Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten games or less for Charlton in the 80's and 90's

edited May 2015 in General Charlton
The list below consists of players who played for Charlton Athletic in Ten or less League and Cup games during the 1980's and 1990's. Some names being back memories of vital goals, played in memorable games, whilst others bring you out in cold sweat and cursing how useless they were.

So any memories of these players? Any ideas of where they are now? If you like pick your best or worst eleven from them. Enjoy.

Goalkeepers

Jim Stannard, Lee Harmsworth, John Phillips and Simon Royce

Defenders

Reuben Agboola, Michael Paye, Martin Duffield, Danny O'Shea, Simeon Hodson, Steve Jacobs, Nigel Gray, Alan McDonald, Marcus Smart, Matt Elliott, Geoff Scott, Shane Westley, Duncan Horton, Steve Harrison, Alan Kimble, Matt Jackson, Andy Salako, Chris Wilder, Dean Chandler, Kevin Scott and Tom Hovi.

Midfielders

John MacDonald, Peter O'Sullivan, Steve Browne, Barry Little, Jimmy Loveridge, Ronnie Mauge, Darren Anderson, Viggo Jacobsen, Alan Davies, Jermaine Darlington, Scott Houghton, Danny Mills, Paul Emblen, David Wilson, Mark Tivey, Danny Walden, Ricky Otto, and Neil Heaney.

Forwards

Tony Booth, Paul Lazarus, Garry Kimble, Billy Beggs, Iain Ferguson, Leroy Rosenior, John Hendry, Dennis Bailey, Lee Power, Mike Small, Mark McCammon and Scott McGleish.

Comments

• Options
    Is that a different Danny Mills to the bald headed intentionally booked right back ?

• Options
    I thought Simon Royce was a brilliant keeper for someone so short. Surprised we never kept him as number two when we signed Deano. Just looked on his Wiki I seem to have no recollection of him resigning for us in 2003.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Is that a different Danny Mills to the bald headed intentionally booked right back ?

Yes this is the Danny Mills from Sky "Dream Team" fame who made a couple of substitute appearances in the Anglo Italian Cup
  • Options
    Neil Heaney is the obvious memory for me having played in that game. Kevin Scott also stands out for being so tall yet so shit in the air.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Did Paul Bacon really make more than 10 appearances?

Also, was Darren Anderson the one who played a blinder at Spurs in the FA Cup 1.1 over their place?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

The list below consists of players who played for Charlton Athletic in Ten or less League and Cup games during the 1980's and 1990's. Some names being back memories of vital goals, played in memorable games, whilst others bring you out in cold sweat and cursing how useless they were.

So any memories of these players? Any ideas of where they are now? If you like pick your best or worst eleven from them. Enjoy.

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Reuben Agboola, Michael Paye, Martin Duffield, Danny O'Shea, Simeon Hodson, Steve Jacobs, Nigel Gray, Alan McDonald, Marcus Smart, Matt Elliott, Geoff Scott, Shane Westley, Duncan Horton, Steve Harrison, Alan Kimble, Matt Jackson, Andy Salako, Chris Wilder, Dean Chandler, Kevin Scott and Tom Hovi.

Midfielders

John MacDonald, Peter O'Sullivan, Steve Browne, Barry Little, Jimmy Loveridge, Ronnie Mauge, Darren Anderson, Viggo Jacobsen, Alan Davies, Jermaine Darlington, Scott Houghton, Danny Mills, Paul Emblen, David Wilson, Mark Tivey, Danny Walden, Ricky Otto and Neil Heaney.

Forwards

Tony Booth, Paul Lazarus, Garry Kimble, Billy Beggs, Iain Ferguson, Leroy Rosenior, John Hendry, Dennis Bailey, Lee Power, Mike Small, Mark McCammon and Scott McGleish.

Dropped the ball with Matt Elliott. I suppose at the time Webster, Balmer were seen as better options, but Elliott was a great player
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Also, was Darren Anderson the one who played a blinder at Spurs in the FA Cup 1.1 over their place?

Paul Bacon - 42 League and Cup appearances.

Darren Anderson did not play in the Cup game against Spurs in 85. He played 9 games during 84/85 season scoring the one goal in a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    My memory is not what it used to be lol
  • Options
    cabbles said:

shirty5 said:

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

John MacDonald, Peter O'Sullivan, Steve Browne, Barry Little, Jimmy Loveridge, Ronnie Mauge, Darren Anderson, Viggo Jacobsen, Alan Davies, Jermaine Darlington, Scott Houghton, Danny Mills, Paul Emblen, David Wilson, Mark Tivey, Danny Walden, Ricky Otto and Neil Heaney.

Forwards

Dropped the ball with Matt Elliott. I suppose at the time Webster, Balmer were seen as better options, but Elliott was a great player
    Matt was before Webster and Balmer's days. He was around the time of Shirtliff and Pates during the 88/89 season. Sold that season to Torquay for 11.5k.
  • Options
    Ah yes, the impressively athletic and supremely skilful Mike Small...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    shirty5 said:

cabbles said:

shirty5 said:

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Matt was before Webster and Balmer's days. He was around the time of Shirtliff and Pates during the 88/89 season. Sold that season to Torquay for 11.5k.
    aaah, both were better at the time I guess and Elliott would've been really young. Bit like Michael Turner
  • Options
    cabbles said:

shirty5 said:

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Didn't Elliott come through our youth system ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cabbles said:

shirty5 said:

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Didn't Elliott come through our youth system ?
    No, signed from Epsom and Ewell for 5k, September 88.
  • Options
    As somebody who saw Matt Elliot's only CAFC appearance in a 3-1 win LC win over (I think) Lincoln City, can I say that you would never have said that he would have gone on to have the career he did.

He was very slow, got turned easily and was several classes below our other first choice centre backs.

A great example of a player, that went back to the bottom of the league, learnt his trade, and returned a much better player for it.
  • Options
    My only memory of Leroy Rosenior was a game at Upton Park where he was through on goal but he was convinced he was off-side so he stopped. Ref never blew and the defender just came back and took the ball off him.
  • Options
    Barry Little was a relative of mine, after dropping down the leagues he sadly passed away. Curbs seemed to really like him though, and even came along to the funeral. Shame he never made an impact during his time at Charlton.
  • Options
    Shane Westley lives about 4 doors down the road from me in Hockley, Essex

Bit of a Southend legend but rubbish for us as was Jim Stannard whos one and only game for us was a midweek 1-4 defeat to Cardiff when he had a shocker

Bit shocked the Kimbles had such few appearances as they were always knocking around the squad in the mid 80's
  • Options
    John Hendry one goal in 5 appearances according to Wiki but what a goal it was as rare as Halleys Comet
  • Options
    Geoff Scott. Good centre half, think he made his debut at Chelsea but got injured in his second or third game and neve played again
  • Options
    Best team - Royce, Jackson, McDonald, Elliott, Kimble, Otto, Emblen, Jacobsen, Heaney, Ferguson, McGleish

Worst team - Stannard, Duffield, Gray, Smart, Hovi, Houghton, Davies, Loveridge, O'Sullivan, Small, Bailey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You've missed me off Shirty, I definitely played less than 10 games for Charlton in the 80's and 90's........
  • Options
    Lee Harmsworth was a kid who found himself plunged in for our thumping at City as they clinched promotion back to the top tier in a packed ground steeped in character and history (no, not the airline one). Poor sod froze in the headlights and never appeared again. He looked about 5'6" and never earned his own Solly-style song.
  • Options
    Neil Heaney remains a favourite not just for his brief role in helping us up during those magic play-offs, but for decking the horrible cheating little shite who can usually be found now looking annoying alongside Gus Poyet (or at the job centre).
  • Options
    Alan Davies was a winger who'd played a few games for Utd. including the Cup Finals v Brighton, and who I believe played only half a game for us at Gay Meadow. Tragically he died aged 30.
  • Options
    Viggo Jacobsen: While Spurs had their two World Cup Argentinians, we had our not-quite-so-famous Danes; him and an ice hockey international called Johnny Oostergard. Viggo was a little midfielder of similar build to our Danish former European Footballer of the Year. Sadly that was where the similarities ended.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Johnny Oostergard scored an absolute belter at Wrexham if I recall correctly. We still lost 3.2 and got done by them 6.0 in the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:

Lee Harmsworth was a kid who found himself plunged in for our thumping at City as they clinched promotion back to the top tier in a packed ground steeped in character and history (no, not the airline one). Poor sod froze in the headlights and never appeared again. He looked about 5'6" and never earned his own Solly-style song.

I read at the time that they were considering starting with Gritty in goal for that game.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

That was Dave Madden.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

I thought Simon Royce was a brilliant keeper for someone so short. Surprised we never kept him as number two when we signed Deano. Just looked on his Wiki I seem to have no recollection of him resigning for us in 2003.

Agreed, and neither do i. He wasn't short though, 6ft 2 according to wiki...
  • Options
    Dean Chandler - thought he played more than 3 games for us, but then again maybe his name is more prominent in my mind based on the big news he caused when he tested positive for cannibis along with Lee Bowyer.

Something tells me he scored one goal in those 3 games as well, away at Reading on last day of the season at Elm Park? I was only 7-8 at the time so can't remember for sure.