Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the Championship really that hard to get back out of?

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Sunderland and Birmingham automatically, and West Brom in the play offs. Not saying it ain't a tough league, but it doesn't seem the death nail some are making out

Comments

• Options
    listening to west spam fans i know, it sounds hard, but they try and make you feel sorry for them dont they :)
  • Options
    Automatically seems to be the key, otherwise teams tend to get stuck there once the money gets tighter and their better players are snapped up by Premiership clubs.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Sunderland and Birmingham automatically, and West Brom in the play offs. Not saying it ain't a tough league, but it doesn't seem the death nail some are making out

Coventry, Derby, Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves, Palarse all went down and didn't get back. Ok some of those have (had) off field problems but in my opinion I think it will be harder for us to get back this time because in any event our team is in a state of transition given that Bent D will probably go (even if we stay up) and most of our good players are loanees who will move on. We also have 8 or more out of contract.
  • Options
    Birmingham went through the same in the summer, and have come back better for it, I don't think it's going to be half as bad as some want to believe it to be.

The clubs mentioned all had problems of one or another.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Birmingham went through the same in the summer, and have come back better for it, I don't think it's going to be half as bad as some want to believe it to be.

Last time we only lost Danny Mills. This time we will almost have to start from scratch. That's why I'm pessimistic.
  • Options
    Hence the Birmingham comparison, sold a lot in the summer, switched it round, and got on with life.
  • Options
    loanees could be very important next season, theres some good young premiership talent about e.g scott sinclair at chelsea. if pards can bring in the right men then were getting a free season ticket!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Hence the Birmingham comparison, sold a lot in the summer, switched it round, and got on with life.

Dowie allegedly spent next seasons money though. I don't know how much scope Pards will have.

I take the point though and hope you're right!
  • Options
    Like Len say's a fair few of the recently relegated teams had problems off the field-

As long as Pardew stays, with a real clearout and rebuild in the summer, I'm with Rothko!

Roll on some good pre- season matches to watch the completely rebuilt APRAWA
  • Options
    [cite] Dowie allegedly spent next seasons money though.

This was underwritten by a possible sale of Darren Bent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, unfortunately Darren Bent will probably go but I make it that this and the parachute money will cover the inflated squad wages / loss of Sky money for one year.

West Ham struggled but then look at the talent which left - Di Canio, Lampard had already gone, Johnson, Joe Cole Kanoute.

Loans will be the answer - would Song stay? and Carson? Aside from Darren Bent there are players whose deals end this summer I can see a turnaround and galvanising of the squad ready for a long season where we need to win every other week - but for me it's not the time to name names I'm sure we could lose a few and not notice!

Personally I'm looking forward to free Premiership football in 2008/9 !!!
  • Options
    oi, we ain't down yet. KEEP THE FAITH !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Birmingham went through the same in the summer, and have come back better for it, I don't think it's going to be half as bad as some want to believe it to be.

Birmingham have a 90% wages to turnover ratio. I cannot see our board sanctioning that so we may have to cut more savagely than them.

We'll get rid of a lot but I think we will make more "astute" signings to supplement the younger players with potential. It's going to be interesting but Pards has a lot of experience of building teams to challenge in that division and I put my faith in him and Parky to get things right.
  • Options
    I'll be at the Spurs game still hoping for the great escape and a mate's trying to convince me to go to Anfield if there's any chance - and if there is a chance I'll be there...so not given up just yet. The thing is that if it's been a long season for us then think of the players who have performed.

But the point is if we go down we'll be OK financially for 1-2 years and Pardew + the board know this. So we keep the players who can do a job over 46 games, lose any non-performing high earners and rebuild. And we'll have Kish back who has proved he can do a job in midfield in that division! Or has anyone missed how he nearly saved Leeds?

Anyone thought about Palace home and away + Dowie back at the Valley?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am going to try and go to Anfield, whether there's a chance or not. You never know when we'll be back!

I've got a childcare issue for the Spuds game which I haven't solved yet.
  • Options
    sadly I will not be able to watch Charlton's games anymore as they don't show fizzy pop league over here in US....that's the biggest bummer as I see the majority of games....
  • Options
    ct get yourself Setanta USA- they show a lot of live CCC & highlights too

SETANTA
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Hence the Birmingham comparison, sold a lot in the summer, switched it round, and got on with life.

Dowie allegedly spent next seasons money though. I don't know how much scope Pards will have.

I take the point though and hope you're right!

We get I think £11m in parachute money, season ticket sales should underwrite a lot of on-going expenditure and then there is the sale of Darren Bent (and possibly Luke Young to factor in).

As for there being 8 players out of contract, I see that as a good rather than bad thing. Some like Romm and JFH can go, and it means we won't be paying JFH's rumoured £15K a week salary. Those who are out of contract that we keep will be offered new contracts in keeping with CCC wages and won't be on EPL wages - a tough life earning £10K a week instead of £15K. A problem with a lot of relegated clubs is that they sign players and put them on contracts which are too high for the CCC/First Division etc. Leeds for example are still paying the wages of Danny Mills, Robbie Fowler and a couple of other players and Leeds carried a debt of £80m into relegation. Charlton on the other hand have no debt other than secured stuff on the ground re-construction. And on that note we have the ground already in place with a 27K capacity with no further money being needed to upgrade it.

Charlton will go in to the CCC in much better shape financially than many clubs and it's up to Pardew etc to build a new squad - if Bent and Young go plus the parachute money and TV revenues then the money is there to buy players, either ex-prem players dropping down a division, or good kids taking a step up. He's proven himself capable of doing that at West Ham and I trust him to do it again. Remember it's always darkest before the dawn. I hope he'll pick up a couple of loanees from somewhere and a couple of talented kids and as I've mentioned elsewhere the CCC is an easier place to bring some of these younger players from the youth/reserve team through, Walker, Weston, Gislason, Youga, Ashton, Dickson, Arter, Wright, one of them at least must be capable of making it.

The comparison with Birmingham is good, they shipped out a couple of players and brought in a couple of players who were at the likes of Arsenal but couldn't get games, maybe Wenger will let us keep Song for another season? He doesn't look ready for Arsenal's fisrt team yet and I reckon Wenger would rather he played under a good manager like Pardew and remain in London. Perhaps with the monry we could put in a cheeky bid for Scott Carson? Again it has to be better for him playing regular first team football than reserve team stuff and bench warming every weekend?