Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should the Republic of Ireland FA switch to a fall/spring schedule for all comps

To me, there is no logical reason (other than maybe trying to avoid competing with rugby for tv rights) why the Irish FA doesn't comply with UEFA. Would Ireland ever consider switching to a fall/spring schedule (as the other British Isles countries have)?

Comments

• Options
    With one notable exception
    'Spring forward, fall back'
    When trying to remember how the clocks change you cant say 'Spring forward autumn back' as that would be a bit confusing.
  • Options
  • Options

First off its autumn not fall!

Boringly enough, Fall and soccer were both originally in common British usage before being adopted by USA and falling out of favour here.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I go to Ireland quite a lot through my partners family.

I read the reason they have this season is to avoid competing with the English league system.

There are two reasons for this . Many supporters travel over from Ireland for games particularly Celtic , Liverpool and Manchester United.

They also want to allow their promising young players to be able to trial for English clubs during the close season without having an impact on Irish clubs .
  • Options
    Why would a promising young player in Ireland, offered a trial at, say, Man United. Arsenal, Liverpool or Charlton care whether it has an impact on his Irish club?

"Sorry, Mr Wenger, I can't come over for a trial, we've got games against Limerick Hotspur and Craggy Island Albion coming up".
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Why would a promising young player in Ireland, offered a trial at, say, Man United. Arsenal, Liverpool or Charlton care whether it has an impact on his Irish club?

"Sorry, Mr Wenger, I can't come over for a trial, we've got games against Limerick Hotspur and Craggy Island Albion coming up".

Maybe the clubs care? Not everything is about the players.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I read the reason they have this season is to avoid competing with the English league system.

There are two reasons for this . Many supporters travel over from Ireland for games particularly Celtic , Liverpool and Manchester United.

They also want to allow their promising young players to be able to trial for English clubs during the close season without having an impact on Irish clubs .

THIS plus Id say it has a lot to do with the weather as well. Its poor in the summer too like a wet night in stoke every night. cant imagine a December night on the west side of the coutntry
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Richard J said:

THIS plus Id say it has a lot to do with the weather as well. Its poor in the summer too like a wet night in stoke every night. cant imagine a December night on the west side of the coutntry
    This.
    Having played both football & Gaelic over there. I once took a corner that when off for a throw, the same side as I was taking if from. Eat your heart out, Danny Green.

Yeovil away in the rain would happen every other week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Richard J said:

Think the weather was a major factor in the change... i.e. Ireland always used to play their League matches in the same format as the English but you'd see so many postponements because of bad weather I think they decided to change it
  • Options
    It is fall, old English uses fall, you can also use autumn but fall is quite correct.
  • Options

Richard J said:

This.
    Having played both football & Gaelic over there. I once took a corner that when off for a throw, the same side as I was taking if from. Eat your heart out, Danny Green.

To be fair G...most of your corner kicks were like that, regardless of the weather!! :wink:
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Richard J said:

This.

To be fair G...most of your corner kicks were like that, regardless of the weather!! :wink:
    Most of them, would go off in the other side, forgetting to turn the turbo down.
  • Options

Richard J said:

This.

Where did you play Gaelic and who for?? currently in the Sligo senior panel at the moment should be on sky next month vs Roscommon
  • Options

Richard J said:

This.

Where did you play Gaelic and who for?? currently in the Sligo senior panel at the moment should be on sky next month vs Roscommon
    Played for St Annes in London, toured all round Ireland playing, for about 5 years. Played against Enniscore in Sligo, I'm talking about 30 odd years ago, don't think the weather has improved and global warming hasn't hit Connaught yet. Leitrim (cough) is my team, championship over for another year, still living on the team of '94.
  • Options
    1894??
  • Options

Richard J said:

Think the weather was a major factor in the change... i.e. Ireland always used to play their League matches in the same format as the English but you'd see so many postponements because of bad weather I think they decided to change it
    Weather and (to a much lesser extent) the potential to do better in European competition when the opposition are in pre-season.

They still have games postponed due to waterlogged pitches - even in July/August. I think there were a few postponed last weekend
  • Options
    I live in Dublin& I can assure you lot that the weather is no worse than the north of England(and a much prettier place to boot).The reason they play from April to October is to try to increase the number of fans.They have been trying this for about the last fifteen years and its been a total failure.The F.A.I. don't seem to give a monkeys about the local league and are criminally neglecting the infrastructure.Stadiums are allowed to rot and as a result theres a dearth of fans and kids going.
    Shame,cause when I was a kid it was a decent league and often got big crowds for local derbies.
    Our beloved late Ray Treacy even managed Shamrock Rovers for a while.
  • Options
    It's bleedin raining all the time. Hail just after lunch today. Nature, what a kip. Feck it.