Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Patrick Bauer has signed! (4 year deal - June 15)

1121314151618»

Comments

• I think we'll seriously miss him and be a big player to replace if he goes in the summer

There's no way he will re-sign if we are in L1 next season. Apart from anything else, I bet his wages are unaffordable at L1 level anyway

If we go up there's a small chance he would stay, I imagine though
  • I think we'll seriously miss him and be a big player to replace if he goes in the summer

There's no way he will re-sign if we are in L1 next season. Apart from anything else, I bet his wages are unaffordable at L1 level anyway

If we go up there's a small chance he would stay, I imagine though
    Exactly this. The only way he could possibly stay is if we are in The Championship and he gets offered a better contract than he has already.
  • He's going to be in the same boat as Aribo next month where he can start talking to clubs abroad - Hell he may even have signed a pre-contract somewhere even before we find out our Division next season
  • Guess it depends how much he likes it here. If he does, he may well hang on to see if we go up.

I personally believe he will go regardless, let's just hope he carries on recent good form for a while yet.
  • He's a great League One centre back, but if we harbour desires to compete in the Championship then the answer isn't Bauer.
    This was proven the last time we were in the league above.
  • PopIcon said:

He's a great League One centre back, but if we harbour desires to compete in the Championship then the answer isn't Bauer.

He's been with us for three years at League One level alone now though

I'd hope that he's learnt enough to be able to be able to learn for the step up
  • PopIcon said:

He's a great League One centre back, but if we harbour desires to compete in the Championship then the answer isn't Bauer.

He's our only CB that could be decent in the Championship though. We can't go up and sign 20 players, so although I doubt he would be in the Championship team of the year, he would be more then good enough to keep.
    I think Pearce could be decent in Championship as well
  • I seem to remember that Bauer said, at the beginning of the season, that he would not be signing a new contract. Not that he doesn't love it here and enjoys his football, or it was money related - but thought that maybe it was time to go back to Germany.
  • cafc-west said:

I seem to remember that Bauer said, at the beginning of the season, that he would not be signing a new contract. Not that he doesn't love it here and enjoys his football, or it was money related - but thought that maybe it was time to go back to Germany.

Going by Bowyer's comments that seemed more talk from his Agent rather than Patrick
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

PopIcon said:

No it wasn’t proven. He was a 22 year old foreign centre back with a few seasons of first team football in Portugal. Our situation in 15/16 didn’t get the best out of any player. Players can improve and most won’t be at their peak when they’re only 22.

He played in a poor side that ended up being relegated.

He worked under three managers that season including Karen Fraeye from the Belgian third tier.

He picked up an injury that kept him out for part of that season.

His only experienced CB partner was a defensive midfielder. Our other CBs at the start of the season were Sarr, another young foreign CB with even less experience, and Lennon, yet another young player.

We then re-signed Roger Johnson in January and loaned in Rhys Williams, two players that weren’t up to it. Rod Fanni later came in and did well but by then it was getting too late to save our season.

He’s now 26, more experienced and in a more settled side (though not a settled club). He’ll be playing at a higher level next season and I think he’ll do well whether he goes to the Championship, back to Germany or another country.
    This, well said.
  • Scoham said:

PopIcon said:

No it wasn’t proven. He was a 22 year old foreign centre back with a few seasons of first team football in Portugal. Our situation in 15/16 didn’t get the best out of any player. Players can improve and most won’t be at their peak when they’re only 22.

He worked under three managers that season including Karen Fraeye from the Belgian third tier.

His only experienced CB partner was a defensive midfielder. Our other CBs at the start of the season were Sarr, another young foreign CB with even less experience, and Lennon, yet another young player.

We then re-signed Roger Johnson in January and loaned in Rhys Williams, two players that weren’t up to it. Rod Fanni later came in and did well but by then it was getting too late to save our season.

He’s now 26, more experienced and in a more settled side (though not a settled club). He’ll be playing at a higher level next season and I think he’ll do well whether he goes to the Championship, back to Germany or another country.
    I still don't think he is good enough to compete in top half of the Championship. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Too many people with rose tinted glasses.
    We have at best four first teamers who are good enough for top six in the Championship.
  • PopIcon said:

Scoham said:

PopIcon said:

I still don't think he is good enough to compete in top half of the Championship. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

We have at best four first teamers who are good enough for top six in the Championship.
    Solly, Taylor, Bauer, Grant, Fosu, Aribo, a fit Vetokele, possibly Clarke and personally I think Sarr with regular starts is at least that level.
    Someone's on the sauce already!

None of our players are currently good enough to be top 6. Taylor and Grant might do ok, Fosu on some of last season's form but he's only had about 4 decent halfs this season. We will never see the Igor from years ago.

The rest are decent League 1 players at best. If we have as many as 7 top 6 champ players we should be smashing the league.
  • PopIcon said:

Scoham said:

PopIcon said:

Not rose tinted glasses - you said compete, by which I assume you meant mid table at best.

Top 6 is another thing completely, and I’d agree with have very few players that are good enough for that. Probably isn’t even as many as four.
  • I’d like to see those four named. I can think of two
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

PopIcon said:

And he had some good performances that season. I thought he was actually one our best players that season, although admittedly the competition was not stiff.
  • He looked like a decent centre back at championship level a few years ago. Anyone who thinks he isn’t championship level must have been watching different games to me.
  • He looked like a decent centre back at championship level a few years ago. Anyone who thinks he isn’t championship level must have been watching different games to me.

We both know he will be moving on by the end of this season if not before.