Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should UEFA boot Kazakhstan?

Kazakhstan left the Asian federation, and applied to join UEFA about 10 years ago. However, it is not a European nation and brings nothing to the table. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    God you come up with some wierd topics- who the hell cares about Kazakhstan anyway!!
  • Options
    "Borat" does...
  • Options
    Halix said:

God you come up with some wierd topics- who the hell cares about Kazakhstan anyway!!

I'm from Kazakhstan
  • Options
  • Options
    Then they would have to boot out Georgia and Israel
  • Options
    Most bizarre bit of spamming we've had
  • Options

Gone before Bournemouth Addick has woken up : - )
  • Options
    Kazakhstan is a transcontinental country, like Russia, Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan.

Kazakhstan is more in Europe than Turkey is (both a higher percentage of the country and a greater land mass).

Cyprus, Armenia and Israel are all geographically 100% in Asia. None of this matters anyway. Kazakhstan are in UEFA because UEFA want them to be.
  • Options
    Cyprus is in Europe

Kazakhstan is in Asia

Hope this helps
  • Options
    I feel as if I should have definite opinion on this one, but I am struggling, to be honest. I wonder who can name the most famous Kazakhs without googling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only Kazakh I can remember is Chingiz Aitmatov, who wrote a science fiction book I read when I was younger and his name has stayed with me, even though I can't remember much about the book, which was called "the day lasts longer than a hundred years".

I know there's nothing about cups in this post, for which I apologise.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

The only Kazakh I can remember is Chingiz Aitmatov, who wrote a science fiction book I read when I was younger and his name has stayed with me, even though I can't remember much about the book, which was called "the day lasts longer than a hundred years".

I know there's nothing about cups in this post, for which I apologise.

I thought I'd double check and it turns out he was Kyrgyz, so would have been playing in Asia now had he been a live footballer not a dead writer.

Turns out I don't know any famous Kazakhs after all.
  • Options

I feel as if I should have definite opinion on this one, but I am struggling, to be honest. I wonder who can name the most famous Kazakhs without googling.

Mr and Mrs Kazakh ?
  • Options

Mr and Mrs Kazakh ?

Was his first name Stan?
  • Options
    Keeping up with the Kazakhs
  • Options

It was Nathan wasn't it
  • Options

Cyprus is in Europe

Kazakhstan is in Asia

Hope this helps

According to UN Cyprus comes under Asia.
  • Options
    Ackworth?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Cyprus is in Europe

Kazakhstan is in Asia

Hope this helps

According to a map Cyprus is in Asia. It's south and east of Istanbul and is right beside Syria and Lebanon.

Culturally European, geographically Asian.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about Australia being in Asia and Papua New Guinea (which is North of Australia) in Oceania qualifying...
  • Options
    IA said:

MrOneLung said:

Cyprus is in Europe

Kazakhstan is in Asia

Hope this helps

According to a map Cyprus is in Asia. It's south and east of Istanbul and is right beside Syria and Lebanon.

I have just checked a map and I concede the point about Cyprus. I was convinced it was further north west (nearer Greece)

Has global warming caused it to move???
  • Options
    Cannary Islands...Europe or Africa, I'd say Africa even though it's part of Spain.
  • Options
    Africa
  • Options

Cannary Islands...Europe or Africa, I'd say Africa even though it's part of Spain.

Europe since it technically belongs as part of Spain and I've never had my passport stamped when I've been out there
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited May 2015

Europe since it technically belongs as part of Spain and I've never had my passport stamped when I've been out there
    The same is true for Ceuta and Melilla, which are both obviously on the African continent (Spain has a land border with Morocco).

France (the country, not overseas territories), and therefore the European Union, actually borders Brazil via French Guiana/Guyane. Guyane has exactly the same status within France as Corsica or Paris, they vote in parliamentary elections etc, and Guyane appears on Euro banknotes. If I flew to Cayenne direct from Paris (or anywhere in the EU), I wouldn't have my passport stamped, but I would definitely say that I was in South America.

The Canaries are politically European (within Spain and European Union). Canarians are culturally European. However, the Canary Islands themselves are further south than pretty much every major settlement in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. Geographically (ie when you take political borders out of the equation), the Canaries are islands off the coast of Africa, and therefore part of Africa.
  • Options

IA said:

MrOneLung said:

Cyprus is in Europe

Kazakhstan is in Asia

Hope this helps

I have just checked a map and I concede the point about Cyprus. I was convinced it was further north west (nearer Greece)

Has global warming caused it to move???
    You might have mixed it up with Crete, which is in Europe.

Or made the reasonable assumption that as it's culturally European, part of the EU and a well known "European"/Mediterranean holiday destination that it must be in Europe.

I would say lots of Greek islands are in Asia, eg Rhodes and Lesbos
  • Options
    IA said:

The same is true for Ceuta and Melilla, which are both obviously on the African continent (Spain has a land border with Morocco).

France (the country, not overseas territories), and therefore the European Union, actually borders Brazil via French Guiana/Guyane. Guyane has exactly the same status within France as Corsica or Paris, they vote in parliamentary elections etc, and Guyane appears on Euro banknotes. If I flew to Cayenne direct from Paris (or anywhere in the EU), I wouldn't have my passport stamped, but I would definitely say that I was in South America.

That's something I have learned today, thanks IA.
  • Options

IA said:

That's something I have learned today, thanks IA.
    You can bring it up next time someone mentions Kazakhstan down the pub.