Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Canadian Grand Prix

About as interesting as the Ireland v England game earlier, but just seen a groundhog sitting on the track during lap 39.

Just waiting to see if the little critter is still there on lap 40, 41, 42, 43, 44...

Comments

• Options
    I don't know why I stick with this. Admittedly I've been doing other things, but I honestly haven't seen Hamilton since the start. Watching Vettel was briefly entertaining. If they reveresed the positions from the last race, instead of qualifying, that might force some half decent entertainment.
  • Options
    Tell you what - people constantly say that Murray is the unlucky Brit having Novak in his generation (any other period and he would have more slams). Same for Rosberg with Lewis. Hamilton really is a top sporting talent. He is just so bloody good at racing a car seriously quick.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Not really the same though is it? One could argue (pretty convincingly imho) that Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen and Hamilton are all better drivers. Possibly more too. Rosberg happens to be in the best team which means he gets to challenge for the title. Even ignoring the ones I've named, I'd argue that there are plenty of other drivers I'd rather have in that car than Rosberg.
    You're right that Hamilton is a better driver, but to suggest Rosberg is unlucky is like saying a lottery winner is unlucky because he didn't win on rollover week.
  • Options

Hmmm. Not really the same though is it? One could argue (pretty convincingly imho) that Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen and Hamilton are all better drivers. Possibly more too. Rosberg happens to be in the best team which means he gets to challenge for the title. Even ignoring the ones I've named, I'd argue that there are plenty of other drivers I'd rather have in that car than Rosberg.
    You're right that Hamilton is a better driver, but to suggest Rosberg is unlucky is like saying a lottery winner is unlucky because he didn't win on rollover week.

I guess I mean that he finally gets himself into a dominant car (which not many f1 drivers are blessed with) and who is in the car in the garage next door - none other than the fastest driver of his generation. But you are right - many of the others could probably beat him (though not more than 3 or 4).
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't know why I stick with this. Admittedly I've been doing other things, but I honestly haven't seen Hamilton since the start. Watching Vettel was briefly entertaining. If they reveresed the positions from the last race, instead of qualifying, that might force some half decent entertainment.

I find myself (after 20 odd years) only watching sporadic races now, as the current setup just isn't competitive and exciting. F1 has massive problems at the moment sadly.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    As fuel and brakes would have been concerns in Canada, I couldn’t see how Mercedes would allow their drivers to race. Sounded like they told Rosberg he could push at the end of the race if brakes and fuel were fine, which they were unlikely to be. When asked where he lost the race, Rosberg said in qualifying which says all you need to know really. Vettel may have kept them honest had his qualifying not been a disaster. Feel sorry for Alonso and Button. McLaren and Honda need to sort themselves out. Ok they were never going to win races, but their performance to date has ben embaressing.
  • Options
    Sounded yesterday like they all acknowledged that the issue is with Honda. Diplomatically saying that they can see improvements, but felt like Honda really need to sort it out and quickly!
  • Options
    Article on the BBC F1 page was saying that the Maclaren car is probably the second best car at the moment (after the Merc of course) but that the Honda engine is by far the worst out there (20km/h slower!!)
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Article on the BBC F1 page was saying that the Maclaren car is probably the second best car at the moment (after the Merc of course) but that the Honda engine is by far the worst out there (20km/h slower!!)

The Honda engine was always going to struggle this season, producing a brand new unit after being out for many years would always take time. Thus the decision to hire Alonso at £26m pa was crazy, when it was incredibly unlikely they'd be fighting for a title this season (and that's not just with hindsight)
  • Options

Rizzo said:

The Honda engine was always going to struggle this season, producing a brand new unit after being out for many years would always take time. Thus the decision to hire Alonso at £26m pa was crazy, when it was incredibly unlikely they'd be fighting for a title this season (and that's not just with hindsight)
    Possibly.

However, assuming Honda can afford his salary then it makes sense to have one of the best drivers on board (I think most would agree that Alonso fits into that category) whilst the engine is being developed and improved. He's then in the right place to maximise the car when the engine catches up - which it will as Honda will pour whatever it needs into the development.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Rizzo said:

Possibly.

However, assuming Honda can afford his salary then it makes sense to have one of the best drivers on board (I think most would agree that Alonso fits into that category) whilst the engine is being developed and improved. He's then in the right place to maximise the car when the engine catches up - which it will as Honda will pour whatever it needs into the development.
    Agree. Also you cannot underestimate the feedback that two of the most experienced racing drivers outthere can give back to the team and honda. Presumably as well as power, the engine lacks drivability and therefore having drivers like alonso on board will speed up the improvment process
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Rizzo said:

Possibly.

I'm not sure Alonso is the best development driver (or better than a mid table driver), and £26m is a lot of money to pay for a development driver when the engine is a dog, and years behind its rivals in terms of development

• Options
    It was on the face of it a surprising move – I think more from Alonso’s perspective. But maybe they expected to be much more competitive next season and the window of opportunity to get Alonso had to be acted on. Surprised me more that they took so long to confirm Button. Having said that, both are world champions and it must be hard keeping them happy. It is quite hard to dig up the figures, but Button’s record against team mates is pretty spectacular btw. He scored more points than Hamilton when they were team mates for instance. And despite his age, he is probably the fittest driver on the grid. I think he would be a great 2nd driver for Ferrari next season.