Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So where are we all now with Luzon?

Can only speak for myself, was very very cyncial when he completed the speed-interview process successfully. Thought we'd just been dumped with a 'Roland yes man' who was here with the remit of what was not primarily best for Charlton, but was what was best for Starprix.

That may well be the case to a certain extent (a couple of team selections left me baffled), and there may well have been a bounce element with the players more due to Peeters no longer being in charge, but i've really taken to the guy, which if i'm honest i really didn't think i would.

Not only has he not been the disaster i feared, but he also seems to be a nice guy who has also taken to our club.

May well go wrong next season, but i'm more than happy at this point knowing he'll be in charge for the start of the season and more than willing to give him time if we get off to a poor start.

Do others feel the same / completely different ?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I would say that we are in the same situation that we found ourselves in last season. Riga came in, saved us from relegation and became a likeable guy. However this summer we know that Luzon will be here to carry on his work, unlike Riga who was given the heave ho.

So far so good, but next season will prove his worth what with him having a whole summer to make changes/bring in his own players etc.
  • Options
    I like him as well and he had us playing some good football during our winning run. With the right players coming in I think he will do well. I hope he gets the backing from the board. When he first came in I didn't think he was right for us. He took a lot of stick at the beginning, even being blamed by some for the Watford debacle even though he wasn't even in the country on the day of the match. Fans slagging him off against Rotherham also didn't help matters.

Good luck to him, he stuck with it and got the results. I think he has proved he can do the job.
  • Options
    Surely time we said 'Guy Luzon's red army' instead of 'We are Charlton's red army'
  • Options
    I still think we did get a "Roland yes man", and it wasn't an open interview process. It's just that this one worked out well.

To be honest, managers hasnt really been where old Roly has fallen down. I liked Riga. Peeters honestly wasnt terrible (we all liked him at the start) and now the crouching Israeli has done well.

Basically I like him, seems the players like him, and he definitely likes himself.

Lets hope the recruitment over the summer means that we keep the same manager for a whole season (imagine that) due to having the quality in the squad to keep us out of any bad runs and near or in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Some of the football we've played under Luzon rates up there with the best I've seen for many a season, on the other hand there has been some utter dreck served up and some seriously tedious, pedestrian games to sit through. Overall he seems a man who DOES know what he's doing after all, certainly he's competent enough tactically if nothing that makes me think he's a mastermind type, he's proven more than once that he can fire rockets up the appropriate backsides at half time but then he's needed to, which must be laid at least in part at his door in the first place.

I've still not taken to him as a person the way I did to Powell and Riga but I admire his iron clad self-belief and he's not arrogant - he's given credit to his staff and the players where appropriate and not once did he shove the poor initial reception back down the fans' throats as tempting as that must have been during that string of 3-0 wins.

Would be disappointed to see him go, and not just because it would mean yet another change. If he gets Roly's backing and trust then he could very well be the man to see us promoted - though I suspect it will be via the play-offs if ever.
  • Options

Surely time we said 'Guy Luzon's red army' instead of 'We are Charlton's red army'

Especially seeing as that isn't even a song
  • Options
    Guys CV is pretty decent if you ask me. If we were under a 'normal' ownership and appointed Standard Liege's manager, it would certainly have been a shock appointment.

He seems to me like a likeable young bloke with positive ideas about how he expects his teams to play. You can tell not only from the way we've played a few times under him, but also from his interviews.

I really hope RD/KM back him with some players that he feels would benefit the side. Dont think there's a manager currently out there available (within our catchment) that i would prefer than Luzon.
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with sentiments so far; none of us liked the way he was appointed but the slating he got early on was clearly wrong. Hopefully the bold attacking football that brought such success after Christmas will prove the norm. I recall two Belgian contributors both suggesting he's more a Keegan-like motivator than a genuine tactician; time will tell on that one. Certainly he's show more than once already that he can influence a game at HT or through positive substitutions so that bodes well. Also, the players seem to respond well to him. Right now, quite happy to have him in charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He kept us up.

The day he was appointed as manager I'm sure that if you asked charlton fans at that point where do you think we will finish the season, answer would have been - relegation.

He done the job that was most important. Also pushed us up the league a bit to a more respectable position.

We played more positive and attractive football in patches.

I quote David Brent "judge me by my results"

Ps iam not guy Luzon.
  • Options
    Would be interesting to see if Guy is allowed an input into transfer dealings like Peeters supposedly did (with Vetokele for instance).
  • Options
    I like him, he can stay as far as I'm concerned
  • Options
    I believe we are in a good place with him. I like his attitude and enjoy his preferred style of play.

It all now depends on Roland. If he gives the right support to Guy, we could have an interesting season in 2015/2016.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    When i finally realized what Luzon plan was: to play attacking football when ever possible, he won me over.
    Now the problem is; when we have a squad of fit and raring to go players with an onus on attacking, fine. but towards the end of last season, both Igor and Tony began to look a bit heavy legged. Tony because the lack of a pre season after the initial adrenalin boost at the beginning. With Igor is it an injury or just lost of form ?
    we all know what we need up front and the ball playing mid fielder,
    But i hope Guy explains that the successful teams have more pace than us,
    No more slow players. I love Tony magic feet, but the rest must have pace.

The bottom line is Guy is at the mercy of the owner,

Yet again we are back at the same cross roads.

With the West ham Olympic stadium due to open with cheap tickets,
    we can't afford not to be ambitious because i have heard not only our fair weather fans say their considering watching premier football across the river but a very long standing fan us well.
    Should they be shot for treason ?
    Or does our owner need to up his game.

• Options
    Unproven
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I was and always will be very unhappy with the whole appointment process. That leaves a bad stain in my mind, even though he has done well since.

The rumours about him seem true - he is a yes man (to Roland), and he rotates his squad (that may have gone un-noticed by some, but he definitely did it toward season end), and we don't know how much clout he has with what players stay.

I felt he was lucky in that he was "allowed" to sign squad back-up (Diarra, Johnson, Eagles) that Peters was apparently refused, had a resurgent Bulot, a fit-again Henderson, and an injured Jackson (which allowed Cousins to move central).

If he signs good players this summer, hangs on to the good ones we have (Johan, Joe, Jordan, and Hendo), and is lucky with loans and injuries, he could be a fine manager for our club. If he doesn't do all that, expect a bumpy ride (copyright Henry Irving).

There is a large element in the success of any manager, Powell was lucky that he was retained for his first full season, which turned out to be a great success, but what if we had not had the windfall of the Jenkinson money, Curbs could have gone after the then record losing streak in the Prem or not even appointed if we had had a similar windfall as the jenkinson money (or its equivalent at the time that Lennie went).

It is all based on the results now, he has had his period where it basically did not matter (after moving us away from the zone) but there will be higher expectations of the club next season and that will reflect on him, KM and RD in equal measure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Promotion in the bag by December or it's..................Luzon out! ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2015

but i've really taken to the guy,

I see what you did there ;)

• Options
    Addicted said:

I still think we did get a "Roland yes man", and it wasn't an open interview process. It's just that this one worked out well.

To be honest, managers hasnt really been where old Roly has fallen down. I liked Riga. Peeters honestly wasnt terrible (we all liked him at the start) and now the crouching Israeli has done well.

Basically I like him, seems the players like him, and he definitely likes himself.

Lets hope the recruitment over the summer means that we keep the same manager for a whole season (imagine that) due to having the quality in the squad to keep us out of any bad runs and near or in the playoffs.

I agree with a lot of this.

Guy Luzon said in his first interview he likes to win and doesn't like to lose, and in that regard I have agreed with him from day one.
    I really didn't like the manner of his appointment, and his online presence as it were, coupled with his inauspicious start, made me take against him from the off.
    I do agree he has knowledge of football (although he cheerily admitted to me he had never read the laws, as did every player I asked at the POTY :smile: ), and he has brought a continental style to our play.
    I have also met him personally, and found I liked him, and that encounter has done a lot to mitigate against my first impression of him, he was good humoured and had a warmth about him which surprised me as this does not come over in the interviews.
    He no longer makes my skin crawl or makes me want to vomit.
    However the coming season is going to be a test of the regime. It will be a minor miracle if a template for all things continental, can be placed onto the Charlton context with no regard to aspects of English football, or aspects of the history and culture at Charlton.
    I would like to see a shrewd Guy Luzon who does not see the championship competition with a blanket regard, but with a more forensic focus, and he either learns a lot very quickly about the game over here, or he gets good advice he can trust and work with.
    We would all like to win, we all hate to lose, and in addition I would like to see bigger attendances at the Valley. Guy and the regime can influence attendances and I hope it works out.
  • Options
    Agree with OP.
    But I have warmed to quirky Guy, in fact I earned a Bullseye of off Greenie Jnr he said we would finish 14th or worst I said higher, thanks to GL I won.
    So based on the above he will take us back to the promised land of Glory Boy Football next season.
    Arise SGL.
  • Options
    So far so good after really strange beginning.
  • Options

Unproven

Harsh ? What proven managers have Charlton appointed in the last 30 years.

• Options
    Was skeptical when he first came in but have been pleasantly surprised so far, and long may it continue.

Took a few weeks to start getting results, but once he'd had a look he started playing players (particularly JC) in the right positions and with the mentality to go out and attack. That run of winning 3-0 was brilliant!

Looking forward to seeing what he can do after a while pre-season and with some of his own signings.
  • Options
    I like what I've seen so far.

A lot depends on whether, now, he has got the bottle to stand up for the players he really wants to extend/sign - not just accept whatever is thrown his way.