Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kola Karim interested in buying Charlton? (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    Karim is a minted London-based Nigerian oil boss, very much in the West london polo set, and stated in November intentions of buying a premier league club.
  • Options
    It's all happening today
  • Options
    Kola Karim is Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Shoreline Energy International, a leading energy and infrastructure company focused on Africa. Karim's current portfolio focuses on the construction, commodity trading, catering, entertainment, agro-allied products, oil and gas, engineering and power sectors. In addition to his role at Shoreline Energy International, Karim is Chairman of Costain West Africa and serves as Director in seven subsidiary companies, including Schlumberger Testing & Production Services Nigeria and Trans Amadi Facilities, and is Chairman of Nigerian Ropes. He is also a Member of the Institute of Directors in Nigeria. Karim has delivered numerous papers at international conferences and investment forums and has participated in a number of courses, including management and leadership programmes at the Harvard Business School and John F. Kennedy School of Government.
  • Options
    for those that can't read Twitter:

On @BloombergTV today, Kola Karim seemed to suggest he's interested in buying Charlton Athletic 'non EPL club in London'
  • Options
    If he bought us I wonder if the Sparrows Lane development would go ahead.
  • Options
    From a feature in Tatler last November on wealthy Nigerians in London:

Kola Karim does drive a very lovely, very yellow Ferrari Italia 458 here in London, one of two he was given by 'generous friends - good friends'. He had it parked recently in Chelsea, 'and this lady said her son wouldlove to have a picture with the car. I said, "Feel free." And then she said, "Who do you play for?" I said, "Play what?" "Football," she said. 'What team did I play for? Was she being racist? No. But that was her understanding.' The automatic assumption was that a prosperous black man could only be a footballer or a rap star. But Karim, a very successful businessman who's taken his mother's trading company into construction and oil, does indeed encounter racism. 'Oh, yes. It's normal. There's a lot of ignorance around.' Ignorance that ranges from stewardesses automatically shepherding you towards economy to policemen pulling you and your Ferrari over. 'In the country recently, we went to lunch at a restaurant. We walked in, and the whole place stopped eating - it was like we were going to pull a gun and stick everyone up.' Then some local grandees appeared and sat down with Karim - at which point other people from other tables felt it was in their interests to meet this funny foreigner. It's happened as well to others in this article, at nightclubs in London and Paris. As for Cuppy, she was in Switzerland, interning at an oil-trading company, when the story about Oprah Winfrey being mistreated in a shop in Zurich was reported. 'It was hilarious. [Store staff] were all over us. I loved it. I wish Oprah complained every time.' Mind you, says one man, 'I find green is accepted everywhere.' 'Yes,' says Karim, only half-laughing. 'When you're wealthy, you don't see it. Either the guy wants to collect your money, or not.'

But far more important for Karim is showing that there are 'better and better prospects' for his continent. 'Because Africa's like a pair of shoes. You wouldn't get good money for it if it wasn't polished. If it's dirty and it looks worn out, no one wants to buy it. We're trying to show the world a side of Africa they don't see.' That's why Karim was more than happy to let Ralph Lauren throw a party for him and donate 15 per cent of the Bond Street store's takings that day to a charity of his choosing - one benefiting autistic children. '396 people turned up. Very successful.' (Misan Harriman helped set it up, and Cartier have been in touch with him about a similar event; he sees great potential in acting as a conduit between Nigeria and the West.) Kessie Edewor-Thorley was there, and Nacho Figueras, and two of Karim's own polo ponies, outside the store - the other 10 were, as usual, at the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club. Next year, Karim will focus on buying a farm in England and keeping his équipe there. He's got another acquisition in mind, too: a Premier League football club.

'If you imagine a continent of 900 million people who are football crazy, imagine the followership of an African businessman. Think about the marketing. It's awesome.' Even more so if his currently 12-year-old son were playing - he's been scouted by Chelsea already. Meantime, the boy attends Bruern Abbey, while his older sister goes to Benenden and his younger one to 'Holland Park Prep'. Karim's son plays polo too, as does his brother, though Karim's handicap's gone down from +2 to 0, 'with so much work going on. We're the second-largest independent oil producer in Africa, by reserves [1.3bn barrels], and we're building.' No wonder he has homes in Lagos, London, Marbella and Miami.

Karim's firm has a private jet, but he prefers to fly commercial - he's a people person and flying alone bores him senseless. But his fellow polo enthusiast Prince Albert Esiri, a 'well-known' billionaire - he's been playing for 33 years, has a handicap of zero at Hamin this country, a string of 133 ponies and Nigeria's 'premier private polo facility' in Delta State - flew into the 2012 UAE Nations Cup in Dubai in his personal Gulfstream G2 jet. Others too are keen on private jets, not least because BA's London flights are packed and expensive - Nigerian newspapers rage at the comparative cost of first-class tickets to London from Lagos and Accra, both being much the same distance and Accra half the cost. And first class it just has to be. 'Yeah,' cackles Kessie, relishing the absurdity, 'you hear people saying, "And they travelled premium economy!"'

Full piece:
    http://www.tatler.com/news/articles/november-2013/the-nigerians-have-arrived
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nigerian millionaire eh?

Na you're alright.

:image
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It would. But we'd have to have a Gospel 'Church' on site too.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Leuth said:

Fuck me, I've tutored his son! :D

I read that as turtored at first. Thought he'd been reading your missus match reports.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Grazing land for the polo ponies?

Perhaps Mr Karim has been talking with Chief Arthur Nzeribe, our most recent Nigerian director ....
  • Options
    Interesting news especially on the back of selling JG. Perhaps Roland is getting out and making a few quid too. No doubt he can sell us for more than he paid.
  • Options
    Theres a pigeon in your bank account
  • Options
    Just sticking my head out of my panic bunker to say, being sold now could derail our recruitment process at least in the short term.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

seth plum said:

It would. But we'd have to have a Gospel 'Church' on site too.
    Maybe Richard Rufus could be the vicar?
    he'd throw a mean charity fundraising do
  • Options

Interesting news especially on the back of selling JG. Perhaps Roland is getting out and making a few quid too. No doubt he can sell us for more than he paid.

Not sure about that give the amount of debt now on the books.
  • Options
    Just watched the interview. says he's looking at a London non premier League club in an area with a high African population, so us with the big west African community is an obvious, but doesn't mean it couldn't be Brentford or Fulham.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Theres a pigeon in your bank account

http://youtu.be/bOOH1-N3EcE
  • Options
    This is the guy who was linked to Arsenal a week ago, I assume he was politely rebuffed and is aiming lower...
  • Options
    Does he say why the area needs a high African population?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

The blokes minted, and has access to serious funds.

Can we keep the stereotypes to a minimum?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but, the article above that talks about racism and his experiences with it might, just, make us a better fit for him, personally. I don't follow what other clubs do but I'd be surprised if there are many other clubs that have as much involvement in anti-racism (kick it out where Ben Tegg worked for a number of years before joining our community team, and the red, white and black days) I can see why he might be interested in buying us for other than just the football. Not that there are not good footballing reasons to buy us as well.

It is unlikely that he will be buying a club in West London, where is sounds his London base is, so why not us?

I still think this will come to nothing but it is, at least, for a while, exciting.
  • Options
    Lives in London which is a good start. He wants to own a Prem club. Likes sport and son is a very good footballer. Has identified Africa as a good stream of income so his plan is not based on chucking money and hoping. Is a very successful businessman. Seems to have a good sense of humour (which he will need with us lot).

What's not to like?