Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Inheritance Tax

Reportedly going to be reduced for million pound homes.

Anyone really think that is a good policy? Won't do anything for working people in our neck of the woods!

Comments

• Options
    And rightly so. As Huskaris says, tax the fuck out of me while I'm alive to pay for your failed schemes and social engineering projects but if I have anything left at the end (wont be a problem with me...) let me decide who it goes to and keep your filthy crooked hands off it HM Govt.
  • Options
    I've paid tax all my life,like most people, and on virtually everything I have bought. So to have another lump off my already taxed assets just seems a tad unfair.
    Successive governments have frittered away countless billions during my lifetime, I think they've had enough.
  • Options
    I'll have to tell my Uncle Roly.
  • Options
    Sadly not everyone is as honest as you lot, and the only way the government can get anything back is when the lawyers have no more opportunity to make money from their clients. I think that a million is about right, but there should be a sliding scale above that, ending at 75% for any assets over £100m.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

limeygent said:

Never seems right to tax income that's already been taxed, no matter the wealth of the taxpayer.

You buy a house for £100,000. 30 years later it's worth a million. That £900k profit hasn't been taxed in any shape or form...
    It's a 100K risk, just like the stock market. Such profits are subject to capital gains tax here in the U.S., not familiar with tax laws in U.K. any more.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Never seems right to tax income that's already been taxed, no matter the wealth of the taxpayer.

You buy a house for £100,000. 30 years later it's worth a million. That £900k profit hasn't been taxed in any shape or form...
    It's a 100K risk, just like the stock market. Profits are subject to capital gains tax here in the U.S., not familiar with tax laws in U.K. any more.
    UK profits are also subject to capital gains tax.
  • Options
    If a 2nd home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So this theoretical 900K profit would be taxed when? When the owner died? Or when the estate was inherited? Or both?
  • Options

limeygent said:

What about if you save some money in a high interest account and years later it's worth more. You have paid tax on your savings and on the interest so why again?

Inheritance tax, IMHO is poor show.

• Options
    limeygent said:

So this theoretical 900K profit would be taxed when? When the owner died? Or when the estate was inherited? Or both?

I believe when it is inherited only (but could be wrong). Or, if sold during the owner's lifetime, it would be subject to capital gains tax then (unless it was their main home, in which case it could all be relieved, subject to how long they occupied it).
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Anyone really think that is a good policy? Won't do anything for working people in our neck of the woods!

I wonder if this could be a cunning plan. Get people to switch their ISA investments, etc into a main property to reduce their inheritance tax bill. So the tax man will pocket huge gains from stamp duty on the purchase of the new £1mn house (and a smaller amount on the place they moved out of). Total take probably more than the inheritance tax would have brought in, while still looking good to the core tory vote. Sorted. Extra tax income now rather than some random tax take in x years time got to be good.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I wonder if this could be a cunning plan. Get people to switch their ISA investments, etc into a main property to reduce their inheritance tax bill. So the tax man will pocket huge gains from stamp duty on the purchase of the new £1mn house (and a smaller amount on the place they moved out of). Total take probably more than the inheritance tax would have brought in, while still looking good to the core tory vote. Sorted. Extra tax income now rather than some random tax take in x years time got to be good.
    You think the govt's that clever ?

• Options
    cafc999 said:

limeygent said:

What about if you save some money in a high interest account and years later it's worth more. You have paid tax on your savings and on the interest so why again?

Inheritance tax, IMHO is poor show.

The issue here is about giving a tax break on houaes
  • Options
    I think there likely have been more than adequate taxes collected on a house during a normal span of ownership.
  • Options
    I quite like inheritance tax. If the government didn't tax inheritance then they would have to make up the shortfall elsewhere, most likely from green taxes or an increase of income tax. Instead, they tax you after you die, which is great because it doesn't matter what you think; you're dead
  • Options

I quite like inheritance tax. If the government didn't tax inheritance then they would have to make up the shortfall elsewhere, most likely from green taxes or an increase of income tax. Instead, they tax you after you die, which is great because it doesn't matter what you think; you're dead

Not a tax I'm ever likely to have to pay, so I'll leave others to enjoy paying theirs.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

You think the govt's that clever ?

The Govt. possibly not. Some of the cone-heads that beaver away in the vaults of HM Treasury, quite likely. And then there's all the VAT on the vast new Range Rover that would be needed to blend in with the new neighbours and on all the furniture, etc needed to fill the newly acquired house? Could be a nice little earner all round - for the taxman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what happens when Junior inherits the house having never worked a day in his life hence never paying a bean in income tax?

• Options

It's likely to be paid for by a reduction in the tax relief that high earners get on pension contributions. Far preferable from a personal point of view.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

So what happens when Junior inherits the house having never worked a day in his life hence never paying a bean in income tax?

Well, presumably, in that scenario, Junior can't afford the upkeep, council taxes, etc, has to sell the house and buy a smaller one generating two further tranches of stamp duty - another £60,000 odd of lovely money straight into the HMT coffers. (Which will pay for Junior's benefits for a few years anyway.)
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

Most people have children in their late twenties and most people die 75+ , so junior won't be so junior by the time he cops the family fortune, excepting tragic events.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    cafcfan said:

Well, presumably, in that scenario, Junior can't afford the upkeep, council taxes, etc, has to sell the house and buy a smaller one generating two further tranches of stamp duty - another £60,000 odd of lovely money straight into the HMT coffers. (Which will pay for Junior's benefits for a few years anyway.)

Or, in reality, our lucky junior rents it out to some stretched family, and lives off the rent...
  • Options
    Which is then taxed as income.
  • Options

Or, in reality, our lucky junior rents it out to some stretched family, and lives off the rent...

In which case, for the first time in his life, Junior will be paying a hefty slice of tax on his income and he won't be getting benefits anymore. Still a win-win for the Treasury.
  • Options
    It's another good policy from the Conservative government

For the vast majority of people like myself it gives comfort in the fact you are looking after your family and the taxman only taxes after £1m, what's not to like other than an excuse to bash those nasty Tories ...

• Options

It's another good policy from the Conservative government

For the vast majority of people like myself it gives comfort in the fact you are looking after your family and the taxman only taxes after £1m, what's not to like other than an excuse to bash those nasty Tories ...

There are plenty of things to not like.. I certainly would rather my kids (and others like them) were looked after now, when they really need it, rather than having to wait until they are 50 or 60. Skewing they system towards big houses encourages people - me - to sit in big houses right up to the day they die (because if I flog my house and downsize, my cash pile does get taxed).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Inheritance tax is abhorrent in my opinion, but giving a break to the properties when we're in a housing Crisis is a tad stupid.