Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Patrick Bauer has signed! (4 year deal - June 15)

Comments

• JFC and Kashi looked shattered second half Thursday, and JFC didn't look that much more energetic yesterday. Got round the pitch ok, but not as sharp as he was and the team were generally sloppy both legs. Comes down to a squad that is too small to last deep into May. We all knew it at the start of the season, and Roland never made the funds available to fix it. End result is getting beaten by a fitter/stronger team.

Easy to blame Roland for everything but I disagree that our squad itself was small, it's just that we lacked quality so we relied on the same few players too heavily.
    Squad is massively unbalanced in so many ways. Same as every season under Duchatelet.

agreed, and I expect nothing under Roland, one of many reasons he needs to fuck off. But we had enough players in the squad, and were definitely unlucky with injuries, it was quality/balance rather than quantity though
    Robbo had plenty of "attacking" midfielders for his 4-2-3-1 formation but only one who was disciplined enough for the pivotal CHF position in the middle of the 3: Billy Clarke. When Clarko got injured there was no like-for-like back-up, just round pegs for square holes.

A sensible manager would have amended the formation to suit the personnel available so that everyone was playing to their strengths - Robbo was unable/unwilling to do that, Lord Bowyer did it immediately and played variations of 4-4-2 for the rest of the season.
    That's my point, we had quantity but not quality. Reeves, Marshall, Kaikai, Mavididi, Ajose, Magennis and Zyro have all disappointed. Some have shown glimpses but no consistent quality.
  • Bauer and Pearce are good enough for the Champ.
  • I know that Patrick wants to stay with us but there have been no discussions over his contract nor does he feel there is anyone that he can discuss his current one with either.
    Get the feeling he wont be with us next season- playing elsewhere in England.
  • Good marauding run in the inside forward position but with Pearce they play too deep. Needs a quicker player alongside. Sarr?
  • dizzee said:

Bauer and Pearce are good enough for the Champ.

Bauer has already proved he is not good enough for Championship. Decent enough for League One, that's it.
  • Big fan of Bauer. He just needs to work on his concentration when runners are coming into the box as we've conceded too many goals where teams get the ball wide during an overload and men aren't picked up. I always feel more secure with him in the team and he's only 25 so hopefully we can keep him for the next few years. Definitely capable of performing in the Championship

Having watched the last three games on TV (perhaps not the best games to judge us on) but where were the midfielders coming back with those runners or for that matter supporting our forwards.
    This was a problem for us all season. Something our entire defense and midfield needs to work on.
  • Good marauding run in the inside forward position but with Pearce they play too deep. Needs a quicker player alongside. Sarr?

Thissssssssssssssss.

With a quicker player where he can play a higher line is where we are most effective. Pearce instinctively drops too deep and we get scrambled. Bauer can actually play a high line as he reads the game well and he is comfortable defending anywhere, higher up the pitch, 1-v-1 with a player running at him, out wide, etc.
  • I know that Patrick wants to stay with us but there have been no discussions over his contract nor does he feel there is anyone that he can discuss his current one with either.

But his contract has a further year to run, so he will be, unless we sell him.
  • dizzee said:

The reason the Pearce was released by Wigan as soon as they went up to the championship is because he is not good enough for that league.
    How they get on in that league without him?
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

The reason the Pearce was released by Wigan as soon as they went up to the championship is because he is not good enough for that league.
    They might still have been relegated if they kept him, but it does show that teams quite often get it wrong when getting rid of players

Sheffield Wednesday got rid of Michael Morrison to us. We went up as champions

We then got rid of him to Birmingham, who are still in the Championship while we will be facing our 3rd season in L1...

• dizzee said:

They might still have been relegated if they kept him, but it does show that teams quite often get it wrong when getting rid of players

Sheffield Wednesday got rid of Michael Morrison to us. We went up as champions

We then got rid of him to Birmingham, who are still in the Championship while we will be facing our 3rd season in L1...

Oh goodness me.. I briefly forgot about Morrison going for nothing to Birmingham whilst we continued to slide down as we have done ever since.

Terrible, terrible memories and treatment he received by the club, Peeters and Katrien.

How I’d do anything to have Morrison and Kermorgant back in the side, we would’ve been promoted this season, for that I am sure.
  • edited May 2018

I know that Patrick wants to stay with us but there have been no discussions over his contract nor does he feel there is anyone that he can discuss his current one with either.

yes, but most 'normal' clubs start to renegotiate with their 1 year-left players in order that the player himself doesnt run down the clock and go on a free, Patrick himself has said that noone has opened negotiations with him or his agent, nor is there anyone at the club who can be asked the same question. He thinks he may well be at another club next season, presumably sold.
  • PopIcon said:

dizzee said:

Bauer has already proved he is not good enough for Championship. Decent enough for League One, that's it.
    Wholly dispute this. He looked good alongside Diarra ( he was pretty young then too) but then less good alongside Sarr and others. Anyway, it's unlikely we will find out; I can't see him signing a new deal

yes, but most 'normal' clubs start to renegotiate with their 1 year-left players in order that the player himself doesnt run down the clock and go on a free, Patrick himself has said that noone has opened negotiations with him or his agent, nor is there anyone at the club who can be asked the same question. He thinks he may well be at another club next season, presumably sold.
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but if there's no one to negotiate a new contract, there's no one to negotiate him being sold either.

Yes of course it would be prudent to get the ball rolling, but your initial comment was you felt he wouldn't be with us next season, when he is contracted to be. Let's hope the takeover happens soon and these matters are attended to.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but if there's no one to negotiate a new contract, there's no one to negotiate him being sold either.

Yes of course it would be prudent to get the ball rolling, but your initial comment was you felt he wouldn't be with us next season, when he is contracted to be. Let's hope the takeover happens soon and these matters are attended to.
    didn't stop us selling Holmes though did it?

• Wouldn’t surprise me if Bauer goes somewhere like Bolton
  • They haven't got any money
  • PopIcon said:

dizzee said:

He was young, playing in a poor side and in his first season in English football. We went through 3 managers and I think he was out injured for part of that season.

If he gets back there with us he’ll be much more experienced and promotion would suggest he’s playing in a good team.
  • Scoham said:

PopIcon said:

dizzee said:

He was young, playing in a poor side and in his first season in English football. We went through 3 managers and I think he was out injured for part of that season.

If he gets back there with us he’ll be much more experienced and promotion would suggest he’s playing in a good team.
    Easily Championship standard now. Indeed I rate him higher than Konsa
  • Sponsored links:

• Bauer is a really good centre half. When he first came into our championship team he wa an absolute rock.

He had some slightly less impressive form after coming back from injury, next to Sarr and I think on his less favoured side but I am not sure on that.

I think he would start at most championship clubs.
  • Bauer on the right hand side would IMO get in at least 6-10 champ sides.
  • dizzee said:

That's what we thought of Francis...

I would expect that wages may well be the stumbling block, obviously Patrick would be on Championship money , and it may be the new owners might not want to pay that. I'm just relaying what he said.
  • Rumours are off to Leeds
  • I heard Blackburn
  • Redhenry said:

I heard Blackburn

Called this a few weeks back on the transfer rumours thread
  • Redhenry said:

I heard Blackburn

So did I :smile: