Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fastest Roads to Norfolk from se London?

Buying a place up there. Place called Castle Acre, which is West Norfolk.

Anyone know the fastest roads, is a2/m25/a12 Colchester better than bw tunnel/m11/cambridge?

Time of day is important too, avoid Friday rush by going late, or early..

Cheers in advance

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Having had a daughter at UEA I would say it depends where they are digging but West Norfolk is more M11 A11 I would have thought assuming the roads are behaving.

• What Len said.
  • For West Norfolk it has to be M11, A10.
    Like everywhere in England, it's not great on a Friday between about 5 and 9.
  • M11 A11 is the best way to get to all of Norfolk.
    I drive to the east coast every month.
    They have not long finished the A11 dual carriageway all the way to Norwich now so traffic is not as bad as it used to be.
    Wouldn't dream of venturing near the A12.

Normally have a clear run on a Friday by hitting the M25 at 630pm
  • You need to experiment, Razil. Despite the other comments, I think that for west Norfolk you have to give the A10 a chance.
  • If you pick the A12 up from Chelmsford it's ok.

So that's M25,A13,A130,A12,A14 then A140 all the way to Norwich.
  • A10, Razil. I'm begging you.
  • HE'S NOT GOING TO NORWICH.
  • edited May 2015
    Swaffham, is nearest town.

Grade ii listed cottage.

Altho tonight we're closer to Kings Lyn. Got caught in the Friday rush cos delayed leaving til 3pm - bit of a mare around Cambridge

Just past the tea rooms..
  • Envy you...used to have a flint cottage in Great Massingham.....next door.
  • Sponsored links:

• I live in Dereham (a stones throw from Castle acre) and frequently travel from London to Norfolk.
    Quickest route. Blackwall tunnel - north on A12 to Redbrige roundabout. M11 to A11. Bit of A14 to A11 roundabout at Barton Mills take A1065 to Swaffam and Casle acre. Takes about 2 hours.
    Very nice place.
  • Forget the posts A10 Chelmsford and the new Elvedon bypass to Norwich, takes you well out of your way.
  • edited May 2015
  • did well out of the Trust, eh!
  • edited May 2015
    Nope, did ok out of the se10 housing boom. Its the corner house, middle of three abodes.
  • Do that run loads and the a10 is by far the quickest, a few spots where it goes single lane can get narly, but in general it's a good 20 Mins quicker, plus a decent sat nav will get you out of a hole more often than not,

I give up on the amount of times I have sat on the a11 m11 for hrs atleast on the a10 with a decent sat nav you can use numerous country lanes to bypass anything you encounter
  • edited May 2015
    Surely what you actually need is the fastest route from Norfolk back to civilisation. Not the other way round! So, on match day for example you need to know whether Wet Spam are also at home.
  • Am I the only one that saw this thread and thought, marry your cousin?
  • Time to start a Norfolk branch of the Charlton supporters club Raz.?
    You would be surprised how many addicks live in Norfolk.
    Perhaps we could invite K.M. to talk to us and explore the possibility of diverting Valley Express to Norfolk!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
    Its just a holiday place which we'll let out and stay in ourselves a fair bit, not planning on moving.. Soreeeyyy..
  • edited May 2015
    razil said:

Its just a holiday place which we'll let out and stay in ourselves a fair bit, not planning on moving.. Soreeeyyy..

Special Charlton Life rates?

10% discount for trust members?
  • razil said:

Very under used area imo cracking County and so close to London for a short weekend away with the kids, loads to see and do, have some great local fayres and fetes in the little villages plus the bigger places like Ely, Kings Lynn

Got a lot of time for that neck of the woods, and want to go somewhere within an hr and half drive, living on the a10 helps
  • Yes Nth London addick - Norfolk is a very good place to visit and live with an abundance of good beaches, forests and small towns and villages.
    I came to Norwich to work for a company with the intention of staying for a couple of months, and retired from the same company 39 years later.

Many events and village fetes happen during the summer.
    Our market town (Dereham) has a blues festival on July 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th. The town’s pubs clubs and even the railway station platform present blues bands.
    Many people come from various parts of the U.K. to experience a growing music festival.
    Last year’s event was superb.

Look on the internet for Dereham blues festival.
  • edited May 2015
    Norfolk .. one of the very few, if not the only English county which has no motorway .. lovely county, especially the north coast from Hunstanton to Cromer
  • got back from Swaffham area to Welling in less than 2 hours last night :)
  • But did you use the A10?
  • Norfolk .. one of the very few, if not the only English county which has no motorway .. lovely county, especially the north coast from Hunstanton to Cromer

I got 7 out of 9: http://www.sporcle.com/games/mahaneap/english-counties-without-motorways

• Many events and village fetes happen during the summer.
    Our market town (Dereham) has a blues festival on July 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th. The town’s pubs clubs and even the railway station platform present blues bands.

The locals must be chuffed about that.
    It's nice that local bands get a platform to perform on. Do they record as few tracks as well?