Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours and News - Bite Size

edited June 2015 in General Charlton
No time to wade through the massive rumours thread? Get frustrated when other rumours and news threads go off piste? This thread is for you, you 'i haven't got time for this sh*t' miser.

No chat, just snippets of the latest Charlton rumours and news (and occasional bad puns)

1st May

Some no-nothing Tweet account starts the first Charlton related summer rumour, saying we have enquired about Preston's striker Joe Garner

Daily Mail
Charlton will listen to offers for wonderkid Joe Gomez this summer, sparking a summer transfer scramble for the youngster.
And Sportsmail understands the 17-year-old, having shown an initial reluctance, is now open to leaving the Valley ahead of the new season.
Gomez, a versatile defender who can play at right-back or central-defender, will be the target of numerous Premier League sides this summer.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United all have a concrete interest in the teenager - but it is understood Manchester City are emerging as the strongest contender for his signature.
Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet will sanction Gomez's - but wants at least £8million for the England Under-19 international.

11th May

19yr old Academy central defender Terrell Thomas signs a 2-year pro contract to 2017

Jack Munns joins Cheltenham

Belgium Twitter account links us with KRC Genk striker and all round wrong-un Ilombe Mboyo

Club announce former player John Hewie has died, aged 87

Number of papers (Mail, Express, Mirror, Guardian) all share the same story that Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal for Joe Gomez, though bizarrely the fee has now fallen from £8m to £1m

12th May

Club release 15 players:

•Tal Ben Haim
•Simon Church
•Chris Eagles
•Roger Johnson
•Lawrie Wilson
•Oguchi Onyewu
•Neil Etheridge
•Jack Munns
•Harry Osborne
•Harry Gerard
•Kadell Daniel
•Kurtis Cumberbatch
•Kieran Monlouis
•Rhys Browne
•Levander Pyke

Comments

• Interesting quotes from Polish Pete to Belgium website voetbalbelgie two days ago:

"My STVV loan period is over, but I have had no contact with Charlton. We are all in a holiday and my girlfriend is pregnant. Let it be clear: if I return to Charlton, I do not think I will play. Then I just like my previous passage again on the bench, or even end up in the stands. "

"I've been in England never had a fair chance. I was allowed three minutes to go my way and based on that I was "degraded". That often happens in England. Where is my future? That depends largely on Charlton. STVV already indicated that they want to keep me longer. There I would be very happy with it. But I fear that the amount still will not be enough to buy me. "

"Charlton has a lot of money down for me. They will anyway want to earn back the amount invested. When they decide to lend me again, my first choice STVV, but that again depends on Charlton."

• edited May 2015
    22nd May

Done for TBH. Israeli press speculate that although we might be losing one Tal Ben Haim, we might be signing another. The 25yr old winger has featured 11 times for Israel, and was rumoured to have attracted interest from Celtic last season. To be honest, it's hard to Tel (Aviv) if there is any substance to this rumour.

French paper L'Equipe report that CAFC owner Roland Duchatelet has bid €15m for French 2nd tier club RC Lens. However, it was later suggested that the 'bid' may have been a loan, and tied into some player ownership deal.

23rd May

Charlton loanee Joe Pigott comes off the bench for Southend at Wembley and smashes home an equalizer in the last seconds of extra time. He then steps up and slots home a penalty, with the Shrimpers later promoted. Well, we've had worse days Rodney...

24th May

Well equipped with Charlton news, L'Equipe now report we have expressed an interest in Nantes 29yr old left winger Vincent Bessat. L'Equipe are certainly proving to be Bessat Charlton rumours this summer....
  • 31st May

Former Addicks keeper Darren Randolph signs for West Ham, while pretty unreliable reports suggest QPR are interested in Igor Vetokele.
  • 5th June

The SLP report that we are keen to offload Rhoys Wiggins, Callum Harriott, Joe Pigott and Andre Bikey, are suggest we have been interested in Rotherham striker Ben Pringle but are expected to miss out to Fulham. Reports elsewhere link Johan Borg Gudmundsson with a move to Wolves.
  • 6th June

The Club announce two flagship home friendlies vs West Ham (Sat 25/7, 3pm), and Chievo (Sat 1/8, 3pm)

Full pre-season schedule is set out below (correct at time)

Welling United (A) - Saturday, July 11th (3pm)
    KRC Genk (A) - Wednesday, July 15th (6pm)
    Sint Truiden (A) – Saturday July 18th (8pm)
    Dulwich Hamlet (A) - Saturday, July 18th (3pm)*
    Dagenham & Redbridge (A) - Wednesday, July 22nd (7.30pm)
    Maidstone United (A) - Thursday, July 23rd (7.45pm)*
    West Ham United (H) - Saturday, July 25th (3pm)
    Southend United (A) - Tuesday, July 28th (7.45pm)
    Chievo Verona (H) - Saturday, August 1st (3pm)
    Chelmsford City (A) - Tuesday, August 4th (7.45pm)*

*CAFC XI fixtures
  • edited June 2015
    10th June

Released youngster Harry Osbourne signs for Welling United

14th June

Interest in Joe Gomez seems to be cranking up a notch in the national press and it starts to become clear it is very unlikely he will still be a Charlton player come the start of next season. A whole host of top-tier clubs appear to be interested, including Arsenal and Man City, but Liverpool are emerging as favourites according to the national press.

A number outlets also start to link Charlton with 22yr old German Patrick Bauer. A 6"4 central defender, he certainly passes the height test and has played 43 times for Maritimo in the Portugal's top flight.
  • 16th June

Charlton get drawn at home to Dagenham in the 1st round of the Capital One Cup, tie to be played w/b 10th August.

While Joe Gomez stories seem to intensify (with debate over whether there is a £3.5m release cause in his contract and whether Liverpool have triggered it), the next Charlton youngster to attract rumour is Jordan Cousins, said to be interesting Aston Villa.
  • Sponsored links:

• 17th June

Fixtures Day! Charlton get drawn a tough opening month, starting with a home tie to QPR which may prove appealing for a TV slot.

It is announced that Belgium misfit Christophe Lepoint has returned to Belgium with a move to SV Zulte Waregem
  • 18th June

The Joe Gomez saga seems to be coming to a close, with the world and his wife reporting he is to have a medical at Liverpool on Friday (19th) and sign a five year deal. All that is unknown is the fee; Most reports suggest the fee is a £3.5m release cause, but the SLP (Charlton's current favoured mouthpiece) are the main one's disputing this and suggest the fee is much higher.
  • 20th June

**DEPARTURE**

The Summer saga draws to a close with Joe Gomez's move to Liverpool confirmed. All news sources report the deal at £3.5m, though unofficially Charlton have been insinuating through friendly sources it is higher. Charlton Life were proud to be his first ever kit sponsor, and the 18 year old featured 24 times Charlton last season, winning Young Player of the Year.

• 22nd June

**SIGNING**

With typical German efficiency, 22-year old central defender Patrick Bauer become the first new man through the door, arriving for an undisclosed fee from Portuguese club Martimo.

• 23rd June

**DEPARTURE**

In a surprise move, highly respected goalkeeper coach Ben Roberts leaves the club to take up a similar position with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Meanwhile, the Birmingham Mail speculate of Aston Villa interest in Jordan Cousins, while other sources speculate Newcastle, Hull and Norwich are also showing an interest.

24th June

Not directly Charlton-related, but owner Roland Duchatelet relinquishes his ownership of Standard Liege, leaving Charlton positioned as the biggest club in the current network.
  • 30th June

With the squad expected to be boosted by a number of new faces in the coming fortnight, plenty of different rumours are circulating on potential new arrivals.

The South London Press are running with our interest (amongst others) in a loan for Watford defender Tommie Hoban. A correspondent for the Times suggests we are interested in loaning 6ft7 Danish striker Simon Makienok from his flop move last summer to Palermo, while Dutch striker Michiel Kramer continues to be linked.

Meanwhile, Simon Church is rumoured to have signed a deal with MK Dons.
  • edited July 2015
    Ist July

*Signing**

There had been rumours of a big signing, but we did not know they meant a giant. Yesterday's rumour of Simon Makienok proved correct, with the player arriving on a 12-month loan with a view to a permenant move and becoming the third signing of the summer. You can get 3/1 with Paddy Power that the Danish lamp post knocks himself unconscious on the crossbar during the 15/16 season.

---

Respected sources poo-pooed the other recent striker rumour regarding Michael Kramer.

---

Pushing the innovation button once again, the Club have come up with a novel way to market ST sales by involving the players as rewards for sales. The 100th ST sale from now will see Johnnie Jackson deliver it in Del Boy's three-wheeler. If you think that's bizarre enough, you should have heard the ideas from the marketing genius behind the pitch sex video on how to reward the 100th sale which sadly didn't make the cut....

Rumour has it the 200th sale will see Andre Bikey emerging from Camberwick Green's rotating musical box....

• 2nd July

Pastures new is the order of the day, with released goalkeeper Neil Etheridge signing for Walsall, while the SLP report that a bid from Wigan for Callum Harriott failed to meet our valuation for the 20-year old winger.
  • 6th July

20-year old keeper Dillon Phillips signs on loan for Cheltenham Town in the National League (or Conference to you and me) until January.

8th July

The Club, with no new players to reveal, decide to reveal some new kits instead. Nice.

• Sponsored links:

• 9th July

Southend's leather-faced manager Phil Brown states the club are keen to sign Joe Pigott for the forthcoming season;
    >"Charlton wanted to have a look at him during pre-season because the manager had never seen him play before.

“But they would have been back for a week or so now, so the manager will have more of an idea on Joe and might be in more of a position to decide whether or not he wants him to stay.

“We’ve certainly registered our interest"
  • 9th July

Starting to get twitchy about the squad being thinner than a slice of wafer-thin ham? So it Johnnie Jackson:
    “I think we still need a few players as we’ve got quite a small squad with a lot of young lads.

“We still need a little bit of help with a few bodies with a bit of experience to help us out.

“There are a lot of games in the Championship and they come about quickly, so people are bound to pick up injuries and your squad is tested.

“I think the club are trying to address that and then hopefully they’ll bring the right ones in and we’ll have a strong squad.”
  • 10th July

Having thought for weeks that it was nigh-on guaranteed that the ex-loanee will be signing permenantly this summer, at the last minute for whatever reason, Charlton decide not to bite the Bulot. The popular Gabonese winger now looks set to join French side Reims after a deal with the Addicks could not be agreed.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!