Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

T20 Franchise Cricket

Comments

• McBobbin said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

I will go to the Oval for Surrey v Kent or Surrey v Essex on a Friday evening. Loads of away fans, proper atmosphere, traditional rivalries. Not interested in South London v Leeds.

If the cricket powers pursue this new tournament, in a chase for money, they will come unstuck.

I went to see Surrey play Middlesex with a load of work colleagues. I support Essex. I mean, it was fun and the cricket was good, but I wasn't getting excited. Most there probably didn't care that much about the cricket. This isn't right
    "I'm only here for the beer" sums up Friday evening matches...

• T20 tournament 'future-proofs' county game - ECB chief tells BBC's Dan Roan
    English cricket's new eight-team, city-based Twenty20 tournament moved a step closer on Monday as further details were revealed.

The newly created tournament is proposed to begin in 2020.

Tom Harrison, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board, said it can rival the Indian Premier League and is "not a gamble" for the counties.

"What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket," Harrison told BBC Sport.

"I don't think it's so much a gamble, I think it's about looking into the future and saying what do we want our business and our game to look like."

A referendum is expected to be dispatched on Tuesday inviting stakeholders to sanction a tournament including eight teams, rather than the 18 first-class counties.

What is changing?

The ECB presented a detailed overview of its proposals for a new Twenty20 competition to its 41 members on Monday, which included:

Eight new teams playing 36 games over a 38-day summer window, with four home games per team
    All games televised with significant free to air exposure
    No scheduling overlap with the NatWest T20 Blast
    IPL style play-off system to give more incentive for finishing higher up the league table
    A players' draft, with squads of 15 including three overseas players
    Counties guaranteed £1.3m
  • edited March 2017
    ok 8 teams - who are they?
    If its based around Test match venues then it will be...

North London
    South London
    Manchester
    Leeds
    Durham (Newcastle)
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Southampton

So, what happens to Cardiff ? or because of their financial mismanagement, maybe Durham wont get a slot?
  • Can't get excited about this. Guess I'd go along to a London game after work for some beers

Depends if any Essex players get a game.

I'm interested in the TV plans. Loved it when the IPL was on ITV
  • I'm not saying anything.

Actually just one thing to add. Unless their policy changes before the competition the south London team won't play at the Oval as Surrey won't allow it.

Actually just one thing to add. Unless their policy changes before the competition the south London team won't play at the Oval as Surrey won't allow it.

That doesn't leave much choice for other London venues unless they can use the Olympic Stadium?

I'm unenthused for the concept and how it will affect counties like Kent, though glad there will be some terrestrial coverage

Hope Surrey follow this through and don't change their policy. Would be a right headache for the ECB.

Although I can then see them only having one London team with Cardiff getting the other slot.

Whatever it is though... it wont be right, or feel right. The structure needs to change, but in a way that it incorporates not excludes others.
  • CAFC Luke said:

I'm not saying anything.

Hope Surrey follow this through and don't change their policy. Would be a right headache for the ECB.

Although I can then see them only having one London team with Cardiff getting the other slot.

Whatever it is though... it wont be right, or feel right. The structure needs to change, but in a way that it incorporates not excludes others.
    Bang on Lukey boy. As I've said on this thread many times. I agree with change but this isn't the way to go about it. We're copying other counties but completely ignoring the aspects that made theirs successful.

I hope Surrey have the bollocks to tell the ECB where to stuff it.

I don't want the competition to fail but I expect it to either be completely reworked or cancelled within 3 years.
  • "no scheduling overlap with NatWest T20 Blast" so the new league will run as well as the Blast?
    If it's test grounds only what would happen should one lose its test status (say Headingley) would "Team Leeds" relocate?
  • "no scheduling overlap with NatWest T20 Blast" so the new league will run as well as the Blast?
    If it's test grounds only what would happen should one lose its test status (say Headingley) would "Team Leeds" relocate?

That seems like an awful of T20 cricket in the summer
  • Sponsored links:

• Good new collective noun for T20, an 'awful'

I wasn't aware of that Canters. I knew that Surrey voted against the concept but didn't know they had said they wont play at The Oval - that's a shame, coz if its only Lords being part of the comp then it will be full to the rafters every game, and getting tickets will be a nightmare with it just being turned into a corporate piss-up fest.

I wasn't aware of that Canters. I knew that Surrey voted against the concept but didn't know they had said they wont play at The Oval - that's a shame, coz if its only Lords being part of the comp then it will be full to the rafters every game, and getting tickets will be a nightmare with it just being turned into a corporate piss-up fest.
    I'm some ways it is a shame. But I admire Surrey for sticking to their guns. Basically saying 'only Surrey play home games at the oval'. Especially with the way the vote was rigged so many counties who wanted to vote against weren't allowed and the rest were bribed. Any county who has received an ECB bailout has no choice but to vote for the changes.

• Said in the paper today that Kent, Essex, Surrey and Sussex are likely to approve this.

Still it will be a chance to see all the big international stars playing in England.

Except the likes of Root, Stokes, Mills etc as there WILL BE ENGLAND TEST MATCHES PLAYED AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Test matches and 50 over county competition at the same time. Is Mme Meire now at the ecb?

They will need more cricketers so club players make hay!

Also they aim to increase involvement by pushing t20 but there is very limited over 18 20 over stuff in place yet.
  • Of course the ECBs leading poster boy has to say that. I've read that whilst players hate the current format and have been calling for change many don't think this was the right way to get it.
  • 8 matches out of 38 to be on terrestrial TV is not making it more available to the masses, cheap tickets to guarantee full grounds will do more if only 8 are shown on free to air, although Surrey is very reasonable already, only £1 for my son and £18 for me I think the last couple of years
  • 8 matches out of 38 to be on terrestrial TV is not making it more available to the masses, cheap tickets to guarantee full grounds will do more if only 8 are shown on free to air, although Surrey is very reasonable already, only £1 for my son and £18 for me I think the last couple of years
    The issue is its not like the grounds weren't selling out for T20 anyway. The grounds I have been to (all in the south) Oval, Lords, Beckenham/Canterbury, Hove, Chelmsford are all packed out every T20 game and these clubs already make good money from them. Attendances at T20 was never the issue.
  • But they were just shitty county players. Wait till we can see the worlds best, playing amongst themselves and getting better. Oh, apart from the England players who are in the test squad at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017

Of course the ECBs leading poster boy has to say that. I've read that whilst players hate the current format and have been calling for change many don't think this was the right way to get it.
    But i think you'll find that most of the upper echelon players were in favour of it.
    And the argument about England players will be playing Test matches is that most of the England T20 team dont play in the tests recently anyway - im thinking of the likes of Roy,Hales,Buttler,Mills,Willey,Jordan,Morgan. Its only the likes of Root and Stokes hat will be relevant.
    It just seems like its got to any excuse to diss it.
    Why not embrace change and look at it as a way to improve England and see more world class players on our shores? - bloody hell if you dont want that then theres got to be something wrong with you- or would you prefer to watch Stephens bowling to Cobb than Rabada to Kohli ??? Bloody hell, no wonder youre Charlton fans !
  • I don't think it matters what we think of this it's going to happen.

Would like as much free to air as possible. If this tournament allows 5 day tests back into free to air, I would be all for it.

I'm sure it won't and that's a massive shame.

A full 5 test series on free to air will remain the pinnacle of sport for me.

• Dammit I wasn't gonna get drawn into this debate again. I guess this was more attractive than essay writing.
  • edited March 2017
    Further to my previous post on the topic I have one final point.

I have just read that the ECB have confirmed that championship cricket will run at the same time of this. So could it's will be robbed of their best players for championship matchs as they will be playing games for their franchise team on the same day.

Not only is that a compete shambles it it will significantly dilute the quality of the championship game. And make the title/promotion/relegation laughable.

Not doing much to help the test side which is, arguably, the format we are struggling most at currently.
  • You can always rely on the ECB to come up with the worst possible solution!

They've been blinded by the success of IPL and Big Bash and have enviously plonked down a superficial copy of those leagues as their blueprint. There's no consideration for the different situation in cricket over here. It's like the terrible golfer who sees a bloke wearing yellow Rupert Bear trousers hit a hole in one, so he buys himself a pair the same trousers to improve his game!
  • Let's be honest, it's all about money. Raising more money from sponsors and TV so the top players get paid a lot more. It has nothing to do with the cricket paying public. Each team will play 4 home games so a max of 8 in south east England. This compares to significantly more (sorry not sure of number) of packed crowds for existing T20 which also allows people of Chelmsford, Canterbury, Hove, Beckenham and Tunbridge Wells to go. Still we can't have all these oiks going can we? It has to be convenient the City based.
    Certainly cricket needs a revamp but I feel this is a big step backward.
  • Couldn't agree more with Canters' view on this.
  • Canters, I'll respond to your post once I've got a spare week to read it. :)
  • Agree completely with Canters

Proper f*ck up by the ECB