Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fire in Charlton

Huge plumes of smoke going up?

Comments

• Sainsburys
  • I can see the smoke from the woolwich centre where is it coming from?
  • I'm about 100 yards away, there's stuff exploding, the fire brigade have just arrived
  • Pretty cool how the first thing I thought to do when I saw this was come on here....

Baldy, 100 yards away, any chance of clarifying where/what it is that is on fire?
  • Looks like some of those old industrial units on the lower road near the Thames Barrier.
  • Hope it ain't Maybanks, that'll burn for a while
  • I'm about 100 yards away, there's stuff exploding, the fire brigade have just arrived

Sorry saw you said Sainsburys.

Is this the new one that's being built?
  • London fire say on twitter Lombard Wall.
  • Huskaris said:

I'm about 100 yards away, there's stuff exploding, the fire brigade have just arrived

Sorry saw you said Sainsburys.

Is this the new one that's being built?
    sainsburys depot. I'm near the anchor, it looks like oil fire
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah just heard from building control at my work that the fire is at sainsburys depot and the fire is toxic. 70 firefighters there now.
  • Toxic???
    OMG!
  • Anyone know how trains are doing going through Woolwich?
  • Keep safe baldy. Toxic fire plays havoc with your hair.

Trains are okay they say, apart from signaling faults. But they couldn't really use the fire as an excuse as its not that close to the rail track.
  • Im a firefighter,currently on duty in London,just checked our mobis system,it is indeed the sainsburys depot,unknown number of cylinders involved and possibly people involved as well. Cylinders involved means lots of road closures around the area so best avoid at all costs. My brother is also a firefighter down that way and his station is in attendance.
  • Curb_It said:

Keep safe baldy. Toxic fire plays havoc with your hair.

Trains are okay they say, apart from signaling faults. But they couldn't really use the fire as an excuse as its not that close to the rail track.

And the fact that they weren't running BEFORE the fire today... I still wouldn't be surprised!!!
  • I'm across the river, looks like sainsbury's from here but smoke is subsiding.
  • Curb_It said:

it's a bit late to worry about that.

• Im a firefighter,currently on duty in London,just checked our mobis system,it is indeed the sainsburys depot,unknown number of cylinders involved and possibly people involved as well. Cylinders involved means lots of road closures around the area so best avoid at all costs. My brother is also a firefighter down that way and his station is in attendance.

I hope everyone is safe.

• Huskaris said:

Curb_It said:

And the fact that they weren't running BEFORE the fire today... I still wouldn't be surprised!!!
    This is true and ive just checked twitter. I think ill avoid.

• Sponsored links:

Let's hope he stays safe RVE.
  • Quick update,it was actually 6 lorries by the depot alight,brigade have managed to stop it spreading to the warehouse
  • Seems to be out now, still lots of sirens though.
  • Anchor and hope lane is closed.
  • I haven't watched all this just first few mins. But this was posted on plum people

https://www.facebook.com/brendon.vincesheridan/videos/10153055404664086/
  • Apparently the smoke could be seen as far away as Twickenham!!?