Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Depressed and Angry!

Comments

• ColinTat said:

Bar Bale I can't think of a young defender going from champ to Prem for millions.

Stones went from Barnsley to Everton recently for millions

Was in 2013 for £3m... Was 19 years old and had made 25-appearances for Barnsley
  • Will you blame the club if they had to agree a sell clause if a certain sum is offered for the player, as the only way to get him to sign on for further period of time. Or should they have seen his contract run out and get next to nothing for him. If we what to blame some one then blame the agent.
  • ColinTat said:

Bar Bale I can't think of a young defender going from champ to Prem for millions.

Was in 2013 for £3m... Was 19 years old and had made 25-appearances for Barnsley
    Well... when you look at it that way: we could (possibly) be getting twice that much up front, more from clauses, and he's a player who HAS gone on to get called up for the national team. Frankly 5million+ for a teenage defender seems pretty good business on our end, or at the least the going rate.
  • ColinTat said:

and now in England squad and an Everton regular so either Barnsley got shafted or we have got a good deal for Joe

• edited June 2015
    I think some of the problem is RDs communication style. I think many of us will know from our day jobs that it is important to make people feel they have some input/involvement even when in reality they have little or none. What is a bit strange about RDs approach is through his spokesperson, we are told we have to like or lump things and there seems little desire to explain things. I can’t see how this is a sensible approach in all honesty as Charlton fans have shown through history that we are pretty patient, but we can be a nuisance if pushed. When all is going well, not a problem, but when not.......
  • edited June 2015
    1968 was the season we finished 3rd in the Championship(league 2 then)
    when only two were promoted.
    We beat Derby 2-0 who were champions that season and Palace came and parked the bus and 0-0 was the result(from memory not google)
    So both Tezza and Dickie were young lads like myself and we would dream of the promised land and that team just fell short and then Campbell was sold to Birmingham.
    It's the death by a thousand cuts.

CAFC fans have more Baggage than Joan Collins on her travels.
  • Strange Charlton behaviour

• True supporter my arse...If a player being sold questions your loyalty to the club you've supposedly followed for so long, nobody wants you here. Be angry, be upset, be passionate about the club, but don't get soppy and threaten leave over small football business matters for custard sake! We don't know all the ins and out of anything so far and never will I'm sure...Gomez is going, always was! A shame we couldn't see him for a further year but good luck to him whatever the price is. Excited to see the ins and outs in the next 2 MONTHS (nearly)

Come on you Reds!
  • edited June 2015

ColinTat said:

which was far too low, not just in hindsight but any decent judge of young players would know this. but small clubs do sell cheap.
    CAFC should be selling from a much stronger position than Barnsley were in then.

• Sponsored links:

• I have been a loyal supporter since the 1968 season. I have had two season tickets since the days at Upton Park, and I renewed these tickets for the coming season back in March.
    However this morning I feel extremely depressed about the situation at Charlton.

Over the years I have become used to our promising youngsters being sold and us becoming a feeder club for the big clubs, but selling Joe Gomez for a reported £3.5 million with add ons feels like a real kick in the teeth. In 1996 we sold Lee Bowyer to Leeds for £2.7 million which at the time was a record for a teenager. The fee we got for Lee Boywer in todays money would be somewhere in the region of £9-10 million. For Charlton to sell Joe for roughly the same price that we sold Lee Bowyer for 19 years ago is outrageous.

After losing Diego Poyet last season and Joe Gomez this season, I am now questioning my life long love affair with Charlton.

With no new arrivals and rumours about other players leaving, the coming season is starting to look bleak. At the moment we seem to be looking like a club that is going to be fighting a relegation battle.
    I can honestly say that if I hadn't renewed my two season tickets I very much doubt if I would now bother to renew.

You need to read the recent Valley Gold and Lapsed Season Ticket threads to see that Dickie is not the only one person who is a bit miffed with things at present. You pays your money, you takes your choice, or in the words of our CEO, like it or lump it.

We have always and will be a selling club. Gomez going is no shock, as it will be no shock if Gudmundsson and possibly Cousins follow suit this Summer. I would be and am more concerned of what replacements are coming in. Players that can push us on to the next level, or ones that have us firefighting against relegation?

• Our fans have always had an over fascination with our youth players. How many times do we see people post "youth player A should be given a chance to play over some player who was not home grown". Inevitably, that youth player who supposedly is such a talent is playing two years later in league 2 or non league football. When we do have a youth player that has something special, we are outraged when we don't hold onto them or sell them for some astronomical amount. Let's take a hard dose of reality as it relates to who we are and how it relates to Gomez 1)historically we have always been a mid size club who is competing in the second tier of English football or at best the lower end of the top tier. In modern football, we will always be a selling club. Economically, this is the only way we can survive. 2) Gomez has only played approx 20 league games and is a defender 3) the Under 20 defenders who have been sold for astronomical amounts (Luke Shaw, Phil Jones etc) all have some level of experience in the PL and proved (albeit sometimes over only one season) that they could be successful in the PL), 4) if the numbers being thrown around as guaranteed amounts by Cawley is correct, the transfer could be the highest paid ever for an Under 20 defender from the championship or lower leagues (Gareth Bale and Kyle walker were right around same amount of guaranteed money).

Given all of this, I can accept the thought of the transfer. It may be frustrating at times but that is the price of being a Charlton fan and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love this club and I rather be a fan of middling community based Club with lots of heart than follow some massive premier league team with lots of excitement but no soul.
  • Can we try to be a massive community premier league club with lots of excitement and heart?

Why are these virtues mutually exclusive?
  • I'll see how much we get before I start kicking off about it. Kind of like complaining about dinner before it's arrived.
  • It is true we are a proper club and I wouldn't want us to be anything else - but we can still challenge things and that doesn't make us right, but we should always be a club where fans can make points and be listened to. That is one thing I think is changing for the worse at our club and needlessly so. Sometimes fans can provide valuable input and clubs only have to listen, they don't have to act. they certainly don't have to say we are not interested in what fans think which sometimes is the message that comes out - accurately or not.
  • Chunes said:

I'll see how much we get before I start kicking off about it. Kind of like complaining about dinner before it's arrived.

Last night my wife told me she was making a tofu veggie burger for dinner. Is it safe to complain about dinner before it's arrived in that case?
  • . Is it safe to complain about dinner before it's arrived in that case?

It depends on how you feel about bachelorhood!
  • Have only read the opening post but my immediate thought ... overreaction. Get a grip for gawd sake
  • The whole 'I might not renew my season ticket' thing is nonsense - and I don't actually know anyone who has not renewed genuinely for the reason that we sold a player.

You're telling me that whether you go to Charlton or not every week next season is dependent on whether an 18 year old player is going to be there as well?
  • edited June 2015
    I think we need to remember that the price is determined by how much money the selling club has, not how much the buying club has. Sure Liverpool could afford to pay us £10m, frankly they could afford to pay £40m if they sell Sterling, but at what price would we refuse to sell. As a club I doubt we turn over much more now that when we sold Bowyer - sure a little bit more, but I doubt it's more than three times as much.

They way I look at is if Joe was playing for another club what are the chances that we would bid £3.5m for him? Probably about as likely as we would have bid £2.7m for Bowyer when he left us.

This fails to take into account the fact that the player and his agent (the latter has been mentioned by KM more than once for calling her and demanding that he has a say on the first team selection - lovely man) are going to want the move as it probably makes them both financially secure for the rest of their lives.

If Joe is earning £2k a week with us (and I doubt it's that much) how, on earth, can we value him at £10m? If he's worth £10m we should be paying him £40k a week - the kind of money he might be expecting at a top four club that buys him for that sort of money.

I find it both unrealistic and unfair to expect a player to show loyalty to a club that pays him a fraction of what he could earn somewhere else. For that reason I'm convinced that there would have been some kind of agreement, even if it was only verbally, that he would be allowed to leave for a decent fee if a big club came in for him. Otherwise why would he have signed a contract extension last summer. He could have done what Poyet did and leave himself in total control.

As for deciding not to renew a season ticket because we didn't fleece the buying club enough? Well, surely it's worth a call to the club to ask for a refund - chances are that if it is making you that depressed they would probably give you one!
  • Sponsored links:

• My name is Jeff!
  • Can anyone remind me how the Alan Campbell transfer fee was spent and who we brought in? (That had been the best season we had in a long time and was followed by a long period of rather less success. It's true that selling is what we have always done).
  • edited June 2015
    We are one of one of several football clubs in the Football League that every time they bring through a promicing youngster they are going to have the big clubs sniffing around and they will go for what seems like peanuts. I'm sure fans of Bolton will have same conversation. As will the likes of Forest. All clubs like us can do is make sure these promicing players are tied down to long contracts so if big clubs come in they have to pay £3.5m with add ons instead of a tribunal fee of half a mill with NO add ons what so ever. So we maybe getting £3m more now than we would have done had he been out of contract. There is of course the risk of add ons not kicking in if he does not make the require number of appearances. In an ideal world of course I would want more for Joe now. We just need to get the best deal we can. But it's the way it's going for football league clubs like us and of course it frustrates me big time. It does not just frustrate me for Charlton but for all clubs in the Football League.
  • ...and in his last days as gaffer of the club, Chris Powell had been very vocal on more one occasion how he wanted to get his players' contracts extended. But the takeover was delaying that. I'm sure not least Poyet so we would have been in a possition to get more money for him and he may well have stayed till at least January this year if not the end of the season allowing him to develop here further. But TJ and MS maybe should have done better with the Poyet situation.
  • We've sold our best prospect?

Well fuck a duck!
  • colin1961 said:

I have been a loyal supporter since the 1968 season. I have had two season tickets since the days at Upton Park, and I renewed these tickets for the coming season back in March.
    However this morning I feel extremely depressed about the situation at Charlton.

Over the years I have become used to our promising youngsters being sold and us becoming a feeder club for the big clubs, but selling Joe Gomez for a reported £3.5 million with add ons feels like a real kick in the teeth. In 1996 we sold Lee Bowyer to Leeds for £2.7 million which at the time was a record for a teenager. The fee we got for Lee Boywer in todays money would be somewhere in the region of £9-10 million. For Charlton to sell Joe for roughly the same price that we sold Lee Bowyer for 19 years ago is outrageous.

After losing Diego Poyet last season and Joe Gomez this season, I am now questioning my life long love affair with Charlton.

With no new arrivals and rumours about other players leaving, the coming season is starting to look bleak. At the moment we seem to be looking like a club that is going to be fighting a relegation battle.
    I can honestly say that if I hadn't renewed my two season tickets I very much doubt if I would now bother to renew.

What your failing to notice us that both Poyet and Gomez wanted to leave the club once they saw the money on offer, the deal is for 7 mill with 3.5 paid now and the rest over 12 months plus add one that could rise to 10 mill ,,,,don't know what people expect the club to do when agents get into the ear of their players but at least we got a decent fee this time
    Is this fact or fiction ?

Liverpool can afford 7 million up front.

Why the 2nd 3.5M over the next year?

• edited June 2015

I think Dickie is making a valid point. Yes we can all shrug our shoulders and say whoopie do RD can invest the money in rebuilding the team, perhaps he will. (probably not) But Dickie's response is more emotional than intellectual. Like him I was looking forward to seeing a genuinely talented footballer develop under my very eyes now he will be parked somewhere else and we will be watching far less talented players play for us, probably on loan. I think that is pretty depressing, don't you?

With the greatest of respect it sounds like you were being a bit naive. Joe Gomez has bee n scouted by top clubs for years and as soon as he broke through the first team the end was nigh for his Charlton chapter.
  • Why did you renew your 2015/16 season ticket 5 months early?
    You should have spent that dough on a well-earned vacation.
    If you're Joe Gomez & Liverpool come calling why would you hang around SE9 & SE7. Methinks Reality cheque required.
    Potential £6m makes it a very good deal & if the lad doesn't fulfill promise then we've banked £3.5m.
    I'd be a tad worried if we're still in the same boat personnel wise come July 19.
    Don't panic Mr Mainwaring the Flems will come to the rescue.