Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez rumours (ed. Signed for Liverpool)

Comments

• Options
    It's probably an initial fee of 3.5m so both sky and Olly could claim to be correct
  • Options
    I just hope that when people moan about the un exceptable price for a 32yr old English midfielder and us having to pay over the odds to get him , you remember back to the day that it was fine to expect us to sell a kid with 20 second division games under his belt for a ridiculous amount of money just because he is young and talented ,

This feeds the sky greed
  • Options
    I'm more concerned about the fact that BBC are saying he is going out on loan for a year, probably to Derby!!!
  • Options

It's on the OS.

Meltdown.

• Options
    And some people have got the cheek to say the clubs 'beyond parody'

We've got the strangest fans in football at times and I'm one of them. Great.
  • Options
    Why bexley, he is not our player and a loan back to cafc is no.benefit to Joe gomez or Liverpool so why does it bother people
  • Options
    Yes for the first time in ages move on is appropriate a phrase as good luck Joe
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Why bexley, he is not our player and a loan back to cafc is no.benefit to Joe gomez or Liverpool so why does it bother people

Because they are our rivals and this will most likely make them stronger, I understand that we will pretty much always be a selling club but it worries me that it appears to have been beyond the wit of our negotiators to at least arrange a season long loan back to us?
  • Options
    Good luck to him, I genuinely hope Liverpool realise what a talented player theyve got
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3.5, 6, or 10. We can all argue till the cows come home how much the fee is for Joe.

The word "Undisclosed" is becoming more popular in the world of football and is not a bad thing. Would we like other clubs to know how much money we have got and then suddenly the fee doubles on a new centre half.

Now it's time to see what type of player is being brought into the football club. I'm not a fan of football comparasing transfer market sites but it may be one of the only ways to see if the owner wants to push us on to the next level or fire fighting against relegation.

As Grossman would say "M.Roly, its over to you"
  • Options
    Good luck Joe.
  • Options

Sky Sports News don't normally report the wrong figures tho and its them saying £3.5 M

Charlton wont say a price, no-one associated will say a figure and you have to wonder why

just seen Olly Groome tweet that £3.5M is wrong, how does he know, and why wont he tell us the real price then.

Unfortunately with nothing coming from the club I am starting to believe it could be as little as £3.5M

Fucking hell. Is there anything between your ears paulie?

Sky Sports News don't normally report the wrong figures tho and its them saying £3.5 M

Charlton wont say a price, no-one associated will say a figure and you have to wonder why

just seen Olly Groome tweet that £3.5M is wrong, how does he know, and why wont he tell us the real price then.

Unfortunately with nothing coming from the club I am starting to believe it could be as little as £3.5M

Fucking hell. Is there anything between your ears paulie?
    Sorry but with nothing coming from the club, as fans what are we supposed to believe
    if it really was undisclosed Sky Sports would say that, they always do

but they are not, they are saying it is £3.5M, sky sports would not say that without some proof otherwise they could be in trouble from the club, they are not stupid and will have researched it before putting a price
    I think you've had too many late nights changing nappies.

Can't believe you genuinelly believe this tripe, assume you are fishing for LOLs.

• Options

What is the benefit to Joe Gomez of spending a year in Derby other than the "toughening" experience of spending nights alone in the Derby Marriott, or whatever? That is exactly the sort of experience that drives kids with loads of money to do things they really should not do.
  • Options
    Don't blame Joe or the club, but seeing Joe play so few times for us and with it being so soon after DP leaving last year really makes me dislike the world of modern football.

I hope Roly has a master plan and lets us in on it soon.
  • Options
    Good luck Joe. Personally I think it's a season too early, but I can understand the attraction of training with better team-mates and facilities, and Rodgers does seem to be going for English players at the moment (Milner, Ings maybe Clyne)

Players leave for bigger clubs, that's how it works. Until we are as big as Real Madrid, that's a sad fact of life! We've lost great players in the past, but then we've also signed up and coming players from other clubs, e.g. D Bent, Kinsella, Kiely and I'm sure their fans were gutted to lose them.
  • Options

Good luck Joe. Personally I think it's a season too early, but I can understand the attraction of training with better team-mates and facilities, and Rodgers does seem to be going for English players at the moment (Milner, Ings maybe Clyne)

Players leave for bigger clubs, that's how it works. Until we are as big as Real Madrid, that's a sad fact of life! We've lost great players in the past, but then we've also signed up and coming players from other clubs, e.g. D Bent, Kinsella, Kiely and I'm sure their fans were gutted to lose them.

Not to mention picking up JBG on a free last summer. Imagine how we'd all feel if he walks away next summer on a free - not that I expect RD to allow this to happen of course!
  • Options
    Good luck Joe. You went to a massive club and not a slightly better one so we will remember you well.

Best of luck to you!
  • Options

People happy to say Sky and BBC are lying because Olly Groome works for the club and he should know

sorry but how do we know the club have not told Olly Groome to put it out there that the it was more than £3.5M just to keep fans happy.

Believe who you want, but I am more inclined to agree with people who don't care about trying to keep Charlton fans happy and try to stick to the facts about football

News agencies get things wrong all the time.
    The BBC protected Jimmy Saville for 35 years.

I work in the business and I stopped reading newspapers a while ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Because i'm a Charlton fan and not a Liverpool fan, is the reason that some of us are bothered . The day i'm not bothered is the day i give up going.
    i am really sorry for showing passion for my club and hoping we haven't been screwed again with our young talent.

Good Luck Joe,
    When i was told he was the best of the development squad at Sparrows lane by a dad of a young player 3 years ago,( just 15) that included the likes of Poyet and Cousins,
    It took me 20 seconds to agree when i saw Joe glide over the ground and knew he had the X factor.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Good luck to him, I genuinely hope Liverpool realise what a talented player theyve got don't feck him up.

Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    Prague

You have been around football for too long if you think that

I have explained it over and over, it's about how a player can learn and adjust to a whole squad of new faces, new mgmt, new levels of boredom and homesickness ,

This is done without it being to the detriment of the player and new squad he is joining, once Liverpool actually realise how good he is and how mature he seemingly is for themselves, I reckon Joe Gomez will be in their first team by Christmas

Why should anyone who really wishes Joe the best for his future not think that this is a pivotal part of his football education and see it as a swipe at the negotiations of the old club

He is not our player he is Liverpools and from now on in what charlton want is not relevant
  • Options
    Good luck Joe Gomez.
    Done and said everything right by the club and has acted in a mature and professional manner.
    Disappointed we couldn't/wouldn't persuade him to stay on another year, but hey ho.

At lot on here seem to be hoping/expecting the club to re-invest all the money in squad recruitment. Where are the grounds for such optimism?
    The impression I get is that this transfer is very much the business model in action - groom players via the academy to sell at a tidy profit.
    The squad will be replenished in as economical a fashion as necessary - I don't expect any calculated gambles or "statements of intent".
    Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I still think we are in a better place than where we were 12 months ago.
    As long as we bring in some decent players, and continue to improve , I'm ok with that , I'm more concerned about Ben Roberts wanting out to be honest.

All the best for the future Joe, can't wait too see you pulling on an England shirt in the future, don't forget your roots.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Good luck Joe Gomez, gutted we didn't get to see more of you in a CAFC shirt. No doubt when I am an old man in 15-20 years and your career is coming to a close Charlton Life will be getting very excitable every transfer window about how you are coming to play the last few years of your career where it all began (Parker/Bowyer...).

Anyway he will be a huge success and an England regular so good luck to him. No matter what the fee, Liverpool have a great deal there and I am slightly surprised he has chosen them over others.

Not sure I buy this is a great thing for our academy, sure it doesn't hurt but when we say, look at the likes of Gomez, and Palace and West Ham on our door step have their own examples but more money and better facilities I don't think the JG storey will go that far.

Last 2 points:

1. My ITK contact says the fee was £10M upfront so there you have it and we all need to be VERY angry if RD does not reinvest this amount, and more, in transfer fees in the next 2 weeks :-)

2. Some people on here need to look at some of their posts, cyber bullying is nothing to be proud of.
  • Options
    And your right it's the sort of thing that drives players like Nathan etheridge and Ravel Morrison into doing things like they shouldn't

And the real players who go on to achieve the real highs

Beckham
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Wiltshire

To be the winners that they are, if Joe fails that test he will never be the sort of player we all think he can become
  • Options
    Good luck Joe. Glad our Valley Gold money has once again bought through a good youngster like Shelvey and Jenkinson. Anyone know the total amount of first team games played by these three youth products?
  • Options
    We will probably never know the deal. Move on.
    However operating the degrees of separation principle, as fans saddened at losing such a great player, the best outcome would be goals wins and points next season.
    Guy Luzon has to improve his results record by 18% for the whole of next season and he must have all the resources available (Hint Hint Roland) to enable him to do so.
    If the regime can't deliver that improvement on the pitch, then the fans will be understandably annoyed and cynical...and be staying at home.
  • Options
    The thing is, throughout our history we've generally been a net seller of players, that's how football economics works in the real world when you are making losses. The PL money and a few billionaire owners are the oddity not the norm. Taking a few examples from the 90s

When we sold Robert Lee for 700k we bought Robbo for 75k as a replacement.
    Minto (£775k?) was replaced by Sturgess and Stuart.
    Bowyer (£2.5m?) was replaced by O'Connell (£100k?) and Kinsella (£250k?)