Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope

Well thats two promotions the young man has been involved in.
Give it your best shot fella, you can forge a fine career. With us hopefully.

Comments

• Options
    Stephen Henderson was only 27 in May.
    But every game he does exercises when the ball is down the other end to keep himself mobile.
    If Pope is number 2 next season he would get at least 10 games as cover;
    Would this work for him or CAFC ?
  • Options
    Think he will be a fine keeper for us when he finally breaks into side and gets a good run of games. Just needs to find some comfadence in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    If he does end up with another loan spell, I will certainly be backing that team to go up.
    He seems like a lucky omen hopefully with us as well. Three promotions on the spin!
  • Options
    He played for York in the 2013-2014 they lost in the play off's so he did not get promoted that season.
  • Options
    I think a good idea would be a season long loan to Bury, now in Division 1, so a step up for him and see how it goes in a higher league
  • Options
    I agree with all this, but both Ketts and our own Dick Plumb who imo appear to have the inside track, have been saying recently he is likely to move on.

Very sad, as in my view it would be one year loan to a L1 club and then sell Henderson and insert Pope with a new 4 year contract. From what I gather Ben Roberts really rates this Hungarian (?) keeper Dmitrovic, hence we can afford to let Pope go. We do seem to have a lot of keepers though.
  • Options

I agree with all this, but both Ketts and our own Dick Plumb who imo appear to have the inside track, have been saying recently he is likely to move on.

Very sad, as in my view it would be one year loan to a L1 club and then sell Henderson and insert Pope with a new 4 year contract. From what I gather Ben Roberts really rates this Hungarian (?) keeper Dmitrovic, hence we can afford to let Pope go. We do seem to have a lot of keepers though.

Quite surprised that Dmitrovic was replaced on the bench by Etheridge for the final few games... Especially as the latter has been released
  • Options
    If the club wanted him back for next season I'm sure Nick would know by now, he doesn't know what is happening, spoke to his partner last week.
  • Options

Quite surprised that Dmitrovic was replaced on the bench by Etheridge for the final few games... Especially as the latter has been released
    injured
  • Options
    Why does Nick Pope still seem like a scared little lad in the playground to me? The look seems to work at L2 level for some reason, but the big boys in the Champ don't take him seriously...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still got to remember most keepers mature later... This is Stephen Hendersons first real first team gig other than a few loans out! And he's 26! Pope is still developing and will be a very good keeper! Certainly Ben roberts and the other coaches think so... tHe club have invested a lot in him they're not just gonna give up now!
  • Options
    Leftbehind knows him . He will give you the inside track.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Letting him go will be silliest decision of the summer.

At least I hope we'll be clever enough to put a buy-back clause or first refusal on any deal...
  • Options
    I can't see how it can be that difficult for those in charge, you send him back to Bury for another year on loan and then assess afterwards. As said, letting him go would be extremely stupid as he's been developing each year. I know Ben Roberts rates him highly so hopefully he has an input
  • Options
    I think it is more to do with what Nick Pope wants. He doesn't want to come back to Charlton and sit on the bench. From what i was told he feels he hasn't been given a proper chance and was peeved how quickly he was dropped.
  • Options
    I don't think Nick Pope has been well 'managed' in terms of giving his career at Charlton Athletic due attention.
    I think he is a good player, easily suited to back up for Henderson, perhaps even more. However we are well stocked with goalkeepers at the moment, and Nick Pope is on a long contract.
    If Nick Pope goes it is likely to be for a fee, and that fee would probably cover all the player costs since we signed him from Bury Town, plus a bit on top I would suggest.
    In terms of day to day business the signing of Nick Pope will turn out to be a success of one sort or another.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

He played for York in the 2013-2014 they lost in the play off's so he did not get promoted that season.

Of course. I need to pay more attention to detail.
  • Options
    I can't see us getting a fee, in this close season. I can't see a club above League 1, coming in for him and not many of them could afford to pay a fee.
  • Options
    I think he's been a victim of circumstances as much as anything else. At his age he was always unlikely to get the Charlton gig after Hamer went. Now Henderson looks to be a very obvious first choice. The loans have worked out well for Nick but if he's not happy to come back and understudy Hendeson and wait for his chance then so be it. I don't think he's any right to think he's been hard done by. When the chance did come I think it was a little too early and in all honesty he didn't grab it and make it impossible for him to be dropped.

If he leaves I think he'll forge a decent career and probably work his way back to at least the championship. I hope he decides to return and battle it out.
  • Options
    He seems to be more at home in the lower leagues. He looked like a rabbit in headlights when he played for us. His mistakes have cost us goals and imo if he makes a mistake it properly rattles him.

He has shown in flashes that there is a good keeper in there, but at the moment he is miles behind Henderson.

He's very young in goalkeeping terms and his advisors should point out that if he is patient he could have a long career in the higher leagues.

If he won't wait then I'd move him on asap. There will be takers. If Roberts likes Mitov then we potentially have an immediate replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i don't think he's good enough for us, not a kid anymore.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

i don't think he's good enough for us, not a kid anymore.

in terms of goalkeepers he is very much still a kid! most keepers dont get their first real first team go until at least 24 and have a few loans before that! As I said above look at Hendo... he is nearly 27 and is still young for a keeper this is his first real first team gig!

• Options
    Given that a loanee who struggled to catch a ball for us was 1st choice at Liege, a loan to them may be good for both parties.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I think it is more to do with what Nick Pope wants. He doesn't want to come back to Charlton and sit on the bench. From what i was told he feels he hasn't been given a proper chance and was peeved how quickly he was dropped.

Dropped for Etheridge at that.
  • Options
    I promise I'm not a small minded little Englander, but if there isn't too much between them I would so much rather keep Popey and develop him into our number one keeper when Hendo moves on, rather than Dmitrovic. That might be quite a while but Hendo's injury record is a bit worrying and I think Pope would get some chances to shine every season, including one or two cup games before our inevitable early exit.
  • Options
    Bury have signed Cristian Walton from Brighton on loan for the season, does this mean Popey will be here for the season?
  • Options

Bury have signed Cristian Walton from Brighton on loan for the season, does this mean Popey will be here for the season?

no, just not at Bury I'd imagine

• Options
    From the way luzon spoke about him and the fact that he's been picked ahead of Dimi I would guess he's going to be our second choice!
  • Options
    I have no problem with that. I think he is still learning but will become an excellent keeper.
  • Options
    well we are in danger of having too many young keepers we don't know what to do with. If Pope is no2, Dmitrovic is entitled to be pissed off. He never asked to be yanked out of Ujpest in the first place, and has just returned from saving Serbia from complete humiliation in the Euro U21s.

And then there is Mitov....