Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

help please - how to get rid of nasty household smell ??

Just wonder if any lifer out there can help me. I've seen a flat that I would like to buy - great price and ticks most, if not all of the boxes.

Only problem is - the current owner is a heavy smoker & most rooms smell of smoke. Any ideas how to best get rid of the smell ??. I'd rather nor completely re-decorate as most of the carpets & wallpaper are in quite good nick & also I'm not one for DIY. I will probably want to do some minor work (put a shower cubicle in and/or an ensuite plus rip out some fitted wardrobes) so will probably be paying someone to do some work to the place but as mentioned I don't want to have to do the whole place otherwise I'd rather not buy it.

has anyone had the same experience & if so what did you have to do - or is it just simply to leave the windows open for a few months ???

Comments

• Options
    Genuinely I would find somewhere else...
  • Options
    An Ionic air purifier should do the trick, have used them extensively in the past to eliminate the tobacco smell in vehicles.
  • Options
    Saw the thread title and assumed the answer would be...divorce!!!

As it turns out, if you love the house, area etc., then I would have thought that adding to your budget and re carpeting / decorating would get rid of the smell. I know you say the carpets are OK but they, more than anything else, will hold that stench.
  • Options
    Only way is to redecorate and re carpet.

Everything else is just masking the smell
  • Options
    Get a dead rat and put it under the floorboards. In a few days you'll be yearning for that smoky smell.
  • Options
    Plug your nostrils with large wads of cotton wool ?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Steam clean everything and bin curtains etc

And don't pay a lot for it
  • Options
    PL54 said:

And don't pay a lot for it

that's the whole issue. I've had an offer accepted on a very nice, clean house which suits me to the ground - apart from the fact its 10 miles away from my kids (divorced dad of 3) . This property is less than a mile away from them ........and £50k cheaper !!!
  • Options
    I would recommend finding a nice young lady who has her own flat (without any smells) that happens to be near your kids.

Oh and preferably a lady who likes nothing better than to cuddle up on the sofa at night watching the TV ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steam clean carpets, get rid of curtains, repaint.

Carpets are the trickiest bit - not expensive to get new carpets throughout (go to an independent rather than Carpet Right), would barely make a dent in the £50k you're saving.
  • Options
    If it is 50k less then add a little on mortgage to budget for replacing all carpets etc?
  • Options
    I heard the story of white vinegar in a saucer taking the smell of nicotine away,not tried it myself though.
  • Options
    Our old smoking room / corridor in work no word of a lie took a good five years with the windows open and a series of refurbs before the smell finally went. No cheap cleaning approach, use a purifier, scrub all walls, ceilings and change carpets.
  • Options
    Clean all surfaces with bicarb.
    Leave all doors and windows open for a month.
    Vax all carpets; better still replace them if you're saving £50k.
  • Options
    i had this issue with my first house. where do you live?

once hes gone the smell will get bareable but get new carpets front room and bedroom and a large tin of white pain for ceilings.

once celings have been painted the rest of it will look shit and yourll have to do the whole lot anyway.

get mates round with beer and curry and lots of brushes. thatt help to change the stink. paint and sweaty farting blokes
  • Options
    As a trick to mask it, put some vanilla essence in water and put it in the microwave. It's only a temporary solution though.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited May 2015
    I rented my place out a few years ago for just over a year and while I was away the tenants were smoking in the house. They were sneaky about it so I didn't know. I only realized it when I moved back in but the smell only lasted a couple of weeks and it went on its own. I suppose it depends on the extent of the smoking as to how long it takes for the smell to go.
  • Options
    Golf

If the house 50k dearer is something that you thought you could afford, then spending a couple of Grand on the furnishings and a grand or so for someone to fit them (mog) surely is the most sensible and only real answer,

In all honesty just think this property is 47 grand cheaper

What your saying Don't make sense
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knock another £10K off the price for the hassle and see if your offer is accepted. Would cover the costs and fate can decide.
  • Options

Knock another £10K off the price for the hassle and see if your offer is accepted. Would cover the costs and fate can decide.

Yes and make sure the vendors know your reason - it might help them decide to quit smoking.
  • Options
    Go to the pub.
  • Options
    Just throw the spanner's shirt in the bin.
  • Options
    Saw the title and thought my mother in law was visiting you.

Throw the mother in law down the well! (Thanks Borat)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    repainting the walls and cleaning the carpets should do the trick. Smoke can be hard to get out of carpets. If not too bad you could: Sprinkle the entire carpet with the baking soda. If you prefer the room to have a pleasant light scent, mix a powdered fragrance like lavender with the baking soda before sprinkling. Let sit overnight (or at least 5 hours). Vacuum carpets. Repeat if necessary
  • Options
    We had the same problem when we moved into our house, we had to rip up the carpets and sugar soap and paint everywhere else, the windows and doors all have to be left wide open and air it out too, took about 2 weeks for us.
  • Options
    Smoking really is quite disgusting.
  • Options
    In my case I find going into the garden to fart helps prevent nasty household smells, mind you I tend to have to put up with my neighbours moving fairly frequently.