Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England can win 2022 World Cup, says U21s boss Gareth Southgate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33272015

Mental! Do we not have the indignity of seeing yet another England team going out of an international tournament for the third successive year in a pathetic manner, without hearing such bollocks as this.

Granted the full team have gone quietly about rebuilding after the joke of last year's WC (albeit in a weak group), but I genuinely think we've lost another generation of players here in terms of getting tournament winning quality, and success might not come until the 2030s if that

Comments

• He can say what he likes, don't mean to say it's gonna happen
  • hes just an FA Clone. absolitely clueless .
  • I rest my case for the prosecution
  • So can Wales; Scotland even, if they enter. Doesn't make it likely though. Wonder where it will be played?
  • Sorry .. anything that Southgate says is to be taken with a bag of salt .. his management record is poor, he is well and truly on the FA bandwagon/gravy train and most of what he says will be either self serving or to make his masters at the FA look more competent, efficient and forward thinking than they actually are .. of course England can/are capable of winning the 2022 W.C, but with muppets like Southgate running the show, the odds are against it
  • So the FA aren't going to boycott it?

All talk no trousers. Lavish gifts in Doha hotels, allegedly.
  • The key here is that he doesn't actually say that.

'2022 is the target and that gives us a goal to aim for'

(I too think the man is ill-equipped for the job)
  • Of course we can win the World cup in 2022.

If it's proven that Qatar bribed their to way to Victory.
    We must have a New vote.
    William,Kate.George,Becks,Brucie,Balding, Dame Judy, Ben Stokes.
    Lets get all the big hitters out.
    No one puts on a show like Britain.
    We can moan like fuxk for 7 years about how much it's going to cost then deliver the best World cup since ? off the top of my head, say 1966.

It can be in our Summer, so we can watch the footie with the lovely warm rain water hitting our face.
    WE won't have to qualify, so we can get our 3 matches in the group stages,
    Then our players can go off on their holiday, while the rest of the teams show us how tournament football is played.

Southgate has a nose for these things.

Winning the bid, no problem.
    Oh, he means winning the football part of the World Cup ?
    About us much chance of Britain winning the Eurovision song contest.

• edited June 2015
    We're further away now than we were 15 years ago.

Since we failed to qualify for USA '94, France, Spain and Germany have all gone through a period of overhauling their system followed by at least one World Cup win and going deep into tournaments.

Even when our club sides were the best in the world in the late 90s to early 00s we couldn't get beyond the QTRs at the World Cup and at that time there was still a core of English talent in most of the top club sides so it isn't just about too many foreigners etc etc.

Truth is there is no silver bullet for this, the whole system is broken and needs a complete overhaul - our managers aren't good enough, our coaches aren't good enough, our players aren't good enough, the system for nurturing our youngsters actually stifles a lot of them... the list of problems goes on and on.

I agree with Cabbles, I don't think we'll get a sniff of an international trophy for another 15 years at least and that's if the overhaul starts tomorrow, which it won't.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015
    Gareth Southgate is one person who shouldnt tell whoppers, his nose is big enough already.
  • edited June 2015
    I think he is technically correct, but in the same way that any of us can win the lottery. Sometimes you can get a perfect alignment of players and I can see potential in England - but they will need more goals from midfield. Wilshire might step up but long term Shelvey is a better bet than Henderson unless the latter finds goals in his game. Still wont win it though.
  • edited June 2015
    Didnt someone say something similar about the generation that included Beckham, Ferdinand, Butt, Scholes, Redknapp etc? cant remember how that turned out, and Im still waiting for Crystal Palaces team of the 80s to come good.
  • cabbles said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33272015

Mental! Do we not have the indignity of seeing yet another England team going out of an international tournament for the third successive year in a pathetic manner, without hearing such bollocks as this.

Granted the full team have gone quietly about rebuilding after the joke of last year's WC (albeit in a weak group), but I genuinely think we've lost another generation of players here in terms of getting tournament winning quality, and success might not come until the 2030s if that

In fairness, that crop of players were pretty weak. Only stones, Jenkinson and Kane have any chance of playing much international football
  • England have got themselves a good little formula at every level

Qualify = Failure = Repeat

Mark Lawrenson: Young English players overpaid and not hungry http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33265323
  • More chance of us signing Messi.

That U21 side was total dogshit.
  • We're further away now than we were 15 years ago.

Since we failed to qualify for USA '94, France, Spain and Germany have all gone through a period of overhauling their system followed by at least one World Cup win and going deep into tournaments.

Even when our club sides were the best in the world in the late 90s to early 00s we couldn't get beyond the QTRs at the World Cup and at that time there was still a core of English talent in most of the top club sides so it isn't just about too many foreigners etc etc.

Truth is there is no silver bullet for this, the whole system is broken and needs a complete overhaul - our managers aren't good enough, our coaches aren't good enough, our players aren't good enough, the system for nurturing our youngsters actually stifles a lot of them... the list of problems goes on and on.

I agree with Cabbles, I don't think we'll get a sniff of an international trophy for another 15 years at least and that's if the overhaul starts tomorrow, which it won't.

It kills me because every tournament I think maybe. It's going to be the same next year at the Euros. We'll go into it confidently off the back of winning our group and they'll just let us down. I agree with your point about broken system, bad players but it seems that the FA think they're on the right track according to more reports today.
  • England have got themselves a good little formula at every level

Mark Lawrenson: Young English players overpaid and not hungry http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33265323

"They would win it with the top players by miles. They seriously would. Those players in midfield or up front would have won this competition very, very easily."

DELUDED.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. How can he seriously stand there and argue that that? What the same players that got knocked out of the World Cup with one point? Just because we watch sterling and Barkley every week doesn't mean they're better than the other young foreign players playing week in week out in their leagues.
  • dizzee said:

England have got themselves a good little formula at every level

"They would win it with the top players by miles. They seriously would. Those players in midfield or up front would have won this competition very, very easily."

DELUDED.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. How can he seriously stand there and argue that that? What the same players that got knocked out of the World Cup with one point? Just because we watch sterling and Barkley every week doesn't mean they're better than the other young foreign players playing week in week out in their leagues.
    Exactly. Not one of the Italian team had been capped for the full national team
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Brilliant! This from the same bloke who missed the penalty in the 96 Euros.
    What is the best way out of Wembley? - By the Southgate.

And then profited from it, having let down the entire nation.
  • There's no doubting we would have done better with the top young players there. We created chances but failed to finish them. But saying we definitely would have won it is going a bit far.

And the lines about young players getting too much money is such a tired argument. How Lawrenson still gets work I'll never know.
  • If England win the 2022 World Cup I'll have a tattoo of Selhurst Park tattooed on my 66 year old arse.

don't bother .. crinkly and agéd skin does not tattoo too well .. after a few months Selhurst Park will look like a broken down garden shed .. mmm come to think about it ((:>)
  • We've regressed a long way since Italia 90 and Euro 96 and become serial failures and under-achievers at international level. The Premier League clubs don't want their players competing in these sort of tournaments and the FA are impotent in the face of the PL's power and wealth. Although Lawro is wrong to say that we'd have won this tournament easily if we had the additional players available, I do agree with what he says about many young players lacking hunger - too much money too early can't help some of these lads.

A related - and more important - problem is the stockpiling of players by clubs like Chelsea, which denies young players game time. Some jobsworth from the FA is saying on the BBC website that we just need to give the Elite Player Performance Plan time to come to fruition and all will be well. In reality, the EPPP is just another example of the FA kowtowing to the PL and I would suggest that the EPPP is actually likely to stymie the development of many young English players - i.e. it will have quite the opposite effect to it's stated objective. In truth, EPPP is simply designed to further the commercial interests of the PL.

In the light of this latest failure at international level, I do hope we're not going to have to listen to Greg Dyke and the imbecilic Danny Mills prattling on again about introducing PL 'B teams' into the Football League pyramid. Hopefully, that ridiculous idea is dead.
  • cabbles said:

dizzee said:

DELUDED.

I didn't realise that.

I knew that they had played twice as many games in Serie A.
    than our team had in the Premier.

• We could have taken our first team to u21 Euros, but we still wouldn't win it.
  • "With a better midfield and attack we would have won it easily" so Harry Kane is suddenly not good enough for all the half arsed pundits out there? Fucking joke, the sooner people wake up and smell the coffee and realise we as a nation are not a dominant football force the better. The best players in the world play in England because we pay them shit loads to, not because they've always dreamed of lining up alongside Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck or James Milner!
  • cabbles said:

dizzee said:

DELUDED.

I didn't realise that.

I knew that they had played twice as many games in Serie A.
    than our team had in the Premier.

Mainly because Italian teams are still run by Italians and don't throw crazy money around, therefore young Italian players are playing a lot of football, which is good for the national team but unfortunately the great teams of the past have fallen away which is a massive shame. I'm a bit bored of Munich and Barca dominating.

• I'd say Southgate should pay the penalty for England's woeful performance but he'd probably miss it!
  • edited June 2015
    Not in 40 degree heat we're not (and that's if it gets moved to winter) regardless of new emerging talent and I assume a decent coach in Neville in charge.