Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

News Hopper

Sorry if I've missed this on CL already, but have we heard that the Shopper is moving to Sutton? This means that we'll probably lose local reporter representation at press conferences. The media rarely covers our club as it is. Without Newshopper based in SE London office, there will only be the club's official comms team reporting on what's going on. The sport journalists and others from Newshopper are currently on strike and CAFC fans might want to support them/tweet/man barricades etc,
More details here:
https://nuj.org.uk/news/news-shopper-staff-start-two-day-strike-in-newsquest-dispute/

Comments

• Options
    It says, "similar cuts are being made in our south-east London sister office, where reporters are being asked to work remotely with just a laptop for company."

• Options
    If they can get the bloke who delivers mine, to shut the fucking gate each week, I might consider supporting them!
  • Options
    Is this Creepy Crawley's mob or is that the SLP?

Either way, some of our local press gets a lot of unfair flack on here, but as pretty much the only external news bodies showing any interest in regularly reporting on CAFC I think they should be getting our support. We've seen that the current owners are not willing to share that much information with us fans directly so we need a few journos rumedging around in the Valley bins, so to speak.
  • Options

Is this Creepy Crawley's mob or is that the SLP?

Either way, some of our local press gets a lot of unfair flack on here, but as pretty much the only external news bodies showing any interest in regularly reporting on CAFC I think they should be getting our support. We've seen that the current owners are not willing to share that much information with us fans directly so we need a few journos rumedging around in the Valley bins, so to speak.

I think it's going to be one of those things that we'll only miss when it's gone Ex.
  • Options
    The paper is a waste of space. They were only interested in CAFC when the "sex on the pitch" video was released. They run "news" stories about total non-events, relying on pictures from the public and police twitter reports.
    Add to this the articles they run entitled "Sydenham's Rolf Harris.etc etc etc" or "Bexley's Sam Bailey....etc etc", and you can see they are just trying to fill the space between adverts.

They did nothing to publicise the fundraising for Frankie-Rose treatment in USA (see thread on here), but were happy to "run the story" after the £100k had been raised in record time.

The abandoned rubbish dump near Crittals Corner gets a mention once in a blue moon, meanwhile the NS gives us news that .............."Disney could be making a film about Downe's Charles Darwin".
  • Options
    I like the News Shopper, their website is very good for local news. Why do so many have to judge everything in connection with CAFC?
  • Options

The paper is a waste of space. They were only interested in CAFC when the "sex on the pitch" video was released. They run "news" stories about total non-events, relying on pictures from the public and police twitter reports.
    Add to this the articles they run entitled "Sydenham's Rolf Harris.etc etc etc" or "Bexley's Sam Bailey....etc etc", and you can see they are just trying to fill the space between adverts.

They did nothing to publicise the fundraising for Frankie-Rose treatment in USA (see thread on here), but were happy to "run the story" after the £100k had been raised in record time.

The abandoned rubbish dump near Crittals Corner gets a mention once in a blue moon, meanwhile the NS gives us news that .............."Disney could be making a film about Downe's Charles Darwin".

They were only interested in CAFC when the "sex on the pitch" video was released

I've been reading that paper for about 25 years. I don't think there's ever been a week without some Charlton news in it. The "sex on the pitch" story went viral and was reported in the national press, so inevitable that they'll give it a bit more coverage than a story such as "Charlton sign Neil Etheridge".

They run "news" stories about total non-events, relying on pictures from the public and police twitter reports.

It's a local paper, so they can only report stuff that has a local angle. If you think the stories are "total non-events then don't ever move to the countryside - I have a mate who lives out in the sticks who showed me his local paper a few months ago. Front page lead was "Man finds dead rat in loft". As for relying on public and police Twitter reports, Sky does that, they have a section on their news app where you can upload your own stories. I'm afraid that's how media works in the 21st century.

Find me a FREE local newspaper that doesn't do that.

The News Shopper covers South East London and Kent, quite a large area. Why on earth should they be reporting on Crittals Corner every other week? I don't think the fly tipping next to Hither Green Station gets much coverage, but then I doubt that anyone in Orpington, Eltham or Sidcup gives a monkey's about it, so I wouldn't expect them to run loads of stories on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A "News Hopper"
  • Options
    I haven't seen a paper copy in years, and now I refuse to visit their site.

I became a bit peeved with the clickbait style headlines - which were pretty often misleading, and then stories which I felt were just there to incite a little bit of friction and tension within the comments. Often at the cost of whoever the article actually involved.

I think the final straw was around the time there was a story about someone dying with a sex toy inside them, the headline was supposed to be funny and the the tone wasn't exactly serious either. Then you read lots of comments taking the piss, only to realise that actually the poor guy had severe learning difficulties, left behind a bereaved mother and would've been in agony for potentially multiple days - but hey, that means sod all - it got them a few comments and some page hits. I'm sure she loved her sons death being used for a cheap laugh.

If that's what the paper thinks of the people it's written for (i.e, local people) then screw 'em, they can't go out of business quick enough. It will be a real shame for those currently relying upon NS for work, such as Paul, but I'm sure those with talent wont be out of a job for long.

I got the impression that they tried to dive in to monetising their website, and lost their values and disconnected with the communities they were trying to serve. As far as I'm concerned, the SLP serve South London pretty well, and the Kent Messenger (KentOnline) provide a pretty good site too.
  • Options
    .......so inevitable that they'll give it a bit more coverage than a story such as "Charlton sign Neil Etheridge".

That's a poor journalistic standard, in my view.

........Sky does that, they have a section on their news app where you can upload your own stories. I'm afraid that's how media works in the 21st century.

So, no reason for me to read/use NS then, as Sky will be better. In 21st Century media, you need a USP.

Doesn't make it right though.
    Metro and the Standard both cover large areas without trying to find out if Colonel Gaddaffi ever shopped at Lidl in Gravesend.

The News Shopper covers South East London and Kent, quite a large area. Why on earth should they be reporting on Crittals Corner every other week?

Because (by your own observation above) they are just trying to fill the space between adverts, so why not fill the space with a campaign on a local issue - instead of running non-stories about Z list celebs who once lived in Sidcup/wherever.

The above is just my view of course, and I have no involvement or knowledge of the current dispute, but I wonder what actually constitutes "news gathering" at NS HQ ?

Seems to me the Pubspy is the only reporter who actually goes out and does anything.
  • Options

.......so inevitable that they'll give it a bit more coverage than a story such as "Charlton sign Neil Etheridge".

That's a poor journalistic standard, in my view.

So they should give the same coverage to the signing of a reserve keeper as they would to a story that's made national news? Really? With any media, bigger stories get more coverage, they're known as "headlines".

........Sky does that, they have a section on their news app where you can upload your own stories. I'm afraid that's how media works in the 21st century.

So, no reason for me to read/use NS then, as Sky will be better. In 21st Century media, you need a USP.

Sky is a national/international media outlet serving a completely different purpose. You'll get even less coverage of Crittals Corner on Sky than you do in the NS.

Doesn't make it right though.
    Metro and the Standard both cover large areas without trying to find out if Colonel Gaddaffi ever shopped at Lidl in Gravesend.

Metro is a national newspaper (and is full of dull celebrity gossip). Standard covers the whole of London - the capital city, financial centre, where parliament is based, and one of the biggest cities in the world. Hardly fair to compare that to a local paper covering largely residential areas. Sevenoaks Chronicle would be a more relevant comparison, although you have to pay for that.

The News Shopper covers South East London and Kent, quite a large area. Why on earth should they be reporting on Crittals Corner every other week?

Because (by your own observation above) they are just trying to fill the space between adverts, so why not fill the space with a campaign on a local issue - instead of running non-stories about Z list celebs who once lived in Sidcup/wherever.

Like yourself, I couldn't care less about the X-Factor, but lots of people do, and that makes it newsworthy, particularly when there's a local angle to it. I'm not remotely interested in Taylor Swift either, but she's been all over the media this week (including the Standard) because there are a shedload of people out there who find her fascinating. I'm yet to find a newspaper that has stories of interest to me on every single page.

The above is just my view of course, and I have no involvement or knowledge of the current dispute, but I wonder what actually constitutes "news gathering" at NS HQ ?

Seems to me the Pubspy is the only reporter who actually goes out and does anything.

You've entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, just think you're misunderstanding the remit of a local paper, and the resources it has at its disposal.