Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which academy player can be our next Gomez?

I posted this in the Joe gomez thread but it got a bit lost, now that he has gone, we can wish him luck and look forward to the next talent from our great academy. Now i for one minute dont think theyre all going to be Joe gomez quality, we were lucky to have him.

But im interested who can go on to be similar to Joe Gomez or perhaps better from our current crop of youngsters that we still have? i.e. For those in the know, Of our current youngsters, who would you compare them too when thinking of their potential compared to the quality shown and potential reached of the recent departed few: shelvey, jenkinson, poyet and gomez...... how many of them could be first team capable? how many will go on to prem level?

Dimitar Mitov -
Jordan Beeney -

Defenders

Aaron Barnes -
Ayo Obileye
Terell Thomas
Ezri Konsa
sevdar bokciu
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis
Archie Edwards

Midfielders

Oliver Muldoon
George Lapslie
Regan Charles-Cook
Alex Kelly
Samuel Bone

Strikers

Karlan Ahearne-Grant
Mikhail Kennedy
Tobi Sho-Silva
Brandon Hanlan
Josh Umerah
Ademola lookman

Anyone younger thats coming through that is going to be a talent too perhaps?

Comments

• I have personally pinned my hopes on Karlan Ahearne-Grant.. From what little I have seen I have been really impressed.

He has an arrogance that all outstanding strikers seem to have. Hopefully he has a part to play this season
  • Over to you Dick Plumb, and any other supporter that regularly watches the youth teams.
  • edited June 2015
    Muldoon will be the next one to play for the first team. Will hopefully be able to make and break into the 1st team in the next 2 years.
  • Zak Ansah
  • For me , it will be either bone , lapslie or Edwards
  • Not sure Bokciu is still here, he was a 2nd year u18 and there's been nothing to suggest he's been offered a pro deal.
  • Holmes Dennis will be our first team LB in the next 18 months.. Very good player
  • Holmes Dennis will be our first team LB in the next 18 months.. Very good player

I'd go with him or Grant.

I will second this! We better get something for the Foxy the left footed wizard though, can't just let him go
  • Sponsored links:

• Edwards for me
  • Diego Poyet... Oh wait
  • Whoever he is, we better hope he is aged 19 and not 9.
  • From the little that I saw last season I'd say KAG, hope he gets some minutes in the first team this forthcoming season.
  • Haven't seen much at all, but from reports, it looks like we may need to sign some midfielders!
  • Not seem much of the youngsters but one game i did watch Terell Thomas stood out for me.
  • KAG & THD for me. Archie Edwards has stood out for me but not sure how he cope physically for Senior Football.
  • seth plum said:

My knowledge is more limited than other more seasoned watchers, but for what is worth:

Goalkeepers

Dimitar Mitov - World record holder. very decent young keeper.
    Jordan Beeney - Another decent keeper, as usual with this position experience is everything.

Aaron Barnes - Plays in defence, is a bit hyper, fast with good close control, likes to get forward, don't know enough about him defensively.
    Ayo Obileye - Don't know enough to comment.
    Terell Thomas - Like all young players can be inconsistent.
    Ezri Konsa - Impressed me, cultured central defender in the making.
    Sevdar Bokciu - Don't know enough to comment.
    Tareiq Holmes-Dennis - Very competitive and hard working, not the biggest, but maybe more of a midfielder anyway.
    Archie Edwards - Well regarded, looks pretty good, has something of the Solly about him in decision making, and in ability to learn from experience.

Midfielders

Oliver Muldoon - Good free kick taker, has authority about him, needs experience, a couple of seasons ago I had him better than Poyet.
    George Lapslie - Not dissimilar to Muldoon, always involved, unspectacular, a dark horse.
    Regan Charles-Cook - Skilled, sorting out his best position and collaborator seems to be key to his game.
    Alex Kelly - Don't know enough to comment.
    Samuel Bone - Really young, really strong, really eye catching, likes to ping the occasional beauty of a long pass, his height and long legs make him good in the tackle, a lot of promise.

Strikers

Karlan Ahearne-Grant - Has a real chance, skilled in close control, holds his nerve close to goal. Experience needed.
    Mikhail Kennedy - Don't know enough to comment.
    Tobi Sho-Silva - Good player, make or break time coming up for him, has the ingredients.
    Brandon Hanlan - Similar story to Sho-Silva.
    Josh Umerah - Good strong finisher, not afraid to have a go and will miss some, but in my view has a chance, when fully grown he will be a strong forward player.
    Ademola Lookman - Not the biggest, very well regarded, impressive skills, can be inconsistent, on his game he can create a lot.

Of the above I can see any or none of them making it, but if I had to choose eight it would be.

Mitov
    Konsa
    Holmes-Dennis
    Edwards
    Bone
    Aherne-Grant
    Umerah
    Lookman

But they all have promise, and most of them could make a decent living somewhere in the game, but there is a notorious chasm to leap between promising youngster and pro.
    I look forward to corrections and additional comments from those better informed than me.

Thanks Seth..

That's a brilliant and very interesting summary for us less knowledgeable of the youth team.

Am I right in saying that Archie Edwards turned down a move to Manchester United a year or two ago?
  • I was told that it was man citeh he turned down
  • Sponsored links:

• TravHouse said:

seth plum said:

My knowledge is more limited than other more seasoned watchers, but for what is worth:

Goalkeepers

Dimitar Mitov - World record holder. very decent young keeper.
    Jordan Beeney - Another decent keeper, as usual with this position experience is everything.

Aaron Barnes - Plays in defence, is a bit hyper, fast with good close control, likes to get forward, don't know enough about him defensively.
    Ayo Obileye - Don't know enough to comment.
    Terell Thomas - Like all young players can be inconsistent.
    Ezri Konsa - Impressed me, cultured central defender in the making.
    Sevdar Bokciu - Don't know enough to comment.
    Tareiq Holmes-Dennis - Very competitive and hard working, not the biggest, but maybe more of a midfielder anyway.
    Archie Edwards - Well regarded, looks pretty good, has something of the Solly about him in decision making, and in ability to learn from experience.

Midfielders

Oliver Muldoon - Good free kick taker, has authority about him, needs experience, a couple of seasons ago I had him better than Poyet.
    George Lapslie - Not dissimilar to Muldoon, always involved, unspectacular, a dark horse.
    Regan Charles-Cook - Skilled, sorting out his best position and collaborator seems to be key to his game.
    Alex Kelly - Don't know enough to comment.
    Samuel Bone - Really young, really strong, really eye catching, likes to ping the occasional beauty of a long pass, his height and long legs make him good in the tackle, a lot of promise.

Strikers

Karlan Ahearne-Grant - Has a real chance, skilled in close control, holds his nerve close to goal. Experience needed.
    Mikhail Kennedy - Don't know enough to comment.
    Tobi Sho-Silva - Good player, make or break time coming up for him, has the ingredients.
    Brandon Hanlan - Similar story to Sho-Silva.
    Josh Umerah - Good strong finisher, not afraid to have a go and will miss some, but in my view has a chance, when fully grown he will be a strong forward player.
    Ademola Lookman - Not the biggest, very well regarded, impressive skills, can be inconsistent, on his game he can create a lot.

Of the above I can see any or none of them making it, but if I had to choose eight it would be.

Mitov
    Konsa
    Holmes-Dennis
    Edwards
    Bone
    Aherne-Grant
    Umerah
    Lookman

But they all have promise, and most of them could make a decent living somewhere in the game, but there is a notorious chasm to leap between promising youngster and pro.
    I look forward to corrections and additional comments from those better informed than me.

Thanks Seth..

That's a brilliant and very interesting summary for us less knowledgeable of the youth team.

Am I right in saying that Archie Edwards turned down a move to Manchester United a year or two ago?
    I don't know.
    Gossip flies around at youth matches. However Same Bone's dad did tell me all the big clubs were sniffing around Sam, including Manchester United, however there was never any question that Charlton was the best place for him, one because he is relatively local (Kent), and two because of our good work developing young players, Steve Avory has a lot to be thanked for, as Joe Gomez made clear today.
    If you look at the playing achievements of our younger players in recent years it has been excellent in comparison to other clubs, and testament to how much interest there is in our lads is evidenced by the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea successfully snaffling players from our set up.
    One of my hopes is that we sort the infrastructure, and get category one status, if developing youngsters is the way we're going, category one will give us protection, and an even higher profile at this level.
  • cfgs said:

I want the next Richard Rufus, someone to come through and have a huge impact for more than a decade.

I fear those days are over. Solly is the closest and I'm convinced only his knee stopped a relatively big move !
  • Has sho silva not been released?
  • If Tobi Sho Silva is still around its really good of the club (Almost like when we kept Ben Davisson on for an extra couple of months for the same sort of reason) has he had an unlucky year last season getting injured early on with Welling United.

I dont know much about him but if he's still with us, then it must be last chance now
  • Dean Chandler
  • edited June 2015
    Archie Edwards or Konsa based on the youth games after the league season finished.
  • I haven't seen enough of them to make a judgment but my brother who has seen them quite a bit doesn't think any of them are good enough for the PL but thinks THD and KAG might be good enough for the championship.
  • I was told that it was man citeh he turned down

That is correct.
  • Konza, Edwards need to fill out a bit for our level but Hanlan and Umerah just need better fitness to join KAG. Bone a bit early to call but I'd be happy with Mitov as a back-up keeper now. Lookman perhaps in a year. Not sure any others will make it. THD perhaps.