in 2005 and they were mustard. Met Ginger down in Chatham a few years later but he told me to fuck off when I made conversation. Had to laugh

I get the impression that puts you in a select group of everyone that Ginger Baker has ever met
    Yeah, he didn't disappoint
  • Options

Apparently Ken according to Clapton in an interview the idea was to have Jim Capaldi from Traffic on drums but Steve Windwood having been door stepped by Baker argued that he would give the new band star attraction. Clapton predicted the quick downfall having had the experience of working with Baker in Cream.

Cream probably are the best rock trio of all time although I have to throw into the ring The Jimi Hendrix Experience who were not too shabby either

Mitch claims they alway's wanted Steve Winwood in the group, but I think Jimi wanted a more looser format, I think he would have returned to the trio format, but would have got into all sort of new music, if he had been allowed to. I met Mitch a few times, the last time a few weeks before his death, as well as Noel shortly after the death of his beloved partner Carol, he was very bitter about the money or lack of it from the Hendrix time. I have only met Ginger once outside the Victoria Palace after a Jack Bruce concert, he was not too complimentary about the show, personally I thought it was a great show. A few people tried to talk to Ginger, but he seemed a bit of aloof, and looked the other way. Only seen Clapton twice, once at the Albert Hall, frankly I was dissapointed, he really wanted to play support guitar, and sing, and not what I expected. The other time with Blind faith in Hyde Park, not really a success that group for me. Going through a big Rory Gallagher phase at the present, and really looking forward to the IOW and taste 4 cd release, coming out in August.
    Still think that the Lyceum gig he did was the best concert I have attended, his playing really was spellbinding. I dearly wanted to go to Ireland a couple of weeks ago for the commeration of his death 20 year's ago, I should have .
  • Options

Mitch claims they alway's wanted Steve Winwood in the group, but I think Jimi wanted a more looser format, I think he would have returned to the trio format, but would have got into all sort of new music, if he had been allowed to. I met Mitch a few times, the last time a few weeks before his death, as well as Noel shortly after the death of his beloved partner Carol, he was very bitter about the money or lack of it from the Hendrix time. I have only met Ginger once outside the Victoria Palace after a Jack Bruce concert, he was not too complimentary about the show, personally I thought it was a great show. A few people tried to talk to Ginger, but he seemed a bit of aloof, and looked the other way. Only seen Clapton twice, once at the Albert Hall, frankly I was dissapointed, he really wanted to play support guitar, and sing, and not what I expected. The other time with Blind faith in Hyde Park, not really a success that group for me. Going through a big Rory Gallagher phase at the present, and really looking forward to the IOW and taste 4 cd release, coming out in August.
    Still think that the Lyceum gig he did was the best concert I have attended, his playing really was spellbinding. I dearly wanted to go to Ireland a couple of weeks ago for the commeration of his death 20 year's ago, I should have .
    Did you see the film about Rory on Sky Arts last night? I saw Rory Gallagher in his prime at the Fairfield Halls Croydon. He was brilliant. I also saw Taste. They were a fantastic group.
  • Options
    There is no doubt that Baker is a brilliant drummer, but in terms of listener pleasure I thing Bonham was better. Bonham plays with empathy and sensitivity to his fellow musicians and the intent of the song or piece of music, Baker is impressive, but kind of pyrotechnical and seems to lack convincing synergy with his fellow players.
    Bonham certainly kisses you goodnight, Baker sends you off with a cuff around the head.
  • Options

Not a great fan of the drums, but what a 'natural' musician. A great documentary that won awards a couple of years ago. The section when he was doing 'play-offs' with other legendary drummers was fascinating and the way he described the experience enthralled me. He said any drummers worth their salt would make their sound blend as one.
    The other obvious wonderment is how the fella has longevity after doing himself so much damage.
    Wonder where in Lewisham he hailed from?

Which part of Lewisham?, you ask. Ginger was born in Lewisham Hospital in 1939 and brought up in Eltham. As a teenager he wanted to be a racing cyclist, but was soon carting his drums on the bus to Soho jazz clubs where he 'sat in' and got his chops.

As a drummer myself, Ginger Baker was my hero. There's another documentary film about him, made a year or two ago: 'Beware of Mr Baker', which opens with him breaking the film director's nose with a blow from his stick. I attended the premiere at the Curzon, Shaftesbury Avenue, which was followed by a Q & A session with the man himself. It was truly embarrassing: he was rude to the interviewer, ignored questions from the audience, obviously simply didn't want to be there. At the earliest opportunity he cut it short and scuttled off; I followed, and found him on the pavement outside, having a fag.

I had my copy of his autobiography, 'Hellraiser', ready for his signature: "Excuse me, Mr Baker, would you kindly sign..." He barked "No", turned his back and stomped off down Shaftesbury Avenue. What a bastard, eh! I mean: how can a man refuse to sign his autobiography? The punter behind me clocked all this and said sympathetically "Nice try", to which I said I suppose it was a relief that the old sod didn't beat me up.

• Options
    good doc, great drummer but a complete arsehole!
  • Options
    Yeah watched it and it confirmed everything I'd previously heard or thought about him, a complete knob.