Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Bauer has signed! (4 year deal - June 15)

Comments

• Options
    I'm realistic enough to realise he might not be up to scratch but I hope for the best.

Optimism, as long as it isn't the blind "what's not to like" variety, is much more fun over the summer.

• Options

dickplumb said:

Everyone was optimistic about polish pete...he was crap. I dont hold out much hope tbh and have a gut feeling he will be rubbish

There is nothing like being positive. Why would you think he is rubbish before seeing him play? It doesn't make sense, just because Polish Pete is not good it doesn't mean that Patrick Baeur is the same. There is no correlation between the two.

To be fair to SCP, plenty on here think he will be good before seeing him. Just a matter of whether your glass is half full or half empty at the moment I guess.

I am personally cautiously optimistic about the signing. Cautious for the reasons AFKA points out above but optimistic given what I have read about him. Anyway, we now have one first team squad CB so that is a (small) start.
    That was pretty much the whole point of my post...
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Everyone was optimistic about polish pete...he was crap. I dont hold out much hope tbh and have a gut feeling he will be rubbish

Have fun with that feeling, he was part of an unfancied team that got to the Portuguese equivalent of the FA Cup final just last season, he has to have a bit about him
    Bradford got to the final of the league cup a couple of seasons ago, all of their players must be good enough to play in the Championship for us.....
    "Having something about you" and "entire squad must be good enough to play for us" are two completely different kettles of fish. Bradford beat Chelsea last season in the cup, does that also mean none of the Chelsea squad are good enough for us? Of course it doesn't.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

He ticks a lot of boxes, but so did Polish Pete, Reza and Thuram and those examples mean I'm a little more cautious to make any judgement on an overseas signing until actually seeing them play.

If he is the new Carl Tiler, I'll be happy with that.

Every player should be judged after seeing them play over a period of time. There just seems a tendency to write players off before they have played for us which, to me, is illogical. Yes we have made mistakes with Foreign players in the past, but we have also had successes.

Just to point out, im not writing him off and will judge him when i see him play. My post was basically trying to make the point that everyone saying he is a good signing without seeing him play (not singling you out DP btw)
  • Options
    I am pleased purely because for a great deal of last season (once Bikey lost the plot for whatever reason in fact) it was apparent we lacked a defender who had height and presence and could attack a ball in the air either defensively or at an attacking set piece. Johnson could have been that man if not for the rib injury but he's now gone, yet straight away the weakness has been addressed, in theory of course at this stage but that's better than nothing.

I would still prefer at least one older head in the defence to keep things organised - Solly seems to suffer if he has to try and organise the entire defence as well as play his own game, Fox is probably not leadership material yet, and Bikey is... Bikey. A wily old pro like Ben Haim or Johnson would not go amiss at all, but there's plenty of time.
  • Options

Was voted 3rd best defender in Portugal for season 2013/14. Says heading is his obvious strength

Wonder if he's been signed for attacking corners an area we were extremely weak at last season (Bikey v Wolves was one of the few corners we scored from wasnt it?)

As well I'd like to see how he manouvers, for a big guy up against some quick Championship defenders I hope he's not one of these units with the turning ability of a WW2 tank
    Don't mention the war.

Please Move on.

• Options

He may be rubbish but... Maritimo are in the Primeira Liga which is seen as the fifth best European League, ahead of France and just behind Italy, with FC Porto having won the Champions League in the recent era.

Polish Pete on the hand was signed from De Graafschap who at the time were a Dutch 2nd Division side which is no where near the level of the Portuguese top tier whilst the Dutch Eredivisie is only regarded at Europe's 9th top tier which is behind Ukraine and Russia in the rankings

Thanks for your input statto :-)

• Options
    Please give him shirt number 24
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The BBC still don't know Charlton has signed him.

Nothing on their Charlton home page and nothing on their Transfer Deals page:
    "All Premier League, Football League, Scottish Premiership and major European transfers will appear here."

I thought the BBC's remit was to report news?

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Hmmmm, part Richard Rufus, part Patrick Mc Carthy? ...and where were the supporters in the footage? Friendlies? Still, he does look fit. Looking forward to seeing it all gel, all you can do...
  • Options

Yet again no Scarfy.

As he is German and the first signing, he should be holding a Charlton towel.
    He was... Left it on a sunbed at 5am this morning though
  • Options
    He looks like he runs weird....
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He looks like he runs weird....

So does Sterling and he's worth £40m+ AND he can hit the side netting.
  • Options

Please give him shirt number 24

I would have thought it would be 'Nein'
  • Options
    If he, as a defender, is in the same class as Igor and Johan, which I suspect he will be, I will be very happy - welcome Patrick!
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

And our skipper will wear number...?
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33238532

The BBC now mentioning it, though also still repeating the £3.5m figure...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Do you think Jonathan Jackson will be near the first team next year?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Pedro45 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Possibly not a regular starter, but he will still keep his number!
  • Options

He ticks a lot of boxes, but so did Polish Pete, Reza and Thuram and those examples mean I'm a little more cautious to make any judgement on an overseas signing until actually seeing them play.

From that video I am bit concerned he'll be the new Harry Cripps!
  • Options

From that video I am bit concerned he'll be the new Harry Cripps!
    Cripps - as in we sign him, and we get promoted?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Pedro45 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Possibly not a regular starter, but he will still keep his number!
    Yeah maybe in his new Sheffield Wednesday kit.
  • Options

ross1 said:

Probably all sorted out after the comms staff had finished for the day, so expect it on the OS tomorrow

You mean Olly ?

That can't be correct.

He's our new 24/7.

You mean Olly is the only comms rep, needs help over the next few weeks
  • Options
    Well is he Lidle or Waitrose !