Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Falling Crime on transport in London

These seem encouraging but also suprising, given a 2,000 reduction in Met Police Officers since 2010

There were 2,502 fewer offences compared with 2013-14
The rate of crime down is down to seven offences per million passenger journeys
On the London Underground and Docklands Light Railway, crime fell 12.4%
Crime on the bus network fell 5.7%
London Overground saw a reduction of 4.9%
Tramlink services had a 22.7% reduction

Comments

• Most of those are covered by the British Transport Police, not the Met.
  • CCTV is a big part of the reduction. There is hardly a tube or bus left that isn't being filmed with high quality video,
  • I would think the alcohol ban by TFL has helped.
  • I would think the alcohol ban by TFL has helped.

TFL have banned alcohol ?
  • With words like "fell by" and "fewer" also using reduced by so many % is not really telling me what I want to hear.
    Whats wrong with just publishing the actual figures of how many reported crimes there were and of these how many lead to convictions. And leave off the percentages I can work them out myself if I want them. I don't doubt if I looked for 5 minutes I could get all this info but it really gets my goat when statistics are used in this way.
    Being told crime is reduced is like telling me its not raining so hard, you still get wet.
  • edited May 2015
    According to tfl...
    These low levels of crime have been driven by a range of initiatives undertaken by TfL in
    partnership with the police forces in London. TfL’s significant investment in transport policing and commitment to improving safety and security has ensured the system remains a low crime environment. The Right Direction, the Mayor’s three year strategy for improving transport safety and security provides more information on activities to enhance safety and security across the transport system - http://www.london.gov.uk/publication/right-direction.

Also on the tfl site - Possibly the latest figures but an idea of numbers for those of you whose goat is got by percentage falls. Sorry cant seem to tabulate the figures below

Network Q1 2013/14 Q1 2014/15

Crimes Rate Crimes Rate
    Bus 4,777 7.9 4,094 6.8 -14.3%

Underground
    /DLR 2,935 8.7 2,337 6.9 -20.4%
    Overground 250 7.2 249 7.4 -0.4%
    Tramlink 107 13.7 41 5.4 -61.7%

Pan-Modal 8,069 8.2 6,721 6.8 -16.7%

Surprisingly low overground figures for anyone used to catching the last train out of Charing Cross on a regular basis!
  • There has been a big drop off in mobile phone thefts since the most modern ones can be deactivated remotely. The main rail stations are still very muchthe biggest crime hotspots,
  • police can also report kids to Tfl for any crimes or anti social behaviour which normally results in their Zip cards being suspended.
  • CCTV is a big part of the reduction. There is hardly a tube or bus left that isn't being filmed with high quality video,

Yet sex offences rose by 35%
  • Sponsored links:

Which is more to do with it being reported more, which, weirdly, I would say was a good thing.

Big drive on encouraging people to report sex offences, which were very much under reported before.

Which in turn, will help to drive sex offenders off the rail network etc.

• Surprisingly low overground figures for anyone used to catching the last train out of Charing Cross on a regular basis!

I don't think that is classed as overground.
  • The prices continue to be the real crime
  • edited May 2015
    Seven Sisters has a BTP station at its entrance.
    It is now unmanned, so they just leave the entry/exit gates open to prevent confrontation.
    Hey ho, it keeps the figures down.
  • Bet the Police union Federation are livid over these figures. I wonder how quickly they can set up a "pleb" sting operation?
  • 6:25 from cannon street was cancelled tonight as the waited over 30mins for the police to come and remove someone from the train, they never turned up.

I suppose it won't be on the next figures.......
  • Crime might be down because nobody available to report it to. 15 years ago went into my (new £3m) police station to report criminal damage to my car, right by CCTV camera. Was given a number of station 20 miles away and spent 40 minutes waiting for a voice at the other end before giving up. 10k officers lost in last parliament.