Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro U21

jeez, is nobody interested in this?

Thought England were slightly unlucky to lose. But the technical skills of some of the Portuguese showed us up at times. Apparently England are the tournament favourites by money lumped on. Better not to bet, if you haven't properly examined the opposition, I'd say to that.

Sweden- Italy was fun, not least because of the superb support from about 1,000 Swedish fans. Our fans were by contrast hardly noticeable, although I did see a Bexley flag.

Comments

• Options
    How can we concentrate on this until the women's World Cup is over.

And why is it england women or Brazil women rather than just England and Brazil.
  • Options
    The Guardian website is all over the womens world cup. Euro 21, hardly a mention

Enough to drive me to the Daily Fail
  • Options
    It doesn't help that it's on a channel that few people have got. BT sport.

I watched it and i thought we were the better side. Kane had a few chances and Pritchard looked very good when he came on but our record over the last few under 21 tournaments is appalling and unless we beat Italy and Sweden that doesn't look like changing..
  • Options

The Guardian website is all over the womens world cup. Euro 21, hardly a mention

Enough to drive me to the Daily Fail

Nothing can be that bad Prague!
  • Options
    To be fair to England, Portugal U21s haven't lost in 3 years and 8 months with a team Rui Jorge is calling the best he's ever seen at this level.
  • Options
    5 loses in a row in that competition.

Its worth pointing out that although these types of Tournaments are great for experience, we have a few players that are already with the senior squad and will remain there. Out of the squad going, id imagine only a handful will ever represent the senior squad. From England's U21 Euro 2009 squad...only 4 players are currently in the England squad now and only 2 more from the Euro 2007 squad.

Also, the likes of Spain, Holland, France, Russia, Belgium aren't even there.
  • Options

To be fair to England, Portugal U21s haven't lost in 3 years and 8 months with a team Rui Jorge is calling the best he's ever seen at this level.

Pretty sure we beat them 3-1 last year?
  • Options

That was at the U17's, where Patrick Roberts scored a screamer from memory
  • Options
    They interviewed one of the players couple of days ago and said does beating them last year have any bearing on this game....
  • Options

That was at the U17's, where Patrick Roberts scored a screamer from memory
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11230246/England-Under-21-3-Portugal-Under-21-1-Danny-Ings-seizes-chance-to-impress-Gareth-Southgate-ahead-of-Euro-2015.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Portugal also lost to the Czech Republic in March this year.

Other countries just seem to take this competition more seriously than us. Look at Portugal last night, their stand out player for me was William Carvalho. 5 days ago he played for the senior side in their qualifier v Armenia.

Why aren't all of our eligible players made to play, like Sterling, Barkley, Wilshere, Oxlade-chamberlain?
  • Options

5 loses in a row in that competition.

Its worth pointing out that although these types of Tournaments are great for experience, we have a few players that are already with the senior squad and will remain there. Out of the squad going, id imagine only a handful will ever represent the senior squad. From England's U21 Euro 2009 squad...only 4 players are currently in the England squad now and only 2 more from the Euro 2007 squad.

Also, the likes of Spain, Holland, France, Russia, Belgium aren't even there.

Sure, but in Spain's case that's because they were beaten by Serbia in the last minute of the final game. Whoever is there, is there on merit. And there were the usual signs of our technical weaknesses at times last night.

None of the teams here have the best squad allowed. for example Serbia are weakened by having three at the u20 Olympics where they are in the final. Yet they more than matched Germany on Wed. The Czechs ought to have Matej Vydra, but Watford shamefully refused to let him go. every team here has similar stories, read the summary in somewhere like the Guardian.

BTW why do you include Russia in your list of strong teams not there?. They don't deserve to be in that list at all.
  • Options
    I watched it. Thought England were quite frankly awful. Kane had a couple of half chances, that was it. Thought 1-0 flattered England really, Portugal could have had a few more.

Cant remember the name of their no.10 but he was very good indeed.

Heartened by the late cameo of Pritchard. Really expect him to be knocking on the first team door next season at Spurs. Another good youngster coming through, happy days.
  • Options
    England in tournament failure shocker
  • Options
    Wrong team selection - Kane should be partnered by Ings up front.

Wrong system - No need to go 4-2-3-1. Portugal were in a 4-4-2 Diamond. We could have matched up and played two up front. It smacked of choosing the current trendy system and trying to fit players into it.

Wrong Tactics - Redmond & Lingard are not wingers and not likely to provide Kane with service from the flanks. Getting down the line and getting in crosses is not their game. Carroll in the middle of the three is a defensive midfielder, as are Chalobah & Ward-Prowse. So where is the service to Kane coming from? Jenkinson got down the right on occasions but Garbutt was poor on the left. Kane was having to drop deep to create his own shots. Who was there to play passes in behind for him to run onto?

Substitutions- Hughes for Carroll freed up their best player Carvalho, which opened up the midfield and cost us the game. When Ings was finally introduced, we had our best spell with two up front.

Having said all that, our defence isn't good enough for us to win this tournament, especially as Stones is out. Moore, Gibson & Garbutt are all below the required level.

Southgate looked clueless and out of his depth last night, no different to Pearce in the last tournament. On this evidence, I bet Spurs are chuffed Kane is being wasted during the close season.

I hope it improves in the next game, otherwise it will be another early exit.
  • Options
    I understand the rules but I just find it strange that most of the under 21s are actually older than 21.
  • Options

I understand the rules but I just find it strange that most of the under 21s are actually older than 21.

That must win oddest post of the week, and there's some competition out there... :smiley:
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I watched it. Thought England were quite frankly awful. Kane had a couple of half chances, that was it. Thought 1-0 flattered England really, Portugal could have had a few more.

Cant remember the name of their no.10 but he was very good indeed.

Heartened by the late cameo of Pritchard. Really expect him to be knocking on the first team door next season at Spurs. Another good youngster coming through, happy days.

Their keeper made two very good saves and two decent chances were fired straight at him. We had five shots on target to their three. The scrappy goal knocked the stuffing out of England after we had started to get on top, and we were indeed awful for 25 minutes after that, the rest of the time we looked just as likely to score as they did.
  • Options

Thought England were slightly unlucky to lose. But the technical skills of some of the Portuguese showed us up at times. Apparently England are the tournament favourites by money lumped on. Better not to bet, if you haven't properly examined the opposition, I'd say to that.

Sweden- Italy was fun, not least because of the superb support from about 1,000 Swedish fans. Our fans were by contrast hardly noticeable, although I did see a Bexley flag.

Sadly there were two Bexley flags, both were Derby supporters...
  • Options
    Moore was shocking. At one stage turned his back as guy was about to shoot. Hope we are not after him. Shame about Ajayi to Cardiff. Time for Thomas to step up, and Konsa could be as good as Gomez.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Those Bexley Rams flags are always at The Cricket too, They were in Caribbean this winter and in Australia in the last ashes series.
  • Options

Those Bexley Rams flags are always at The Cricket too, They were in Caribbean this winter and in Australia in the last ashes series.
    About tine they were tracked down and sorted out then... :wink:
  • Options
    Southgate's biggest mistake was not picking Cousins
  • Options
    And gomez
  • Options

And gomez

WHO?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Southgate's biggest mistake was not picking Cousins

Bit of an overstatement, but would of liked him to have gone, especially as Forster-Caskey went (he is pants). But certainly wouldn't be a starter.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

And gomez

WHO?

Some Liverpool wonder kid

• Options
    Losing the premiership CB in John Stones was always going to expose Moore and Gibson who are championship CB's on a good day.
  • Options
    Sorry to sound pessimistic and grumpy .. but the 'cream' of our young highly paid, spoilt, over=hyped twitterati players are once again being shown up as really second rate .. what do they learn at the million pound plus academies ? ..
    last whinge .. Southgate, the manager is an FA luvvie, he's a shoo in for the role of senior team manager/coach when Uncle Roy retires
  • Options

Sorry to sound pessimistic and grumpy .. but the 'cream' of our young highly paid, spoilt, over=hyped twitterati players are once again being shown up as really second rate .. what do they learn at the million pound plus academies ? ..
    last whinge .. Southgate, the manager is an FA luvvie, he's a shoo in for the role of senior team manager/coach when Uncle Roy retires

Gary Neville might have something to say about that.

You should also remember that a few of our 'young , spoilt, overhyped' players have accumulated maximum points in qualifying and scored one of the best England goals for years.