Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA arrests- bribery allegations (ed Blatter to resign)

Comments

• Options
    I suspect Blatter's known this was coming for some time now and has made a few deals to keep himself out of the equation. There's no way he's not involved in some capacity even if it is 'only' allowing such blatant corruption to spiral out of control.
  • Options
    I wouldn't ever think that Blatter is going to be held accountable for any of FIFA's wrong doing. But I do find it just a tad strange that he could carry on just as if nothing has happen on his watch.

Most leaders (political or of an organisation) in the western world would fill somewhat tainted and may be a little negligent if an event of this magnitude took place. But then most leaders have not relied votes from corrupt officials to keep them in power.
  • Options

It beggars belief that 9 senior members of FIFA can be arrested and Blatter just brazenly sits there saying 'I'm fine, I wasn't involved'. He's in charge! Even if there was some parallel universe where Blatter wasn't a corrupt little ogre he'd still be responsible for heading up a company that allegedly embezzles, racketeers and launders. The man really doesn't give a shit

I thought FIFA had carried out their own laughable investigation and found all was fine and dandy?

Its great to see the FBI doing something useful rather than seeking the extradition of some poor sap who barely knew he was offending the US of A. I wonder if these FIFA dudes realise that the normal sentence for financial crime is about 360 years!
  • Options

It beggars belief that 9 senior members of FIFA can be arrested and Blatter just brazenly sits there saying 'I'm fine, I wasn't involved'. He's in charge! Even if there was some parallel universe where Blatter wasn't a corrupt little ogre he'd still be responsible for heading up a company that allegedly embezzles, racketeers and launders. The man really doesn't give a shit

I wonder if these FIFA dudes realise that the normal sentence for financial crime is about 360 years!
    They'll be out in 150 if they keep their heads down.
  • Options

I wonder if these FIFA dudes realise that the normal sentence for financial crime is about 360 years!
    They'll be out in 150 if they keep their heads down.
    I don't think it is advisable to keep your head too far down in a US jail....oh the joys they have coming to them!
  • Options
    To put things into perspective, Roman Polanski remains free to wander around Switzerland at his leisure.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Someone cleverer might want to correct me, but I gathered the reason the Americans are behind this is down to their ability to prosecute if the accused has touched on something of their's. An American bank account for instance. Once they have that connection, they're able to reach across to other countries to reel in the villains. It's a terrorist thing that has handily worked out with football. At least that's what I read this morning.

Ultimately, if the Swiss aren't protecting a man's corruption, he's clearly gone too far.

Too busy looking after Nazi gold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just get the feeling that Teflon Blatter has cooperated with the FBI on this already and will therefore come out of this mess looking like he's FIFA's saviour not the shytehawk he really is.
  • Options
    Team America - Putting the "F" back in FIFA....
  • Options
  • Options

I just get the feeling that Teflon Blatter has cooperated with the FBI on this already and will therefore come out of this mess looking like he's FIFA's saviour not the shytehawk he really is.

Surely he can't claim he had no idea it was going on during his watch though? Wouldn't put it past the shitbag though.
  • Options
    Flights to Qatar - booked.

21 night stay in Qatar's 7 star zubarah hotel- with Christmas dinner- booked

Case load of Nivea sun factor 70 -ordered

Copy of 'beat the booze' by Tony Adams - half way through.

Bollox to you Fifa !!!!
  • Options
    It appears USA were not happy, like ourselves, with the 2022 bid. Here's the Wikepedia article relating to their hosting bids:

The United States Soccer Federation submitted a bid[2] with the hope of hosting the 2022 FIFA World Cup. U.S. Soccer first said in February 2007 that it would put forth a bid for the 2018 World Cup.[2] On January 28, 2009, U.S. Soccer announced that it would submit bids for both the 2018 and 2022 Cups.[3] In October 2010 it withdrew from the 2018 bid process to focus on winning the 2022 edition.[4] On 2 December 2010, it was announced that Qatar would instead be the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.[5] However, because of concerns and controversies of Qatar hosting, the United States' bid is considered possible if FIFA chooses to move the 2022 tournament from Qatar.[6]
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

It appears USA were not happy, like ourselves, with the 2022 bid. Here's the Wikepedia article relating to their hosting bids:

The United States Soccer Federation submitted a bid[2] with the hope of hosting the 2022 FIFA World Cup. U.S. Soccer first said in February 2007 that it would put forth a bid for the 2018 World Cup.[2] On January 28, 2009, U.S. Soccer announced that it would submit bids for both the 2018 and 2022 Cups.[3] In October 2010 it withdrew from the 2018 bid process to focus on winning the 2022 edition.[4] On 2 December 2010, it was announced that Qatar would instead be the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.[5] However, because of concerns and controversies of Qatar hosting, the United States' bid is considered possible if FIFA chooses to move the 2022 tournament from Qatar.[6]

I would put money on the 2022 World Cup being held in the good old US of A.
  • Options

Notwithstanding the understandable scepticism here, this is a great day. The shit that will come out in that Federal court - in full view of the world, possibly live on TV- will be enough to make the whole thing collapse. The Swiss will be under enormous pressure now to match the US in the diligence of their own investigation.

Sometimes it's good the US is "the world's policeman"

Sometimes....but not always!
  • Options
    CNN give a very good summary of why the US/FBI are going after FIFA:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/us/fifa-corruption-investigation-why/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Trouble at the circus is nothing to do with the ringmaster ? My guess would be that if the Seppster is as calm today as alleged he has already been singing his heart out to the G-men. In the famous old saying - "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his life". This man without shame will sleep tonight as untroubled as an innocent babe, whilst his former entourage accustom themselves to the wholesome taste of porridge.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

CNN give a very good summary of why the US/FBI are going after FIFA:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/us/fifa-corruption-investigation-why/

Russia having been awarded 2018 clearly has nothing to do with it then.
  • Options
    FIFA is now beginning to resemble the Templars back in the Middle Ages.

The Templars were wrongly accused of breaking laws back then... they endured a seven year trial during which nothing could be confirmed... the trouble is the people were fed up with the Templars and despite being innocent of all charges, the Pope knew that no one would ever trust the Templars again so was forced to disband them.

FIFA are now in that exact position... they've had their secrets for too long and potential rumours / myths have been created from them, it may well be that FIFA are innocent of all the accusations yet because they refuse to become more transparent they'll never shake off the doubt that everyone now has, the only credible outcome for them now is to disband and for a new clearer Footballing body to be created with no links to FIFA
  • Options
    Roughly analogous... but not exactly the same. Warner is just the most high profile of a number of football executives who have already been proven to be as bent as a paperclip. Even the press' beloved 'Arry 'England's Saviour' Redknapp had enough evidence against him to get it to trial. There is most definitely and clearly IS corruption in football, it's not all smoke and mirrors...

But what can be proved is another story entirely. Not all of those arrested are likely to even be charged, the investigators will pick out some targets and squeeze the rest to roll over on them and do a deal I expect.
  • Options
    I wonder when we will get the names of the 14 individuals that are being held.
  • Options

FIFA is now beginning to resemble the Templars back in the Middle Ages.

The Templars were wrongly accused of breaking laws back then... they endured a seven year trial during which nothing could be confirmed... the trouble is the people were fed up with the Templars and despite being innocent of all charges, the Pope knew that no one would ever trust the Templars again so was forced to disband them.

FIFA are now in that exact position... they've had their secrets for too long and potential rumours / myths have been created from them, it may well be that FIFA are innocent of all the accusations yet because they refuse to become more transparent they'll never shake off the doubt that everyone now has, the only credible outcome for them now is to disband and for a new clearer Footballing body to be created with no links to FIFA

Innocent my arse