Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Complete non story involving one busy body twonk actually taking the time to complain
  • Options
    This was always bound to happen. Regardless of whether you agree with the ethics of the ad, corporations cannot expect to produce stuff like that and escape some form of censure.
  • Options
    It was a stupid video to make. All round a waste of time.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Complete non story involving one busy body twonk actually taking the time to complain

The idea of the video was to fill the slots for pitch hire of the valley. Tacky, yes but was the aim achieved?
  • Options
    More PR for us
  • Options

It was a stupid video to make. All round a waste of time.

Yeah 100% this, the bird don't even get her kit off ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    PL54 said:

More PR for us

But do you think we will sell even a single extra ticket as a result of this publicity? I suppose it may jog a few memories of the general Premiership-supporting public "Oh yea - I remember them - weren't they in the Premiership for a couple of years about 10 years ago? What league they in now?"
  • Options
    I didn't like it because I thought it was a crap joke, not because I'm a prude or offended.

I also think it's stupid that it's been ordered to be removed. Some people just have too much time on their hands.

Symptomatic of the way we're allowing our culture to be sterilised by a few fanatical prudes. Same goes for the ridiculous fuss being made about Jack Wilshire. 5Live described it as an 'expletive laden chant' the other day - it contained one swear and not a particularly strong one at that. Of course the media drive a lot of this crap because it suits their agenda to whip up a publicity frenzy.
  • Options
    LOL OMG SEX GUISE XD ITS SO FUNI OMFG LOOK AT DEM HAVIN SEX LOL OMG GOTA HIRE THE PITCH NOW

LOL SEX

Seriously, i was more offended by it being shit rather than anything to do with sex.
  • Options

Would be good to know how pitch hire for this summer compared to previous summers.

Then we can find out for sure whether the whole thing was "a waste of time". If nothing else, it got the club some decent exposure and in this instance, that can only be a good thing IMO.

I think the assertion that it was tasteless is a bit overboard.

My son was fortunate enough to play at The valley on Saturday. The guy overseeing it said they had 35 games on the pitch in the last two weeks.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic are sex pests.
  • Options

LOL OMG SEX GUISE XD ITS SO FUNI OMFG LOOK AT DEM HAVIN SEX LOL OMG GOTA HIRE THE PITCH NOW

LOL SEX

Seriously, i was more offended by it being shit rather than anything to do with sex.

Cringe
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

PL54 said:

More PR for us

But do you think we will sell even a single extra ticket as a result of this publicity? I suppose it may jog a few memories of the general Premiership-supporting public "Oh yea - I remember them - weren't they in the Premiership for a couple of years about 10 years ago? What league they in now?"
    Remind me again how that video had anything to do with season ticket sales?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it very clever. A million hits - wow!

Makes us seem a youthful, fun and forward thinking club. Just what we need to encourage more young supporters. It is the lady dragging him into the ground and her on top and no doubt there is a message in there somewhere . Having a young sexy CEO and linking the two?

Getting the story into the National press is a bonus and it is difficult to imagine that anyone was deeply offended by anything other than their own immagination. The offended supporters comments read like they were written by a PR man to get people talking about the article. Looks like an inside job to me.

In a word - genius.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rjh157 said:

I'm new, a Charlton fan of 20 years only, I've been silently watching this site for many years but this business of people slating 'your club' about just getting the Charlton name out there caused my comment. Slate me all you will, I'm expecting it.

The 'sex' video, was a fantastic publicity stunt aimed at males between 20 and 30. Being in that bracket it worked for us. The video went streaming around football clubs in Kent and friendly games between said clubs have been organised, as well as parties! I played a match on it at the beginning of the week and the schedule for the week was fully booked. (I also have a rumour from when I was up there, but it has no real validity and people get angry with rumours on this site, so look out on others haha) I'd say job well done Charlton. It was a fun joke, and I'd love to see a better idea for pitch hire from those of whom are slating the video.

The Bournemouth tweet, the Youtube channel this year, the April fools and this video have all done remarkably well for publicity, so once again well done Charlton!

Interesting take on your experience at the Valley pitch hire.
    I also had the opportunity to go down to the Valley a couple of weeks ago, and perhaps it was because my night was a 'corporate team event night for the insurance industry.' No issue with the football itself, my son who was playing got to the final, and enjoyed the night, so no complaints there.

However , spoke to a couple of event managers that organised the teams.
    Mentioned the video, and amid the 'giggling', one of the event organisers said 'despite that nonsense' we thought it would be a good night out, and football at a venue like this would be popular. As I was invited by my son's partner who is an event manager at a leading Insurance company, who has been to the valley, she was surprised by the 'video' and allied it a 'lads mag' approach.
    Of course these things are hard to quantify, and be exact about who is influenced.
    One measure of success might well be the click counter of the you tube video, but a direct take up response will be hard to quantify, one way or the other. However one of the things that I did notice was no one there from CAFC promoting the club, its facilities, or as an event venue .? Not even a board, or a stand...... amid a host of corporate event managers?. Surely part of this exercise was to maximise the revenue, and other facilities of CAFC, to people , besides the players.

Now I have booked the valley for events, and as an ex chairman of a local amateur team, and football club secretary and manager at several teams over the past years, would I book this event because of the video. Not really, it has to do with cost,\value at the end of a long season. So the Video missed one of it's targets there I am afraid, at least as far as I was concerned. I viewed it as you say a 'stunt'.

One small comment, no ice cold beer on draught, despite the pumps being lit, and ice rolling down the chilled pumps?....... and the food did not arrive 20 minutes after the medals were given out, and some teams had departed, because they had to get home. I know a few people on here that would have moaned about that on a match day?
  • Options
    Nothing to see here just more over the top PC brigade stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

rjh157 said:

I'm new, a Charlton fan of 20 years only, I've been silently watching this site for many years but this business of people slating 'your club' about just getting the Charlton name out there caused my comment. Slate me all you will, I'm expecting it.

The 'sex' video, was a fantastic publicity stunt aimed at males between 20 and 30. Being in that bracket it worked for us. The video went streaming around football clubs in Kent and friendly games between said clubs have been organised, as well as parties! I played a match on it at the beginning of the week and the schedule for the week was fully booked. (I also have a rumour from when I was up there, but it has no real validity and people get angry with rumours on this site, so look out on others haha) I'd say job well done Charlton. It was a fun joke, and I'd love to see a better idea for pitch hire from those of whom are slating the video.

The Bournemouth tweet, the Youtube channel this year, the April fools and this video have all done remarkably well for publicity, so once again well done Charlton!

Interesting take on your experience at the Valley pitch hire.
    I also had the opportunity to go down to the Valley a couple of weeks ago, and perhaps it was because my night was a 'corporate team event night for the insurance industry.' No issue with the football itself, my son who was playing got to the final, and enjoyed the night, so no complaints there.

However , spoke to a couple of event managers that organised the teams.
    Mentioned the video, and amid the 'giggling', one of the event organisers said 'despite that nonsense' we thought it would be a good night out, and football at a venue like this would be popular. As I was invited by my son's partner who is an event manager at a leading Insurance company, who has been to the valley, she was surprised by the 'video' and allied it a 'lads mag' approach.
    Of course these things are hard to quantify, and be exact about who is influenced.
    One measure of success might well be the click counter of the you tube video, but a direct take up response will be hard to quantify, one way or the other. However one of the things that I did notice was no one there from CAFC promoting the club, its facilities, or as an event venue .? Not even a board, or a stand...... amid a host of corporate event managers?. Surely part of this exercise was to maximise the revenue, and other facilities of CAFC, to people , besides the players.

Now I have booked the valley for events, and as an ex chairman of a local amateur team, and football club secretary and manager at several teams over the past years, would I book this event because of the video. Not really, it has to do with cost,\value at the end of a long season. So the Video missed one of it's targets there I am afraid, at least as far as I was concerned. I viewed it as you say a 'stunt'.

One small comment, no ice cold beer on draught, despite the pumps being lit, and ice rolling down the chilled pumps?....... and the food did not arrive 20 minutes after the medals were given out, and some teams had departed, because they had to get home. I know a few people on here that would have moaned about that on a match day?
    While your point is valid, I would think that responsibility for promoting the non-matchday facilities (as opposed to the club itself) now lies with Delaware North, rather than the club, as they get the benefit.

While it is the club that is renting out the pitch, it will almost certainly be paying Delaware North to open the lounge.

• Options
    I don't think any true marketing genius would come up with a campaign which targeted a minority of the club's followers to generate totally insignificant additional revenues, which at the same time was virtually guaranteed to offend a much larger proportion of the same audience.

The likes of say Lynx or FCUK have risqué marketing campaigns because their potential customer base is almost entirely made up of people who are likely to respond positively to them - it doesn't really work when your audience covers the full gamut of the population.
  • Options

While your point is valid, I would think that responsibility for promoting the non-matchday facilities (as opposed to the club itself) now lies with Delaware North, rather than the club, as they get the benefit.

While it is the club that is renting out the pitch, it will almost certainly be paying Delaware North to open the lounge.

Whilst what you say is true, the customer is dealing with Charlton and how the club sub contracts the work will be of no concern. If they are bringing the clubs reputation down they have to go. Late food and warm beer? Pathetic.

The club are missing great opportunities. It is a pity and they need to address this. Every contact is a potential sale - repeat booking, match tickets, facilities, etc etc.

Poor. Could do better.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Redrobo said:

Whilst what you say is true, the customer is dealing with Charlton and how the club sub contracts the work will be of no concern. If they are bringing the clubs reputation down they have to go. Late food and warm beer? Pathetic.

The club are missing great opportunities. It is a pity and they need to address this. Every contact is a potential sale - repeat booking, match tickets, facilities, etc etc.

Poor. Could do better.
    I agree it is the club's problem if the people delivering the catering don't meet the standard required to support the club's event. I think it's less clear that it is the club's responsibility to drive additional revenue for the firm to which it has outsourced the facilities by promoting additional event sales.

Presumably there will be an agreement that the club provides promotion opportunities via club media, as there is with the shop, but over and above that the club is going to prioritise selling its own products, not someone else's, which is what the lounges have effectively become.

The club has a very depleted commercial staff at present. It's just hired a guy to work as a consultant two days a week, presumably to replace Mark Hassan Ali.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    OOOH! Banned from using an advert after the event it was promoting is done and dusted and the pitch has been ripped up and the ad is no longer of any use. Major impact there then - not! Other than reminding people about it of course....
    Typical Daily Fail, describing the footage as offensive and then publishing stills and a link to the footage...
  • Options
    In fairness there was bottled beer in the chilled cabinets, but obviously when you have thirsty guys wanting a pint, and the pumps are on...........?

Of course most people were non CAFC fan's and were impressed by the stadia, most had not visited the Valley before, and as I say they were very impressed.

But as the posters above have stated, when inside the Valley, it becomes perceived as a CAFC issue, 'outsourcing' to Delaware as Airman states is correct, but shall we say I think you miss a trick when you have people down there like this. I do not support a catering company, but a club, but any increased profit that increases our revenue streams, even if the club do not get a profit from the catering, that is up to the club to negotiate for the future. I do not normally associate myself with the financial services sector, but shall we say sporting events were meat and drink to these people. Frankly the list of events they were going to arrange was very impressive, I do not think it would have been a hard sell to capitalise on these events is all I am saying. Perhaps they will?
  • Options

I don't think any true marketing genius would come up with a campaign which targeted a minority of the club's followers to generate totally insignificant additional revenues, which at the same time was virtually guaranteed to offend a much larger proportion of the same audience.

The likes of say Lynx or FCUK have risqué marketing campaigns because their potential customer base is almost entirely made up of people who are likely to respond positively to them - it doesn't really work when your audience covers the full gamut of the population.

But the point is that I don't think it will have stopped those that were already going to hire the pitch from doing so.

Say the percentage of people hiring the pitch was 0.1% and in previous seasons, twenty thousand Addicks fans and local people were interested.

With the release of the video, the audience suddenly totals over a million people. Admittedly not everyone around the country is able to realistically hire the pitch but say a hundred thousand are.

All of a sudden, by increasing your audience via a viral video, you've gone from 20 bookings to 100.

The club weren't aiming to raise the sale percentage conversion. They wanted a bigger audience.