Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

worst miss you have ever seen by a charlton player or against us

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bartlett missed one at West Brom, I was up already cheering it but somehow it went wide.

Think Iwelumo missed a similar one at Coventry.
  • Options
    Lisbie at the Stadium of Light in the last minute, would have made it 3-3 and who knows we could have made the UEFA cup with another game to go. He seemed to be under the crossbar and headed it wide. I saw Carlo vs the Spuds, that was pretty bad particularly as they ran upfield and scored straight after.

HOWEVER both of these pale into insignificance compared to Varneys' pitiful effort v Burnley. How many touches did he take and still not hit the target? No excuses for that, just terrible.
  • Options
    Agree Varney against Burnley was shocking, he was shit player that everyone seemed to love for some reason.
  • Options
    Was Iwelumo still with us when he missed that one for Scotland....or was that after he'd left?
  • Options
    I think he'd left by then.
  • Options
    Garth Crooks v QPR at Selhurst.

Keeper totally out of the picture, proper open goal, on his preferred left foot - rolled it past the post. Met him a couple of years ago at an event and had a good chat until I reminded him of that miss. He moved away from me after that.
  • Options
    Harriott against brentford first game of the season stands out,had to roll it into an empty net and manages to smash the crossbar,wasnt impressed then or now
  • Options

Was Iwelumo still with us when he missed that one for Scotland....or was that after he'd left?

just checked and he had already left us in the summer and the game was October.

he is still a prize bell end for missing it!
  • Options
    Leaburn away at QPR cant remember the year but it was right in front of the away end.
  • Options
    Not Charlton - but any 'miss' thread always brings this up. Always worth a giggle.....what's he done?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYOA4BXIqk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luke Varney v Burnley... It really felt as though his confidence had gone and only felt that by running into the goal with the ball would he score, instead the Burnley defender got back and tackled him

Callum Harriott v Sheffield United / Brentford... Against both he had a bit to do so granted isn't the worst but still, with a bit of composure the results could have been very different

Johann Gudmundsson v Fulham... He was pretty much standing on the goal line yet hit it wide, how?

Modibo Maiga (QPR) v Charlton... He was up against Yohann Thuram (So straight away deserves to be on this list for not scoring against him alone), but hitting it wide after rounding the Goalkeeper!!
  • Options
    Another shout for Robbo at Bolton FA Cup Quarter Final in 99!
  • Options
    Pompey away in the 90s their winger went round our keeper and then rolled the ball past the open goal, from almost right in front. Think it was Paul Hall, or something similar.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Leaburn home to Spurs at Selhurst.

About three yards out, centre of goal, keeper nowhere and he hits the post.

Would have put us two up but they go straight down the other end and equalise,then beat us.

You beat me to it. Think it ended 2-2 though? We were 2-1 up at the time. Leaburn...legend!
  • Options
    Lisbie at Watford 2006/7, maybe not the worst miss in terms of open goal etc but it was one-on-one and the magnitude of the game was enormous.
  • Options
    Dave Mooney at Southend when we won 2-1. I think there was just a defender on the goalline so either side of him and it was in. He hit it at the defender.

Paul Benson at Brighton - 1-1 draw. Free header inside the 6-yard-box with only the keeper to beat. Same result as above.

Rob Hulse away at Wolves. Free header inside the 6-yard-box, put it wide. Would have won 2-1.
  • Options
    I seem to remember a player shooting at a pretty much open goal and it went out for a throw in to the opposition - may have been Ambrose
  • Options
    Bryan Hughes when he played for Birmingham before singing for us. I think we had just scored and he missed an open goal.
  • Options
    Worst one I've seen in recent years attending games (and blanking the Varney one out of memory) is maybe poor old Pritchard against Derby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Agree Varney against Burnley was shocking, he was shit player that everyone seemed to love for some reason.

Scoring against Palace will do that for ya saying as much Fuller can fuck off
  • Options

Shaun Bartlett v Fulham 2002

I remember this, think he had an open goal and tried to pass or something? Robbo at Bolton as well, think I kicked the seat in frustration and felt guilty cos I was all new then.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Pompey away in the 90s their winger went round our keeper and then rolled the ball past the open goal, from almost right in front. Think it was Paul Hall, or something similar.

Was going to post this one but couldn't for the life of me think who it was who missed.

Think someone already mentioned Andy Jones at Oldham on the plastic pitch. That is up there for us, as is Kim Grant at home to Notts County.
  • Options
    I remember Leon Clarke missing an open goal from about two yards when he was playing for Chesterfield against us. That really should have tipped us off about him.

For Charlton it's Harriott against Brentford, partially because it's just classic Callum. He can turn up with a hattrick if he feels like it, but more likely he'll just hit the bar when faced with an open goal.
  • Options
    drewman said:

Shaun Bartlett v Fulham 2002

I remember this, think he had an open goal and tried to pass or something? Robbo at Bolton as well, think I kicked the seat in frustration and felt guilty cos I was all new then.
    Van Der Sar had messed up his clearance. I can't remember who the co-conspirator was in the ensuing passing debacle, but they both deserve the blame.

For me the most painful for some reason was Robinson at Bolton, along with Lisbie at Watford, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned.
  • Options
    Bikey v Blackpool. Wtf??? Igor not much better against whoever it was also in the last minute...
  • Options
    I remember Clive and another one of ours in the six yard box away to Forest with just the keeper to beat and they messed it up. We won 1 0 thanks to Eddie Youds